Julen Lopetegui agrees to join West Ham for next season

6th place finish, 7th place finish and likely top 10 again this season so in 3/4 seasons I’d say West Ham are punching above their weight. They never make any real big signings, think their record fee is still round about £25m or thereabouts.

Moyes has done a tremendous job at West Ham imo.
The only reason they are about to end top 10 is because of a good patch in and around November. Apart from that a lot of their runs this season have been relegation material.

He has done a great job in the past but this season hasn't been great at all.

A West Ham fan on reddit summed it up better than I can:

Moyes did not steer us out of trouble in his first season. He had the worst PPG of all permanent West Ham managers in his first period and was saved by a couple of lucky results against a bunch of teams on the beach, and three teams being worse than us.
He's been coasting on the great form he found during lockdown, but it's clear that every team in the PL has worked out his tactics and knows how to nullify them, and he shows no interest in changing. He continually overrelies on a first 11 and maintains a very thin squad, the players are always knackered by the end of the season.
Yes, we won a European trophy. I'll thank him forever for that and if I ever met him I'd shake his hand and offer him a drink. But you don't keep a manager because of what they've done in the past, you keep them because of what they're going to do in the future, and our future is clear. The football is dire to watch, there's no attacking plan beyond hoping someone can create something out of nothing and we can keep it tight and win a 1-0, something we fail to do almost every week.
In our last 18 games we've won 5. If they were the first 18 games of the season we'd be around 14th. The fact that we're 9th now is down to teams around and below us dropping points combined with a fluky stretch in around November.
Moyes is never going to take us further than he has, so the time is right to change.

I don't remember West Ham ever being 'entertainers' in my lifetime.

They had a few decent players when I was a kid, Brooking and Devonshire were fantastic footballers, but apart from them, I'm struggling to think of anyone that would get you off your seat in anticipation of what they were going to do.

Tony Daly maybe?
I quite liked the Harry Redknapp team, with Joe Cole, Defoe, Lampard, Ferdinand etc.

West Ham are 8th in the wages league table so they are about where you'd expect.
Always think you can get better, I suppose.

Funnily enough, I'm sure during his time at Everton, his average was 9th in both wages and the league table.

I don't remember West Ham ever being 'entertainers' in my lifetime.

They had a few decent players when I was a kid, Brooking and Devonshire were fantastic footballers, but apart from them, I'm struggling to think of anyone that would get you off your seat in anticipation of what they were going to do.

Tony Daly maybe?
Alright old timer :D

Despite almost being relegated when they had Tevez they played some good stuff, often naive but entertaining. There was also a period early under Bilic where they were fun to watch when they beat the likes of Liverpool, City and ManU.

WTF do West Ham fans expect, Moyes has done a fantastic job there, realistically they are a bottom half side.

Only way is down now for West Ham and I hope they plummet

Just like Birmingham and Aberdeen, all 3 clubs getting rid of managers achieving relative success because of delusional boards

For those criticising the football, juggling European and domestic football must have taken a toll on a squad that hasn't changed much in recent years

Certainly affected Villa and Brighton

Moyes has done a great job at Westham, but it is probably the right time for a change.
He has made some good signings, but also some shockers.
Not sure the guy they have lined up will do much better, but it depends on what the Board allow him to spend.

He's been treated appallingly.

The guy won them a European trophy. They could at least treat him with a wee bit of dignity. But then again it's one half of the Dildo brothers we're talking about.
Look at the way we treated Gio, lost on penalties at a higher level European competition .

A much bigger achievement than a team from the EPL winning the 3rd European competition

Moyes to the filth seems quite likely then.

No chance. Moyes is the biggest EPL nut going. His stock is still high enough for another job down there.

The way West Ham have been flirting with other managers isn't a great look but I can see why their fans wanted a change.

I have buddies who are West ham fans and they are realists who think this could be a disaster.
A European trophy, top 10 finishes and no relegation battles since he kept them up, West Ham don’t know how to recognise a successful manager.
I hope that Moyes does not go to the scum as he is a very good boss.

Not a fan of moyes but winning a European trophy and top half of epl seems a brilliant return for a team like West ham,as always be careful what you wish for hammer fans I wouldn't be suprised halfway through next season there'll be grumblings along the line of we should've kept moyes.

Rightfully or wrongly, i imagine there's quite a bit of looking over at Aston Villa and wondering what it might look like for them if they had a similar calibre of manager as Unai Emery. They have a good squad, at least from midfield to attack but they just haven't been good enough this season.

For any number of reasons, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea and Manchester United have fairly decent length spells of poor form this season and West Ham are still 5 points behind the worst of those clubs. Their data is not good either, suggesting they have been incredibly lucky to even be close to where they currently are.

