Leighton James dead

Remember him from the home internationals.

Was a very good player, not a typical small winger full of tricks more like a tall wide midfielder.

Sad news , Remember him from the Home Internationals like previous poster said , seemed to be left footed ? played with his head down if I remember , sad when players you remember when fitba was proper pass away , he played with and against some players in his day.

Sad news, a lot from the seventies era passing on now. Time passes so quick , one of my childhood heroes was Jimmy Greenhoff who is 78 this year, unbelievable! I still recall his winner for Man U in the 79 cup semi v Liverpool with enough clarity after 45 years!

Sad news , Remember him from the Home Internationals like previous poster said , seemed to be left footed ? played with his head down if I remember , sad when players you remember when fitba was proper pass away , he played with and against some players in his day.
Exactly. When football was football. Very sad news.

Sad to hear, a fine player.

I remember Tommy “Rent A Quip” Docherty interviewed on Football Focus on Saturday “Leighton James, yes a very deceptive player. He’s slower than he looks”.

Sad to hear another great player from the 70"s and 80's has passed away. Leighton James was a good honest player and a gifted winger who always gave 100%. Though never playing for one of 'the big teams', he still carved out a brilliant career with some great English Teams, with Burnley and Derby being two of them. A proud Welshman, he was a big player for Wales in many internationals. 71's no age these days, condolences to all his family and friends.

Very sad news to football fans of my generation. Leighton James was the most prominent Welsh player of the 1970's and he was a fine player.

Sad to hear, a fine player.

I remember Tommy “Rent A Quip” Docherty interviewed on Football Focus on Saturday “Leighton James, yes a very deceptive player. He’s slower than he looks”.
I went to a Liverpool v Burnley game at Anfield in 1975. James was Burnley’s left-winger. Tommy Smith was Liverpool’s right back. Every time James got the ball Smith backtracked and took a 10 yard start but still got skinned. At the start of the second half Smith decided he had had enough and just went for James and took him out before the ball had even reached him. Those were the days when good players referees allowed cloggers to get away with murder.

Remember the old sports question. When Scotland played Wales in a Euro qualifier which 2 players had the same name but back to front? Leighton James and James Leighton. May he rest in peace

Back