Kemar Roofe - First Choice ?

He offers zero physicality when leading the line which is why Dessers is getting the nod over him. He doesn’t occupy defenders. He is only a viable option when playing next to another striker who offers a presence.

Great finisher when fit though. It’s no coincidence we won the league when he had his most consistent run of games
Dessers is a large human bring, but also offers zero physicality.

Physicality should not be the consideration.

Vickers will get to manhandle, foul and cheat all our players. The attacker won't get the same partial refereeing Vickers does. We need to out smart their defence, not fight it. Officials won't allow an even contest.

Even if he plays and even if he scores colllum will rule it out for some perceived infringement about 5 mins earlier.

I suspect Roofe does not, let's say, give 100% in training, hence the manager's reluctance to play him in games.
He will be well aware his next contract will more than likely be his last, and he knows full well it won't be at Rangers. He'll be making sure he doesn't pick up (yet) another injury, in order to give himself a better chance of earning his last big pay day from some desperate club looking for a forward.

He'll no doubt end up playing 50 games somewhere next season and bag 25 goals, such is our luck.

I suspect Roofe does not, let's say, give 100% in training, hence the manager's reluctance to play him in games.
He will be well aware his next contract will more than likely be his last, and he knows full well it won't be at Rangers. He'll be making sure he doesn't pick up (yet) another injury, in order to give himself a better chance of earning his last big pay day from some desperate club looking for a forward.

He'll no doubt end up playing 50 games somewhere next season and bag 25 goals, such is our luck.
I know what you mean, but he will be at a lower Championship club and struggle to score in a brothel.

I’d actually even forgotten about him this time around.

Mental.

Is he remotely fit? Can’t remember his last injury.

He started the game away to Dundee recently.

I've been a big fan of Roofe over the years, while accepting we'd barely ever see him, but any time he's played this season, even in the games he's scored, he's looked nowhere near the player he used to be.

He started the game away to Dundee recently.

I've been a big fan of Roofe over the years, while accepting we'd barely ever see him, but any time he's played this season, even in the games he's scored, he's looked nowhere near the player he used to be.
Exactly what I was going to say. He’d previously shown us how good he could be. That player hasn’t looked like reappearing this year. Frankly, and it’s a shame for him, he looks absolutely done.

Let's be honest. He has been an absolutely dreadful signing. He contributed in the 55 season, as the majority of the squad did.

But he has played 100 matches in 4 seasons, and of those 100 games the majority have not been for 90 minutes.

Between his fee, wages and contribution he has been a catastrophic waste of money.

I do feel sorry for him as he was a talent and he had some brilliant moments but I cannot wait until we can shake hands and wish him all the best, and he is no longer on the wage bill.

Let's be honest. He has been an absolutely dreadful signing. He contributed in the 55 season, as the majority of the squad did.

But he has played 100 matches in 4 seasons, and of those 100 games the majority have not been for 90 minutes.

Between his fee, wages and contribution he has been a catastrophic waste of money.

I do feel sorry for him as he was a talent and he had some brilliant moments but I cannot wait until we can shake hands and wish him all the best, and he is no longer on the wage bill.
Amazingly he has 22 (twenty two!) appearances this season. Not so impressive when you realise that he has averaged 31 minutes per appearance.

People expect more than he delivers. Is it 4 goals in 2 seasons now? He was good when he played in 20/21 but that's a long time ago now and he's finished.

Wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. He is about to leave us(hopefully) and I doubt he'd want to pick up another injury so I'd worry how committed he'd be.

He looked ok early in the season before getting injured but since he's come back recently, he's looked a shadow of himself and looks done

Was never really a first choice and save for the ‘55 season, has been a colossal waste of money. Paying the guts of £30k pw for Roofe, especially given his injury troubles throughout his career, was always going to be a risk. Sadly that risk hasn’t truly paid off for us.

If this if that… Bottom line is he helped us win 55, he scored some crucial goals in the EL for us, but his body has let him and us down massively.

On the bright side, imagine what Clement will do with the freed up wages.

Absolutely not. Hes only played about an hour more of football than my dad this season, and my dad has been dead 16 years.

We don’t want to be using a sub in the first 10 minutes though, so that’s probably not a great idea. He’s done. Kaput.
Equally though if we bring him on for the last 30 minutes say, he could still only last 10 minutes and we may have subbed Dessers off to put him on and we would be in a bigger mess

Wouldn't play him from the start. Too risky. Timmy will be out to clobber him. On the bench. If after 45 things ain't working then bring him on second half and let him rip. Might only last for 15 or 20 minutes but worth a shot?!

Conversations about plating a semi-able bodied Roofe shows just how well our £12-14million spending on forwards went at the start of the season. What a disaster.

He's was the best striker in the league when fit but he hasn't been fit for 2 season.

He offers zero physicality when leading the line which is why Dessers is getting the nod over him.
That is the weird thing for me about him, he used to be a handful at Leeds, like a battering ram with 2 up front, but that deserted him a few seasons ago.
The only time he was deployed through the middle for a sustained period was when Alfredo got injured, and even then we had to adjust our style to him as he was rotten as a replacement for Alfie, but a good striker in his own way. Sadly injuries have ruined a decent player.

Dessers was really poor at the weekend.

The fact that Clement still never replaced him with Roofe tells it all.

When he started at Dundee he didn't even have a shot on goal, never mind a shot on target.

He still only started 18 league games in the 55 season. His form was great in patches but he went 5 months without a league goal until the 2 in the final OF game.

I think that it is even a question tells you everything about the supports confidence in our centre forward
I hope we are proven wrong on Saturday but I can't see it

I've never bought into the "best striker at the club" nonsense.

He's a good poacher who can play for 25 minutes at a time.

His general mobility is shockingly bad and his hold up play is weak.

If we're chasing a goal, he's a good option to have standing in the box. Other than that forget it.

Less than 2 months more paying his wages.

He's not looked anywhere close to the level a lot of us remember form Roofe when he has taken to the pitch. Definitely not a first choice now.

Not as good as he's made out to be IMO, outwith that goal at Betis he's contributed nothing this season.
Depends how you look at it mate. He's definitely a quality player. Ultimately that doesn't matter when you cant stay fit enough to get a run to show it.

He's the best finisher at the club (possibly in the league) but his body has clearly broken down

His injuries have probably taken a toll and lead to his body being much weaker even when 'injury free'.

But if we need a goal in the last 10 mins on Saturday I'd still fancy him 1 vs 1 with the keeper over the rest of our options. Stranger things have happened

Roofe is done unfortunately, you can see it in the few appearances he has made this season, any pace he had is gone, the movement isn't there and he struggles to hold the ball up.

To answer the OP no he wasn't first choice in the 1 season he was fit the 55 season Alfie was the main man and Roofe played off him, on the odd occasion he was played through the middle on his own he wasn't up to it

The difference with Roofe this season when returning from injury is he looks like he needs a preseason.

Nobody can argue about his injury history but when he came back in the past he at least looked like could make a noticeable contribution-this season he doesn’t.

Even with his history the current situation with him is a massive blow.

He’s done with us.

Be interesting to see where he goes next. You’d think no one would take him considering his injury record even before he came to us.

No doubt he will end up making a miraculous recovery like Helander and play 40 games next season for some club.

Latest posts

Back