Let's get behind Dessers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dessers must know what many Rangers fans think of him, and yet he carries on, puts in a shift, and scores a decent number of goals. Wonder how much better he’d be if he knew he had the backing of all Rangers fans.
Exactly. We have to focus on the six remaining games and do everything we can to win them. That includes supporting the guy who is most likely to score the goals to win those games.

No one is suggesting we forget the negatives, but for now, try focusing on the positives.

There’s some Rangers fans desperate for Dessers to fail for some reason.

He has his moments, but he’s not the answer long term as our starting striker.

There's a horrible trait where people are desperate to say "I told you so".

Also a horrible trait where people won't hold their hands up when their opinion is wrong.

He's not perfect by any means but he always gives 100%, he creates chances for himself and others and he has scored a lot of big goals this season.

His performance today was a million miles better than Roofes during the week. That Dundee game being postponed really could be a season defining moment.

Dessers will always be a lottery no matter how he is backed, I don't think dessers even knows he will score or not.

Will back him for the next 6 games them hopefully he's nowhere near the team next season. The only plus point is I actually think he'll be relatively easy to move on

Seriously no .
But cmon how many easy chances does he miss .
I also seen McCoist miss many chances but Dessers does not fill me with any confidence to score .
Not saying I wouldn't like better, I want better players all over the park, but his return has been good this year.

I think his initial month's here when he actually was hopeless has made people's mind up about him

he is terrble.make no mistake about it..ffs we win a game and forget about the previous games

Terrible is perhaps a bit harsh as he does have some kind of strikers instinct in terms of the positions he takes up however some of his 'finishing' can only be described as terrible and thats the problem as, unfortunately he is closely scrutinised as other players are not stepping up in terms of goal contributions.

I won’t ever boo or jeer him off the pitch(and it did happen) and always will him on to score but he simply isn’t good enough.A lot of crucial scoring chances have been missed putting us in the position we find ourselves in but we have no choice at this time as he is our only no.9. When he speaks at interviews he’s enthusiastic and likeable but if I am honest that is it for me.

The main thing about Dessers for me is he just isn’t a good footballer. I can live with the umpteen missed chances before he scores one but it’s also the poor decision making, the limited ability, getting the ball caught in his feet - it’s just not what you want or expect from a Rangers striker.
Yes he’s “scored more than Kyogo” but so have Theo Bair and Simon Murray and I’ll be fucked if I want them starting up front for Rangers. Figures aren’t always a true indication of the standard of player we’re talking about. We need far, far better going into next season.

Last edited:
Dessers is our best bet up front for the rest of the season, we need to back him. Forget whether he's good enough to be our main striker next season, right now he's our number 9.

He WILL be shite at times, he WILL miss sitters, he WILL have poor games, but he is ALL we've got right now - forget Roofe, he's done. Dessers will score goals in the run-in and if we get behind him maybe he'll score even more.
You have summed him up

I’ll get behind him. On the M8 to Glasgow Airport to make sure he gets on the plane. Utterly woeful excuse for a player.

He’s scored two today because just how bad hearts defending was.

He’s horrific.

I’ve accepted his limitations now. It’s the player he is and he’s not going to change.

To be fair his goal return isn’t bad and he hasn’t been completely hopeless all season, but he’s just not the striker we need and never will be.

It’s such a key position for us now and unless we change our setup and try and spread the load across multiple players (which Beale tried and it failed miserably) we need a CF who can:
  • Hold play up when needed
  • Physically match Scottish centre halves
  • Finish the easy chances
  • Make a goal for themselves on occasion when they need to
Not saying that’s easy to get but it’s been a long time since Rangers tracked down a striker we know would make the difference and stumped up the cash for him.

Prso, Jelavic, Morelos at his peak. That’s the type of player we need.

It’s so weird, with all the football available these days you’d imagine people can turn over to much better teams, with much better players, who make the same mistakes our players do.
How many of them play in a two horse league where they're paid far more than the dross they can't beat on a weekly basis?

He’s a frustrating player but he gives his all every game

Took his goals well today and yes he’s not the complete striker but he is resilient and always gives us commitment

The pressure at Rangers is huge and at times he has struggled but he doesn’t hide and he closes defenders

He needs to be more physical against CB’s as he’s too easily pushed off the ball and his hold up play must improve

19 goals now and hopefully gets well over 20

He’s also a very likeable person too but we need him to be a bit more ruthless and fight more and use his physicality against opponents

I think this is an area he can really improve on and hold the ball up to bring others into the game to help the attacking side of our game

Too right. Didn't see Alfie with this attitude at any point frankly. And whilst you can argue all you like about who would have better and their peak, he is delivering goals.

How many of them play in a two horse league where they're paid far more than the dross they can't beat on a weekly basis?
Not sure what the point here is?

Because our players are paid more than most of their opponents, they should be perfect?

