Is De Bruyne the best midfielder the EPL has ever had?

Who has been the best for you?

• De Bruyne

Votes: 134 28.5%
  • Lampard

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • Scholes

Votes: 51 10.8%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 202 42.9%
  • Vieira

Votes: 25 5.3%
  • Keane

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • Silva

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Toure

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Other? (please name)

Votes: 10 2.1%

• Total voters
Just having him in the team seems to lift the rest of the players...Certainly up there with the best of them.

Remember when Benitez moved Gerrard right mid and in behind the striker cause he had absolutely no discipline in the centre of the park and kept bombing forward leaving big gaps everywhere?

I find it quite strange how he is remembered post career. No doubt a great player on his day capable of incredible moments.

There were regularly articles written during his playing career about his ability to actually dictate matches and be at the heart of a midfield.

De Bruyne has more assists in half the games, a better goals per game ratio and is infinitely better at controlling a game of football.

Gerrard is nowhere near him overall.

I'd vote Gerrard as he carried a relatively poor Liverpool side to many successes and had he played with a better team he'd have shown himself to be even better. There's always a huge debate between Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in regards to who was the better player and KDB will deserve to be in the conversation as all were fantastic footballers. It'll be interesting to see how the vote goes.

Maybe. But he was pretty much hated on here up until he took our job.

Lampard used to run away with these polls when the forum was full of Chelsea fans!
There was a gurning competition on here when he slipped v Chelsea and regularly Lampard was viewed as better than him. Fast forward to 2018 and he suddenly became a world class player, and his worldwide popularity was so much that we could open a Rangers shop in Bangui and make a fortune off the back of him. Some banger on here even said he had more world wide appeal and brand than Beckham. :oops: :))

I don’t think Keane, Viera and Toure should be there because they are totally different types of midfielders you’d have them in your team everyday of the week as leaders and captains they’d be up there as the best and defensively as well outstanding.
Gerrard and Lampard as leaders again outstanding but going forward and attacking with the rest out the selections amazing for goals and going forward exciting to watch.
Different times as well footballs has changed a lot I think I think they are all equally as amazing players I couldn’t pick between any of them.

Pleased to see that the good people of FF have mainly voted for Gerrard. It’s not that he’s an ex Rangers manager. It’s simply because he was the best player. He was incredible.

Hard to argue otherwise. At his best Toure was incredible too
One of the greatest sights you could see at the etihad was Yaya in full flow on a barnstorming 60 yard run through the middle, no fker was getting in his way. None of the other guys on this list could have gotten near him he was such a powerhouse. He'd spend the next 10 minutes grossly out of puff, mind!

A goal he scored against Villa towards the end of the '14 season sums that side of his game up.

Remember when Benitez moved Gerrard right mid and in behind the striker cause he had absolutely no discipline in the centre of the park and kept bombing forward leaving big gaps everywhere?

I find it quite strange how he is remembered post career. No doubt a great player on his day capable of incredible moments.

There were regularly articles written during his playing career about his ability to actually dictate matches and be at the heart of a midfield.

De Bruyne has more assists in half the games, a better goals per game ratio and is infinitely better at controlling a game of football.

Gerrard is nowhere near him overall.

Rodri controls games for Man City, not kdb

KDB's passing / shooting.
Silva at keeping the ball.
Keane's leadership.
Gerrard's desire.
Vieira's tackling.

Overall, you could argue KDB or Gerrard. Depends what you prefer.

He’s definitely in the discussion and is probably the best technical player in the list, but I wouldn’t say he’s better than all of the players mentioned.

Obviously it's subjective but for me he is the best attacking/ball playing CM but likes of Vieira had more to his game defensively.
Also worth noting that most of the rest played V one another so playing against tougher opponents.

Back