Jacko blames Scotland results on Regan

Chesney was becoming more and more awkward with the press as time went on ... basically playing dumb when anything like a tricky question was put to him. This is his norm when things aren't going to plan as he thinks he is deflecting all the pressure from the players onto him when in reality he is just left looking like a clueless clown. That kind of behaviour doesn't go down well with fans ...

Three things I don't understand:

1) Why he is like that with the media when he himself has made a pretty decent living from that source for many a year.

2) Why is there any great surprise when he gets the sack for bad results when he goes on record as saying the results are nothing to with the players, they are down to him.

3) Why the media are still pulling for him - is it simply because they know he will give them easy and good copy with his strange behaviour.

Bill leckie om talksport there asked what's wrong with Scottish football, his answer was the teachers strike and souness coming to us
So its the fault of teachers and Rangers

Seriously - is this the teacher's strike from the '80s? Did he expand on the reasons regarding Souness?

The level of footballing analysis from Scottish journalists is dire and outdated.

They had to get rid of Strachan as he failed to qualify and ultimately that was his remit. He also stuck with aging players rather than freshening up his squad.

McLeish was the wrong appointment. He has been a disaster in his last few positions and was never going to improve our national team.

In view of this I think McLeish has to go along with the people who brought him in which includes Reagan etc.

McLeish has shown so far he isn't up for the job and we need someone who would build a team from the back as there is good players out there. We also need someone who isn't afraid to drop Tierney and say you know what, Robertson is our best left back therefore you are not playing.

Seriously - is this the teacher's strike from the '80s? Did he expand on the reasons regarding Souness?

The level of footballing analysis from Scottish journalists is dire and outdated.
Yeah it was the teachers strike from the 80s
Apparently when souness came in no Scottish players were played leading to a 'lost generation 'of Scottish players caused by Rangers

Apparently when souness came in no Scottish players were played leading to a 'lost generation 'of Scottish players caused by Rangers

What a load of utter shite.

Anyway, Strachan was murder and had to go but did anybody really expect big Eck to be an improvement? Been a long time since he was a successful manager.

Yeah it was the teachers strike from the 80s

Utterly bizarre and clueless. We had 9 Scottish players in team vs. Leeds in the Champions League, for example.

Strachan should have went after two failed campaigns.

The minute every home nation bar us qualified for Euro 2016 has job became untenable.

You can't have nations like:

Northern Ireland
Albania
Wales
Iceland
Hungary
Slovakia
Republic of Ireland

Qualifying for major tournaments whilst Scotland miss out and expect to keep your job.
nailed it......................................

TBF to Strachan, since the beginning of 2013/14 season :

Competitively - he only lost to Germany, England, Slovakia and Georgia
Friendlies - he only lost to Italy, Denmark, France and England.

Now you can argue that Strachan should've went after two failed campaigns but the one thing he did have Scotland doing was competing. But the idea McLeish was the man to improve on his efforts was so boneheaded and nonsensical that it could almost have been taken as some sort of practical joke on the country.

McLeish is taking this team to a whole new level of shittiness.
Tin hat etc. ... but I thought Strachan did a decent job with what he had, i.e. not much!

Unfortunately it doesn't look very good going forward now.

Our players are not very good. The real issue is how we develop players at youth level. Iceland showing the way. I doubt we will qualify for anything in at least the next ten years.

In amongst all the other irrelevant background noise, this is the crux of the matter.

We ain't producing players. That is what we need to address.

That probably involves a wide ranging programme of change, changing league formats, vastly improving refereeing standards, income distribution, TV money distribution, government involvement and funding, more indoor facilities, how we play youth football, training youth coaches, etc

We are still stuck in the mid 20th century where "going in hard" and "giving it everything you've got" are more highly valued than instantly getting a ball under control with your first touch.

Bill leckie om talksport there asked what's wrong with Scottish football, his answer was the teachers strike and souness coming to us
So its the fault of teachers and Rangers

The teachers strike has been blamed for the decline fo Scottish sport for decades - load of bollix.

I don't really know what the reason is for the decline in the national team, and the turmoil at the SFA and SPFL, but I'm sure as Hell fucking enjoying every last minute of it.

Bill Leckie knows the square root of fa. He can't resist the urge to denigrate us at any and every opportunity no matter how ludicrous the circumstances or context. It's pathetic.

I wouldn't relieve myself on him if he was on fire.

I despised Regan , but this one cannot be laid at his door , the quality just isnt there , who the feck is the tight back he is gash,as are the central defenders , the truth of the matter is we dont have players with technical ability , we cannot defend , the midfield dont create chances and the forwards are powder puff , the reasons for the demise of the national team are many fold , but the self interest of the clubs and one in particular means nothing will change for the foreseeable future .

After Chesney's 'Big lads and lassies should get together to produce larger offspring' comment he was never going to keep his job.

Back