I'm not sure Lopetegui is the manager they should be going after though. Wolves with a tighter budget under Gary O'Neil are better than they were under Lopetegui. Someone like Thiago Motta would have fit the best players in their squad and surely they could blow away Bologna for wages and budget.

a style of play that won them things in the 60s, long before the money days of now

wouldn't be shocked if they finish lower next season
To put it in perspective they won the FA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup in the 60s
That was all
This at a time when they had three mainstays of the England World Cup winning side (the most of any team) and could realistically compete to sign top players
Liverpool started the decade in Div 2 and still managed to win Div 1 twice, an FA Cup and three league cups
Leeds and Man Utd were also far more successful despite Leeds almost being relegated to Div 3 at the start of the decade and Man Utd having almost a whole team wiped out in Munich in 1958
I think it's fair to say they vastly underachieved playing "the West Ham way"

He's been treated appallingly.

The guy won them a European trophy. They could at least treat him with a wee bit of dignity. But then again it's one half of the Dildo brothers we're talking about.

Dignity left the building for the vast majority of English clubs a long time ago.

Replaced by greed and vanity in abundance.

Unfashionable but very good manager. Watch them slide into bottom half next season and start fighting for survival again, rather than European trophies.

As for Moyes to the scum, think his stock is too high, he will get another gig down south or maybe he might fancy abroad again, maybe not Spain though. Very well respected by the other managers due to his work with the union

would he really want to come up here and getting involved in all the bullshit that comes with managing either of us?

Strikes me as the type to the lose the rag quite quick if he thinks questions are a load of bollocks and curt with the responses.

Really not sure what Moyes has done wrong with them. Or, do they just have delusions to where they expect to be? Also, I can't see Lopetegui achieving much for them either.

Moyes served West Ham well but I don't think that he personally could take them much further. They are a club which punched their weight in the EPL under Moyes but their fans are expecting them to punch above it, which imo is unrealistic on their part. A mutual parting of the ways was due.

Moyes to the filth seems quite likely then.
Unlikely, Rodgers will have a bad reputation in England now after getting Leicester relegated when he jumped ship.
He will get a Championship gig at best and can't see him leaving the rebels for that standard

Seems similar to when they bagged Redknapp. Thought they could do better without him and didn't recover until Moyes funnily enough.

I'm not a fan of his style of football, but let's be honest here, its West Ham, what are their fans expecting? He did a brilliant job imo. Iirc they were fighting relegation when he took over were they not?

West ham will regret this. I'm not sure what else Moyes could have really done.
I think he has taken Westham as far as he can.
This season has been so inconsistent. Taken points from Arsenal. Liverpool, Spurs, Man Utd, but have dropped points to Sheff Utd, Notts Forest, Everton, Burnley, Brentford, Palace and Bournemouth as well as losing at least 5 goals on at least 5 occasions. Added to that knocked out the Cup by Bristol City.

I think he has taken Westham as far as he can.
This season has been so inconsistent. Taken points from Arsenal. Liverpool, Spurs, Man Utd, but have dropped points to Sheff Utd, Notts Forest, Everton, Burnley, Brentford, Palace and Bournemouth as well as losing at least 5 goals on at least 5 occasions. Added to that knocked out the Cup by Bristol City.
I think Europe will have played a part of the inconsistency in the league.

Semi-finals of Europa, lost to winners. Won the conference league the next season then put out in quarters of Europa this season by the probable winners.

I can't see Lopetegui beating that or even matching that, and if I was a West Ham fan, knowing they can't win the league I'd be loving the European runs.

To play the "West Ham way" apparently. Whatever the %^*& that is.
If you watch youtube videos of West Ham games from the 1970's they are usually full of good football, good atmosphere and lots of goals...

and The Hammers usually get a draw or a narrow defeat. But they were undeniably good to watch.

If you watch youtube videos of West Ham games from the 1970's they are usually full of good football, good atmosphere and lots of goals...

and The Hammers usually get a draw or a narrow defeat. But they were undeniably good to watch.
50 odd years ago haha I know how they played then but it's not exactly like it was the previous manager and that's how they haven't taken to Moyes.

Think Moyes has done some job at West Ham but in all honesty he’s probably taken them as far as he can.

Don’t think Julen Lopetegui is the answer right enough.

People who only focus on the fact Moyes won them a trophy aren't seeing the whole picture.

The football under him recently was absolutely dire, he was already on the verge of being sacked until he won the Conference League.

It would have probably been better for both parties if he had left them after winning that trophy.

The claim that fans want him out because he's not playing 'the West Ham way' is also nonsense. Fans wanted him out because the team was stagnating under him and he was terrible at managing his squad.

I always think with these things it's better to reserve judgement if you don't watch a side who are changing manager week in week out. Everyone was telling us we were mental to get rid of Gio as he'd got us to a European final just months before, not knowing how awful the football was and the fact we were only going backwards.

I think Europe will have played a part of the inconsistency in the league.

Semi-finals of Europa, lost to winners. Won the conference league the next season then put out in quarters of Europa this season by the probable winners.

I can't see Lopetegui beating that or even matching that, and if I was a West Ham fan, knowing they can't win the league I'd be loving the European runs.
The European runs have been a distraction to league games although i agree the fans have loved it, but as I say mate, the inconsistency this year is his downfall.

Always find it hilarious that Follow Follow of all places have a go at other supports for wanting their team to be better.

You actually couldn't make it up. Not a chance anyone on here would accept, what is basically standing still, for Rangers.

Back