John Greig achievement award

So what should we do? Not have an awards night?
I’d say so. If you have the odd poor season that’s fair enough, but rewarding players for being pretty consistent in failure doesn’t sit right, especially when it’s a complete bottle job. Think a lot of fans have gotten as comfortable with being second best as these players though so not much will change anyway. Anyway it is what it is, I just think players failing us then getting pats on the back and shiny trinkets isn’t in keeping with the ethos of our club and what we’re meant to be all about.

I’d say so. If you have the odd poor season that’s fair enough, but rewarding players for being pretty consistent in failure doesn’t sit right, especially when it’s a complete bottle job. Think a lot of fans have gotten as comfortable with being second best as these players though so not much will change anyway. Anyway it is what it is, I just think players failing us then getting pats on the back and shiny trinkets isn’t in keeping with the ethos of our club and what we’re meant to be all about.

Think you need a new team, maybe even another sport

This place is becoming unbearable. So many people trying to outdo each other on who can be the most raging.

And they claim to be the best fans in the world :rolleyes:

Miserable bastards tbh.
Same people stinking up every thread.

I've a few pals have given up on Follow Follow due to the constant negativity, the place is unbearable after a bad result.

You'd think we were in a relegation battle, not sitting with an outside chance of securing a treble, with 5 games to go.

Goldson's been a great servant having overcome personal adversity. He deserves recognition.

The OP should take a day off, or preferably the rest of the season.

Think you need a new team, maybe even another sport
Me? I think some of you guys would be more at home at Fir Park or the like going on some of these takes. Our support are meant to be demanding, it doesn’t really feel much like that now.

I never ever get why we have the awards night before the end of the season.

Also topscorer could still be Dessers especially when he grabs a hat-trick against them.

8f06fa58b5f99712eab4f2f63a19ba57527dbffd.gif

I never ever get why we have the awards night before the end of the season.

Also topscorer could still be Dessers especially when he grabs a hat-trick against them.
Every team does it, not just us.

Obviously doesn't make it right though. Should be at the end of the season once all games have been played.

Imagine Bisgrove calling john greig and being like ‘hi john, we have had to ignore your award and recind it. Some guy that works on a boat (nothing wrong with that before anyone starts) and whores out castore clobber, pretending to be the most ITK guy at the club has decided you know nothing’.

‘Mate, who cares if you are the greatest ever ranger. Have you tweeted any insider info? I thought not. Next time, stop acting like you understand football’.

Line goes dead.

No wonder they laugh at us.

What the hell have we become.
They had a poty awards night when the blew the 10. Every club does it. Take a night off mate. If goldson is to go, the idea that we haven’t been better because of him is ludicrous. He has had a hard year personally with his children, far far more important than football, so let him have his recognition.

Can only imagine the state of some of the moaning bastards during the early 80s and I’m sure periods before when we were regularly playing second fiddle to a host of clubs in Scotland. There’s a sizeable chunk of our “support” that give our club and players more abuse than our enemies these days. It’s a complete riddy

To be honest just the general idea of our players getting award ceremonies after what we’ve had to endure seems a bit messed up.
League Cup winners, in final of Scottish Cup, in with an outside chance of the league and lastb16 of Europa, all after the car crash summer transfer business and the state Beale left us in. I get we should be in a better place regards the leage but what exactly is messed up about the players having an awards ceremony?

Goldson, while he deserves to currently be on the bench (although we looked no stronger at the back today without him), has given credibility back to the term ‘rangers centre half’. The attitude of some of our fans absolutely disgusts me. Especially given the majority would be fawning over him if they met him in real life. Anonymous accounts online and X trying to get staunch likes. Absolute riot.

League Cup winners, in final of Scottish Cup, in with an outside chance of the league and lastb16 of Europa, all after the car crash summer transfer business and the state Beale left us in. I get we should be in a better place regards the leage but what exactly is messed up about the players having an awards ceremony?
Exactly. If anything it will be good for morale and team bonding.

I think a lack of success and the amount of so-near-but-so-far occasions over recent seasons have made a lot of people in the support quite bitter, even resentful toward some players, Goldson being one of them.

I'm not in any way defending the wave of negativity on socials with this announcement, far from it, I agree with people that it's embarrassing. I also, from a certain angle, see the point of view of those who only see winners medals as the barometer for any kind of personal accolade at Rangers, I understand that we have standards and expectations as a support, but those standards and exceptions are also mirrored back onto us as fans and supporters.

We can't have folk abusing our own players on socials over an award and it has to be taken into account what John Greig considers when looking at who to bestow the award on each year. Connor Goldson has hit 300 games in record time, barely misses a game, and has recovered from serious heart surgery to do so. You can't be demanding that this and that is what makes a Ranger when you don't do so yourselves.

And I'm trying to type this up and be as balanced as I can, but the context of the award and who hands it out has to taken into account. It's not the John Greig "Who's Won The Most" Achievement Award.

Achievement award should be reserved for just that, achievement. Goldson has achieved nothing aside from putting in continuously worse performances. We should not be handing out an award like this to jobbers who don't deserve it.

Edit, before anyone comments: I mean this in terms of we should not feel obliged to give out this award every year, especially when it is not merited. Save it for special occasions, essentially.

Achievement award should be reserved for just that, achievement. Goldson has achieved nothing aside from putting in continuously worse performances. We should not be handing out an award like this to jobbers who don't deserve it.

Picked up my new dictionary today. Got some updated definitions in it:

Nothing: A league title, league Cup, Scottish Cup and Europa League Runners Up while being the player to reach 300 games the quickest at Rangers.

Goes to Connor Goldson deary deary me do we hand out rewards for anything these days

What do you think the award is for? Success on the park?

About 10 seconds of research would tell you from the club website:

John Greig Achievement Award

Another hugely prestigious prize, where the Greatest Ranger of all, John Greig, selects a worthy recipient for their dedication to the club, and honouring the timeless values which define Rangers.

If JG sees it in Goldson, who are you to argue?

Can only imagine the state of some of the moaning bastards during the early 80s and I’m sure periods before when we were regularly playing second fiddle to a host of clubs in Scotland. There’s a sizeable chunk of our “support” that give our club and players more abuse than our enemies these days. It’s a complete riddy
Christ some seasons in the 80’s we weren’t close to being even second best,third if we were lucky

Back