Is goldson spriralling down or just knackered?

POTY in the title winning season. But like far too many Gerrard-era players, we've held on to him for too long. People are just sick of the sight of him, Tav, Lundstram, Borna etc because they're associated with far too much failure now (looks that way yet again after having it in our own hands). We need to freshen it up.

He was POTY on here only.

He didn't reach the shortlist 4 players for the professional players or writers awards.

Think he thinks he is better than he actually is. And he got dropped after dundee game for constantly trying 60 yard passes n turning possession over. That said he probably still our best defender
Those passes were a strong point when we played a different way either out to tav or to Kent on the left.

Silva doesn't have pace for it and tav is getting played in inverted fb role so no need for the long passes.

Clement needs to get his own players in to play the role he wants them to play but we already knew good few of this squad can't play the way clement wants to and are probly physically and mentally done.

Clement does need to be pragmatic a little and play a way that suits the players till he gets his own players in and injuries clear up.

He wants to play with inverted fbs and moving ball fast with wingers providing the width like ange did with them

You look at Carter vickers he's a good player but playing that way puts a lot of miles into the body and 2 sessions of it has pretty much turned him into injury ridden mess this year.

This is problem playing this way the cbs have a lot of work to do to play that way covering wide as well as centrally normally holding a high line.

Gio played this way as well to an extent but mainly when bassey was in the team as his pace could help recover.

Goldson can't play this way without a pacy partner or one like helander who is good at reading game.

I like balogun and his pace helps but he is a prone to mistakes as goldson and souttar

I'm not really sure what's happened to us since benfica is difficult to say the away game we were excellent but the home game was a strange

Was bizarre in going man for man at the back and overloading at corners against genuine pace is why we lost the goal.

We sometimes just need be simple and not over complicate things and play to our strengths

He was POTY on here only.

He didn't reach the shortlist 4 players for the professional players or writers awards.
Thought I remembered him getting something that season mate. Maybe a club one then although I know McGregor got the main award (remember the pic of him with it absolutely blootered :)))

Either way, I think that was Goldson's best season with us and there should've been a natural parting of the ways when his contract ended. I don't know why we've still got players who've won 1 league title out of 6.

Thought I remembered him getting something that season mate. Maybe a club one then although I know McGregor got the main award (remember the pic of him with it absolutely blootered :)))

Either way, I think that was Goldson's best season with us and there should've been a natural parting of the ways when his contract ended. I don't know why we've still got players who've won 1 league title out of 6.

Yes, it was has best season JC, but his fellow professionals disagreed with FF as to how good it was. So did the scottish writers, despite both naming all Rangers shortlists.

McGregor, Tav, Davis & Kent were nominated, albeit Kent only with the writers. I forget the 4th Ranger nominated by the pros, but it wasn't Goldson.

Similar to lundstram and tav. They don’t miss games and haven’t since they signed.

They all came onto a game when clement came in but now are pretty poor (to say the least)

Are the games catching up with them or are the just in need of a really good break?
Tiredness same with the captain who could have been doing with a break himself but we loaned our cover for him to Motherwell.

Tav is a good defender and you're dumb
Ask players from other teams in our league,according to a St Boo player they planned to deliberately target Tav due to his poor defending,well that's other clubs opinions,I don't know about Goldson it depends if PC is keeping him sweet by saying he will play a part in our final games ,we will have to wait and see

I think Connor has lost some pace, which helped him out at times, plus looks shattered. Performance levels are down and not sure he will get them back. Still under contract for 2 more years, so will be difficult to shift if the manager wants a younger centre back in.

With Connor Goldson I am not defending in any way we forget that not long before he came to Rangers he had major cardiac surgery he then thought his playing days were over.

Ask players from other teams in our league,according to a St Boo player they planned to deliberately target Tav due to his poor defending,well that's other clubs opinions,I don't know about Goldson it depends if PC is keeping him sweet by saying he will play a part in our final games ,we will have to wait and see
Nope, yet again that was something that was taken and twisted to suit an anti-Tav agenda. What he said was it was a position on the pitch he hoped they could find joy because him and the other player on that side for St M have forget a great bond and hopefully it would reap rewards. And it didn't.

In fact not only did they fail to target Tavernier's area of the pitch successfully, but he also managed to provide a match winning assist.

With Connor Goldson I am not defending in any way we forget that not long before he came to Rangers he had major cardiac surgery he then thought his playing days were over.
I wasn’t aware of this.

Is it common knowledge? Did the club know before they signed him?

We tried to sign deoki sp
On a bosman
I know transfer market isn't too reliable but 17m he's rated it on there

We paid 4m for a player on Davies that we should have gotten better value for money,all because Liverpool signed him never played him once
A decent scouting team we require I think with the guy in charge now we won't be overpaying to keep players and not signing injury prone players that showed a glimpse of being great 6 years ago
Our fans don't even mention Davies when discussing defensive options. That's how bad a signing he has been.

The 3 have seen off several Rangers managers now.

They will see off Clement if they’re allowed to remain as the “leadership group”.
Aye, nothing to do with GvB not getting to grips with Scottish football and playing totally turgid football domestically?

You could actually argue the point 'the 3' kept GvB in a job longer by playing the best football of their careers in getting us to a Euro final?.....while one of the players who 'gets it' was chucking in goals left, right and centre as our title challenge crumbled?

One of 'the 3' being injured the following season, forcing GvB to use a combination of Sands, King and Davies at CB, actually didn't help GvB.