By this logic, Haaland should never miss a chance when playing lower end EPL teams, yet he misses plenty. Misses even more in big games.

I’m going to watch El Classico tonight, where I suspect forwards on each side will miss a couple of chances. Players will give away possession, defenders will make mistakes.

Every player does.

I’d love perfect players too, but they don’t exist.

Last edited:
Good Lord, some of you have to have a word with yourselves, he gives his all but let’s be honest he is absolutely woeful.
A striker that has scored 19 goals this season is woeful? Maybe have a word with yourself. i honestly don't understand why, after Dessers has scored 2 goals to win us a semi-final, that so many people on here are falling over themselves to give him stick.

Little choice but to at this point. Took his goals well today, also missed a good few chances to add to his tally.

I’m pretty sure the guy is going to give me a heart attack at some stage but you can’t say it’s dull when he’s around.

There’s some Rangers fans desperate for Dessers to fail for some reason.

He has his moments, but he’s not the answer long term as our starting striker.
If there are any Rangers fan desperate for him to fail then they can’t be Rangers fans.
But that doesn’t mean we have to stop thinking we can and must have a better forward option than him
Chuffed he got his goals today

Lead the line well, two good finishes (particularly the first) and laid one on a plate for his teammate.

Obviously still looks a bit clumsy at times, but he’s by far our best opposition and has had a pretty good first season all things considered.
Is it ok to pop up on this thread & say that I hope it's his first AND last season with us...?

Feel like this gets trotted out by people purely because other people say it.

He didn’t miss any particularly glaring opportunities today, I’m going to watch football later with better strikers than Dessers who I guarantee you will miss a couple of chances.

What is a decent number Rangers number 9?

Every striker I can recall for Rangers misses more than they scored, except Boyd who was an absolute freak when it came to finishing.
Believe it or not McCoist used to get the same treatment,he scores goals "aye but look how many he misses" its a peculiar Scottish thing to focus on the negatives while ignoring the positives.

I don’t think many are pinning their hopes on Roofe contributing much at this point

I wish people would stop mentioning him. He’s done.

Dessers isn’t an option moving forward but he’s the best we’ve got from now until the end of season so let’s hope he starts hitting the net, like today.

Always have been. He’s a good player and I find it hard to dislike him. It’s taken him time to find his feet but over the course of his first season, he’s done well enough IMO and scored some very important goals.

Doesn’t deserve half the stick he gets and his problem is that we have no patience.

Always have been. He’s a good player and I find it hard to dislike him. It’s taken him time to find his feet but over the course of his first season, he’s done well enough IMO and scored some very important goals.

Doesn’t deserve half the stick he gets and his problem is that we have no patience.

He’s missed some shockers and even last week at Ross County he should have had us 2 up.

Not sure what the point here is?

Because our players are paid more than most of their opponents, they should be perfect?

By this logic, Haaland should never miss a chance when playing lower end EPL teams, yet he misses plenty. Misses even more in big games.

I’m going to watch El Classico tonight, where I suspect forwards on each side will miss a couple of chances. Players will give away possession, defenders will make mistakes.

Every player does.

I’d love perfect players too, but they don’t exist.
Comparatively, Haaland is up against far better defenders week on week. I'm not expecting Dessers to be perfect but I would expect him to take his chances against teams like Ross County, especially when there's nothing between him and the goal.

This forum loves to make the point that Celtic are better because they can outspend us but it never seems to work that way when our players can't beat the dross in our league.

Naw

Hes cost us the league

And there no arguments against that.

40 shots on goal and scored 1 (and it wasnt even him) will live with me forever

He likes to talk and he's been giving it 'we're the best team'...blah blah.
Just do your talking on the park.

I was pleased for Dessers today he is more than likely buzzing tonight.

"If we can find that rhythm back then I think we're the best team in the league and hopefully we can show that"

Let's hope he's right, he knows there's been problems.

I've been ridiculed on here and by some of my mates at the games but I still think there is a player in there with the big guy.
In fact I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that he'll be instrumental in winning us the treble!
All you naysayers are more than welcome to bookmark this comment and pillory me at the end of the season!
;)

Could be one of the poorest 20-goal strikers you'll ever see. So much to like about him then so much to rip your hair out over in the same instant. He's an enigma.

He's done a job for us, scored a lot of goals, and his work ethic is fantastic. He'll miss chances and he'll do our heids in.

He's been truly hopeless at times but there's a real chance he finishes on around 25 goals for the season.

I hope we improve on him come the summer but hopefully he keeps scoring goals until then.

Today doesn’t change anything with
Dessers imo.

Thinking about the matches against the filth, or in Europe, or against a mega low block, where we absolutely need to take our chances. Can we really on him? I don’t think so, and I think today reinforced that.

A decent gers #9 has at least a hat trick today.
I don't think you get the OPs point. He's the best we currently have. Not necessarily Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back