John Greig achievement award

Picked up my new dictionary today. Got some updated definitions in it:

Nothing: A league title, league Cup, Scottish Cup and Europa League Runners Up while being the player to reach 300 games the quickest at Rangers.

You have been quick on the trigger and have got in before I edited my post with an explanation of what I meant.

"Edit, before anyone comments: I mean this in terms of we should not feel obliged to give out this award every year, especially when it is not merited. Save it for special occasions, essentially."

Achievement award should be reserved for just that, achievement. Goldson has achieved nothing aside from putting in continuously worse performances. We should not be handing out an award like this to jobbers who don't deserve it.

Edit, before anyone comments: I mean this in terms of we should not feel obliged to give out this award every year, especially when it is not merited. Save it for special occasions, essentially.

Spend five seconds looking into the basis of the award. Please.

Achievement award should be reserved for just that, achievement. Goldson has achieved nothing aside from putting in continuously worse performances. We should not be handing out an award like this to jobbers who don't deserve it.

Edit, before anyone comments: I mean this in terms of we should not feel obliged to give out this award every year, especially when it is not merited. Save it for special occasions, essentially.
It’s not fit on the park performances, I’m sure you knew that though eh :rolleyes:

And given there’s a good chance he’ll be gone in the summer this was the last opportunity to recognise what the guy has come through and gone on to achieve in terms of appearances and overall consistent levels and attitude as a ranger

Achieved nothing. Dearie me. Suppose he played no part in turning us into a serious side again from a laughingstock and had no involvement whatsoever in our trophies our European runs, the best in our lifetime arguably. Another who needs to get a grip

Have you considered escalating this to Goldson ( he could give back the award on your recommendation) Greig or the club. If that gives you no joy perhaps UEFA or FIFA complaint route ?

Yep we love rewarding failure the happy clappers and fan boys are happy with 2nd best well I’ll tell you something this Rangers team are serial losers and the facts prove that 1 title in 7 years
Was John Greig a serial loser? After all, he had a decade without a title.

By your own metric, that makes him a serial loser since it's 1 and a half times longer than the current crop.

Achieved nothing. Dearie me. Suppose he played no part in turning us into a serious side again from a laughingstock and had no involvement whatsoever in our trophies our European runs, the best in our lifetime arguably. Another who needs to get a grip
It's okay that we have different opinions. :)

I saw one prominent one calling for Clement to go earlier. Cabbages is kind.
Clement can only do what he had Beale along with the previous recruitment a hand tied behind his back

I will say that since of his decisions lately have not been as good as earlier in the season.

That said the issue come from the brilliant start he had of he had a few of games here and there and we were 3 points behind people would prob have been less angry

fact its all happened When we could have went clear at league 2/3 games in a row had added pressure that probably isn't deserved with what he has had to work with.

I knew I seen this it would be full of the usual torn faced posters raging about it.its sadly all to predictable.not only are they running down Connor Goldson for getting the award,what is even more pathetic they are running down the greatest ever Ranger as voted by the supporters because fir deciding to give the award to goldson.

GMR8fi7XwAEY7b5

I've a few pals have given up on Follow Follow due to the constant negativity
I nearly did when I got banned just after halftime v Kilmarnock for suggesting the "supporters" going all in calling the team shitebags were in fact the real shitebags and that a match lasts 90 minutes, not 45.

Meanwhile the same posters get tore into our players time and time again without ever disappearing, despite what the rules say.

Looks like They’ve stopped tweeting. Last post 30 mins ago.
Gets ruined for everyone else, the sort of thing that could have been made available after on Rtv. Great chance to get some interviews and stories from Legends about our club, I see the players all sat drinking water but it's probably sparkling water which will offend the idiots on social media...bizarre bunch

Me? I think some of you guys would be more at home at Fir Park or the like going on some of these takes. Our support are meant to be demanding, it doesn’t really feel much like that now.
The players can't win a game of football sat drinking water in the Hilton mate, take the night off

He probably didn't pick the award up incase he dropped it

Much like the cross ball he chose to let go in the Euro Final

After Goldson chose not to clear the ball in Seville I probably should have as I still wake up with cold sweats about what he chose not to do.

Utterly inexcusable
I think it’s clear he didn’t go for it for fear of putting it into his own net.

We had a chance to win it on penalties and Ramsey blew it

There’s a culture of backslapping and self congratulation inside Rangers that needs changed.

Bennett and Bisgrove set the tone.

Giving Goldson an award just after he’s been dropped for being the biggest flop in a team that have likely just chucked the league away is very typical of today’s Rangers.
Bisgrove has been rewarded for persistent failure, it's a knock on effect.

He probably didn't pick the award up incase he dropped it

Much like the cross ball he chose to let go in the Euro Final
You obviously don’t watch much football. Defenders often have 2 choices, stretch a leg and risk it going into your own net or trust that your central defensive partner is picking up their man and clears it. So yes, Connor could have stuck his leg out, but equally Bassey could’ve been covering across as well.
There was much more than that one moment that decided the game.
I suggest if you can’t get over it you maybe need to seek a bit of professional help, it was almost 2 years ago. Listen to Elsa. Let it go

Miserable bastards tbh.
Same people stinking up every thread.

I've a few pals have given up on Follow Follow due to the constant negativity, the place is unbearable after a bad result.

You'd think we were in a relegation battle, not sitting with an outside chance of securing a treble, with 5 games to go.