'The 3' made Beale sell all his wingers, spend his transfer kitty on crap and then come up with some bizarre narrow formation.

Yep it's all down to 'the 3'.

The amount he's played over the last few seasons, even through injury takes it's toll on anyone, especially his age

Goldson has come back before, so time will tell. Some say 'the legs have gone' which might be true with the way we want to squeeze the pitch compared to say Davie Weir who would sit deep when his legs had gone. But I think it looked more like his confidence deserted him for whatever reason.

Very few were defending him after the Ross county game. This happens all of the time with certain players. They play badly, get slated then within a few weeks all is forgotten and the excuses come out as to why they were poor that game. The fact is the guy just isn't good enough and will cost us again this season when he's brought back in.
Agree that he's not a Terry Butcher, Richard Gough, Graham Roberts, Bomber Brown but depends what you mean by good enough. In the market we are in, he has been a great bit of business. He's played well against some top European clubs. Definitely something not right with him over the last few games before he was dropped but hopefully the rest is what's needed.

Aye, nothing to do with GvB not getting to grips with Scottish football and playing totally turgid football domestically?

You could actually argue the point 'the 3' kept GvB in a job longer by playing the best football of their careers in getting us to a Euro final?.....while one of the players who 'gets it' was chucking in goals left, right and centre as our title challenge crumbled?

One of 'the 3' being injured the following season, forcing GvB to use a combination of Sands, King and Davies at CB, actually didn't help GvB.

'The 3' made Beale sell all his wingers, spend his transfer kitty on crap and then come up with some bizarre narrow formation.

Yep it's all down to 'the 3'.
Thing is Gerrard knew after we won 55 we needed be signings we didn't get what we needed.

Gio the names going around heavily that he wanted we didn't get ended up with matondo, lawerence etc - pretty sure gio would never have heard of him.

After seville we really badly needed 3/4 quality players

Gio ultimately wasnt strong enough but we when it was good it really good when it was bad it was bad. But with better recruitment it might have been different.

Beale was inexcusable by the board even having him at that Aberdeen game near the end of gios reign was poor

Right from 55 it has been recruitment We have made punts on players with no real plan about putting them into a team

Where we are falls on the board sadly they have done a lot right and deserve the praise for that but recruited poorly, didn't manage the squad well at all when players get to 18 months left in contact the board has to take control and say they are being sold in the summer no matter what even if it means reduced fee

Reactions: ao2
Been spiraling for a while now. If he heads to Saudi and gets us some money I wo t be sad to see him go.

I'd be surprised if there are many outfield footballers who have played more games for their club over the last 4 years

Last edited:
Did I hear a rumour he had to move out of his home in Bishopbriggs? There was a local rumour that he was getting grief from some numbnuts in our support. This was according to a guy that lives near him.

Not sure if true but his form has taken a major dive of late and then of course there’s the unsettling rumours of a move to camel country.

Can’t be easy for the big guy. Not making excuses for his footballing misgivings but it’s a tough gig. If he plays I hope he has one last push on to honours.

Did I hear a rumour he had to move out of his home in Bishopbriggs? There was a local rumour that he was getting grief from some numbnuts in our support. This was according to a guy that lives near him.

Not sure if true but his form has taken a major dive of late and then of course there’s the unsettling rumours of a move to camel country.

Can’t be easy for the big guy. Not making excuses for his footballing misgivings but it’s a tough gig. If he plays I hope he has one last push on to honours.

Complete nonsense. He stays not far from me as have many Rangers players who have played for us.

A local rumour? Good grief. Complete drivel.

Complete nonsense. He stays not far from me as have many Rangers players who have played for us.

A local rumour? Good grief. Complete drivel.
Good to hear it then. I know he was in the cadder estate. Glad he’s still there or if he has moved then it’s for other reasons.

Similar to lundstram and tav. They don’t miss games and haven’t since they signed.

They all came onto a game when clement came in but now are pretty poor (to say the least)

Are the games catching up with them or are the just in need of a really good break?
We’re not a support that generally gives the benefit of the doubt but he’s played too much football as have the other two mentioned. When we start winning leagues again there has to be two of equal ability, leadership and trust in all of those positions. We will likely fall short this year due to over reliance on these players.

A bit of both. He averages around 53/54 games a season since 2018. It’s mad.

He’s lost a yard, definitely, but frankly Balogun and Souttar get away with stuff he’d be pilloried for.

We are a weird support.
Agreed- he came back too quick last season to help and he’s sufferedwith injuries snd knocks as a result.

All supports are weird but the negativity in here is certainly close to unbearable. Some folk professing to be fans actually seem to hate their own players. They treat cheats like Clancy and Robertson better. It’s always the empty vessels that shout loudest too.

Some fans convinced themselves he would play into his late 30s and simply refuse to countenance any evidence of a decline.

To be fair to him, he only turned 31 in December. He also seems to be pretty convinced he can do that, in his much maligned podcast appearance he talked about Pepe and claimed he wants to try to emulate that. So it's not just fans thinking he's still got plenty more to give, he does too. He has declined, but he's still our best defender. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get better players in during the summer, though.

I think his decline is being greatly exaggerated, but if this season has made me realise anything, it's that the likes of Tav and Goldson shouldn't be playing in every single minute any more. We should be at a place where we have the squad to rotate. Our defence shouldn't be a bombscare just because Goldson isn't there. We aren't really at that place at the moment, Balogun and Souttar have been just as jittery as Goldson and Souttar. A third proper option, in that mix is probably what we should aim for this summer.

Back