Keown on Sunday

All of this talk about VAR and I haven't seen anyone within the game actually mention the obvious (to me) improvements that can be made:
  • Make the referees professional and bombard them with training
  • Make the VAR stuff (conversations, rationale) transparent so that performance is monitored and reasons for mistakes are known and addressed via further education
A cynic would say that there's a deliberate avoidance in talking about these things, certain parties certainly don't really want VAR to be working correctly, as it would result in a level playing field.

All of this talk about VAR and I haven't seen anyone within the game actually mention the obvious (to me) improvements that can be made:
  • Make the VAR stuff (conversations, rationale) transparent so that performance is monitored and reasons for mistakes are known and addressed via further education
A cynic would say that there's a deliberate avoidance in talking about these things, certain parties certainly don't really want VAR to be working correctly, as it would result in a level playing field.
England are professional with a VAR operation that spares no expense, they still have shambolic decisions and controversial incidents every week.

Why would certain parties not want VAR to work correctly?

The filth literally think VAR is part of the big Masonic conspiracy against them.

Making certain referees up here professional won't change their mindset.

VAR in my opinion is a good addition to our game. It makes officials more accountable. If they don`t give a decision without it, they can simply say they didn`t see it, with VAR there's less excuse.

it also makes it measurable how many decisions each team did not get, with VAR involved, or those not referred for a VAR review.

when, IMO, we have been disadvantaged overall by decisions over the last few seasons, that can only help us.

It won`t be perfect though when not used properly, see that of their players punching the ball out of play in their own box without review and the like.

England are professional with a VAR operation that spares no expense, they still have shambolic decisions and controversial incidents every week.

The filth literally think VAR is part of the big Masonic conspiracy against them.
I think they have less outrageous decisions in England than we have to here. Besides, between "good" and "bad", we can look at "better".

Celtic's moon howling fans think there's a conspiracy, but I doubt that their executives or media place-men think that. They're just good at explaining away or completely ignoring the multitude of decisions that inexplicably go for them. The current situation suits them - this season alone we've had strange game-changing decisions go against us in pretty much very old firm game, and no real autopsy thereafter. With greater transparency as I've suggested, there'd be less place to hide.

It'll take away an often used excuse though. And coupled with them having to explain why they interpreted events a certain way, there'll be less leeway for them to deviate from the published laws of the game.

Making them professional won't make a difference.
Your second point, highlighted.... may be a step that should be taken. They should be made more accountable for decisions that appear strange.

Rangers really need to enter the debate. The facts are that three quarters of the penalties awarded to us were ignored by referees and have required the reluctant intervention of video referees. And Rangers have suffered the most with incorrect VAR decisions against us. Not to mention the handball cover up at Parkhead at new year. These illustrate the real problem with officiating in scottish football.
Are the club going to wait until the SPFL suspend the use of VAR at the behest of their favourite club before calling out the issue?

Making them professional won't make a difference.
Your second point, highlighted.... may be a step that should be taken. They should be made more accountable for decisions that appear strange.

There are 2 problems to solve:
  1. Some of the referees show bias against us, whether conscious or subconcious
  2. A lot, if not most of the referees are just shit
Professionalism of the referees in Scotland won't solve 1, but it will help address 2. That's why I think opening up VAR to scrutiny should also be considered, to address 1.

There are 2 problems to solve:
  1. Some of the referees show bias against us, whether conscious or subconcious
  2. A lot, if not most of the referees are just shit
Professionalism of the referees in Scotland won't solve 1, but it will help address 2. That's why I think opening up VAR to scrutiny should also be considered, to address 1.
I'm agreeing with you.

Rangers really need to enter the debate. The facts are that three quarters of the penalties awarded to us were ignored by referees and have required the reluctant intervention of video referees. And Rangers have suffered the most with incorrect VAR decisions against us. Not to mention the handball cover up at Parkhead at new year. These illustrate the real problem with officiating in scottish football.
Are the club going to wait until the SPFL suspend the use of VAR at the behest of their favourite club before calling out the issue?
3 game changing decisions in 3 games against Celtic what a coincidence.

Not so sure. If it's a full time career and their only / main source of income, rather than a glorified hobby, it just might make them think twice about screwing up.
As for VAR, it's here to stay, but it needs to be improved and it might mean tweaking some of the laws of the game (EG what constitutes hand ball and offside) to help reduce the number of grey areas.

Not so sure. If it's a full time career and their only / main source of income, rather than a glorified hobby, it just might make them think twice about screwing up.
As for VAR, it's here to stay, but it needs to be improved and it might mean tweaking some of the laws of the game (EG what constitutes hand ball and offside) to help reduce the number of grey areas.
But the "mistakes" are there.
No refs are being held accountable for horrendous decisions for those.
Their jobs won't be at risk for "mistakes" in the future unless the SFA grow a set and start punishing refs for blatant and obvious "errors".

Do you not concede that the two points made by the OP would make things better?

To suggest otherwise would be ridiculous.

It’ll never be perfect, but VAR is an improvement and we can improve upon the VAR processes themselves.

This is basic development stuff. It’s not rocket science, and yet the narrative around Scottish football seems intent on making it an issue…

Honest Brenda trying to keep the unwashed onside eh, he’s so stupid that he doesn’t know most of the scum at cover up fc don’t want him at the club

Back