Goldson's been a great servant having overcome personal adversity. He deserves recognition.

The OP should take a day off, or preferably the rest of the season.
Doesn't even need a bad result. Started before we kicked a ball today. Continued after we won and is still continuing tonight. Can't say I blame your mates for chucking it. Think I'll be joining them soon. It's soul destroying at times and to be honest, I just don't recognise a Rangers support with the defeatist attitudes and the sheer vitriol toward our own, that you see on here.

Doesn't even need a bad result. Started before we kicked a ball today. Continued after we won and is still continuing tonight. Can't say I blame your mates for chucking it. Think I'll be joining them soon. It's soul destroying at times and to be honest, I just don't recognise a Rangers support with the defeatist attitudes and the sheer vitriol toward our own, that you see on here.
I'm more in the lounge than the Bear Pit tbh

From where we were when Clement took over, every single person on this board would have taken that as signs of progress.
We were top of the league, we no longer are and are unlikely to win the league. Where we were 7 months ago is irrelevant.

Would losing the league next season a game later or by a point less than this season be progress?

Good to see the moaning bores getting absolutely slaughtered for a change

Put them back in their box for a day or 2
I've started using this place like I use Twitter, I now just put those moaning bores and what I'd call arseholes on ignore. Makes this place that wee bit more tolerable. Just because some folk say they support Rangers doesn't mean I have to endure there constant shite.

Prior to Goldson arriving we got knocked out the EL to Progres Niederkorn, conceded FIFTY league goals, finished 3rd and lost 5 goals to Hibs in the final match of the season.

He arrived and the defence instantly became better. We qualified for the EL against all odds, primarily due to great defensive displays and that laid a great foundation for what Gerrard was to deliver. We conded only 27 league goals that season nearly a 50% reduction.

Has Goldson been perfect? No he hasn't. But he's a far better defender than people give him credit for. You would think after the true shite we watched prior to his arrival people would realise that.

Could we have won more trophies during his time here? Yes we could. Is Goldson the reason for us not? Not really, but people just like to have a fall guy to make themselves feel better about the collective shortcomings of the team.

He's on the decline and probably time to go but he fully deserves this award for his services to the club. 308 games is remarkable in 6 seasons. A ridiculous amount of football to have played in that period.

He’s the quickest to 300 appearances in our history, was a colossus in the 55 season and cost us £3.5m, a pittance in today’s market. He’s been in poor form and may indeed be off but he’s absolutely deserving of this, particular if this is his last 5 games coming up. We held a ticker tape reception last year for (some) players that did far less for the club.
I think when you also bear in mind the very serious health issues he has overcome then what he has accomplished in his career is certainly worthy of recognition.

Prior to Goldson arriving we got knocked out the EL to Progres Niederkorn, conceded FIFTY league goals, finished 3rd and lost 5 goals to Hibs in the final match of the season.

He arrived and the defence instantly became better. We qualified for the EL against all odds, primarily due to great defensive displays and that laid a great foundation for what Gerrard was to deliver. We conded only 27 league goals that season nearly a 50% reduction.

Has Goldson been perfect? No he hasn't. But he's a far better defender than people give him credit for. You would think after the true shite we watched prior to his arrival people would realise that.

Could we have won more trophies during his time here? Yes we could. Is Goldson the reason for us not? Not really, but people just like to have a fall guy to make themselves feel better about the collective shortcomings of the team.

He's on the decline and probably time to go but he fully deserves this award for his services to the club. 308 games is remarkable in 6 seasons. A ridiculous amount of football to have played in that period.
Great post. We've probably seen his best days, but the vitriol of some of our support is an embarrassment

You obviously don’t watch much football. Defenders often have 2 choices, stretch a leg and risk it going into your own net or trust that your central defensive partner is picking up their man and clears it. So yes, Connor could have stuck his leg out, but equally Bassey could’ve been covering across as well.
There was much more than that one moment that decided the game.
I suggest if you can’t get over it you maybe need to seek a bit of professional help, it was almost 2 years ago. Listen to Elsa. Let it go

So you're saying he wasn't brave enough in the biggest match of his life
He shirked responsibility

Theres a name for that
And that's exactly what Goldson is

So you're saying he wasn't brave enough in the biggest match of his life
He shirked responsibility

Theres a name for that
And that's exactly what Goldson is

He made a mistake ffs, it wasn't deliberate.

He also played a big part in helping us get to Seville, a key player in a squad that was dwarfed financially by the teams we beat; a squad built on a shoestring budget punching several levels above it's weight.

Like a few others have said, it's time to move on, or consider counseling, as you're coming across about as stable as Martha from Baby Reindeer, ya madman :))

For all his struggles this season, Goldson has repeatedly played through injury, rushed back from injury when he shouldn't have & played an insane amount of minutes in the last six years.

If anyone was winning the award, it was him.

The way a seemingly large number of our fans act towards Goldson is pretty poor in my opinion.

Yes, he's had a poor season overall by his standards, but what he's given over his time with us is clearly everything he has, and I'm continually told by many of the same people that's all we ask for.

I've started using this place like I use Twitter, I now just put those moaning bores and what I'd call arseholes on ignore. Makes this place that wee bit more tolerable. Just because some folk say they support Rangers doesn't mean I have to endure there constant shite.
Can't have much left available to read then mate. Just a collection of incredibly short threads. B-)

Back