Leverkusen - unbelievable late goals!

KentGer

They’ve scored late again today to preserve their unbeaten record this season, scoring in 90+6 to draw 2-2 with Stuttgart.

That means in the last 12 games:

Todays escape
21 April - 90+7 equaliser vs Dortmund
18 April - 89 min equaliser vs W Ham
30 March - 89 and 90+1. Min goals to come from 1-0 down and win v Hoffenheim
14 March - 90+3 & 90+7 Min goals to come from 2-0 down and win v Qarabag
7 March + 90+2 min equaliser v Qarabag

Also scored 2 other 90 min goals in games they were winning!

Just wow! Never say die attitude in a nutshell.

I can't help but think that Alonso has brought this over to his players from his Real Madrid and Bayern days.

They have also often had teams that just didn't know how to lose.

They’ve scored late again today to preserve their unbeaten record this season, scoring in 90+6 to draw 2-2 with Stuttgart.

That means in the last 12 games:

Todays escape
21 April - 90+7 equaliser vs Dortmund
18 April - 89 min equaliser vs W Ham
30 March - 89 and 90+1. Min goals to come from 1-0 down and win v Hoffenheim
14 March - 90+3 & 90+7 Min goals to come from 2-0 down and win v Qarabag
7 March + 90+2 min equaliser v Qarabag

Also scored 2 other 90 min goals in games they were winning!

Just wow! Never say die attitude in a nutshell.
Not only does that show they have a never say die attitude, it also tells me Alonso has got his players unbelievably fit to score that amount of late goals.

They go down goals they fight like %^*& to get back in it. It's an amazing attitude that Alonso has created with them and the very thing we need our players to be doing. Love to see it.

Big sand dunes in Leverkusen :cool:

Seriously though, an unbeaten run like that, and so many late goals speaks wonders for that team, their preparation, conditioning and attitude.
It’s amazing what happens when you don’t just appoint someone just because of their playing career and also appoint him on the basis he has all of his coaching badges!

That’s why Alonso has succeeded while the likes of Rooney are utter duds

I like to keep an eye on Europe in general to see who we could get next season, honestly delighted for a great player who has become a great manager in Alonso. Good to see that league being shaken up as well. The record they have, folk will be talking about in 2124, incredible and a real never say die attitude that only a few teams have had in a calendar year.

Can't see them keeping that up next season. It will be interesting to see how they go next season whether Xabi can help them grow where they're not relying on last gasp equalisers like that to get a result, or if they drop away a bit.

It's incredible what they have done.

They will come unstuck in one of the games v Roma. It's their first real test in Europe on Thursday in terms of two legs imo. Their Europa run has been maybe the most straightforward and easy that there's ever been as they've only played 4 teams in Europe all season bizarrely.

Yes they had to go to West Ham but was the second leg and they had a strong lead.

Thursday will see them go to Rome and it will be interesting to see how they approach it as thoughts will be on the overall tie and not on the individual game.

It’s amazing what happens when you don’t just appoint someone just because of their playing career and also appoint him on the basis he has all of his coaching badges!

That’s why Alonso has succeeded while the likes of Rooney are utter duds

Just out of interest. Surely Rooney needs to have all his coaching badges too?

For the record, I don't think coaching badges make you a good manager. Instinctive talent and a knowledge of the game does.

Just out of interest. Surely Rooney needs to have all his coaching badges too?

For the record, I don't think coaching badges make you a good manager. Instinctive talent and a knowledge of the game does.

They don't. Some of the guys I've been on the coaching courses with over the years from around the world have strange views on the game.

When I did my C Licence, I think it was, a boy from Japan was determined that his fullbacks were going to stand on the bye line when playing out from the keeper. Wouldn't take any direction on it at all them wondered why his team could never get out.

Another boy from Jamaica stood at the side all week in last night's clothes as he saw it as a holiday paid for by his football team. He passed.

Equally met some guys over the years, particularly from South America, who have very intriguing thoughts about the game. Kept in touch with a couple and actually took one to a Rangers game when he was back over doing his Pro Licence. He was fan of Rangers because Seb Rozenthal played for his club in Chile.

So, a long winded answer to your question, is that anyone can get coaching badges but some people have a more natural understanding that others I agree.

They don't. Some of the guys I've been on the coaching courses with over the years from around the world have strange views on the game.

When I did my C Licence, I think it was, a boy from Japan was determined that his fullbacks were going to stand on the bye line when playing out from the keeper. Wouldn't take any direction on it at all them wondered why his team could never get out.

Another boy from Jamaica stood at the side all week in last night's clothes as he saw it as a holiday paid for by his football team. He passed.

Equally met some guys over the years, particularly from South America, who have very intriguing thoughts about the game. Kept in touch with a couple and actually took one to a Rangers game when he was back over doing his Pro Licence. He was fan of Rangers because Seb Rozenthal played for his club in Chile.

So, a long winded answer to your question, is that anyone can get coaching badges but some people have a more natural understanding that others I agree.

I think you also need an instictive degree in pschology when dealing with players.

Some need an arm around their shoulders and cajoled and mollycoddled. Others just need a boot us the @rse.

I think you also need an instictive degree in pschology when dealing with players.

Some need an arm around their shoulders and cajoled and mollycoddled. Others just need a boot us the @rse.
I think man management is more important than anything.

We’ve seen time and time again at more clubs than you can name you can have great tactics and ideas but if you “lose” the dressing room, which seems to be one of the most common phrases in football, then you’re a dead man walking.

A squad of 25 ish guys are going to have a lot of different personalities and getting to understand how to get the best of them is probably the toughest part.

At the end of the day football is quite a simple game and failing to realise that is also an easy route to failure.

We’ve seen time and time again at more clubs than you can name you can have great tactics and ideas but if you “lose” the dressing room, which seems to be one of the most common phrases in football, then you’re a dead man walking.

A squad of 25 ish guys are going to have a lot of different personalities and getting to understand how to get the best of them is probably the toughest part.

At the end of the day football is quite a simple game and failing to realise that is also an easy route to failure.

Totally agree.

I simply don't get that having a certificate automatically means you will turn out to be good as the manager of a football club?

As you say, it's a helluva lot more complex than that.

Incredible attitude, resilience, and desire.

When the mentally challengeds do it they’ll always just be filthy jammy scummy bastards though.

Can't see them keeping that up next season. It will be interesting to see how they go next season whether Xabi can help them grow where they're not relying on last gasp equalisers like that to get a result, or if they drop away a bit.
Great he’s staying but how many players will be poached by supposed bigger clubs?

I agree. Was the same with Ferguson and most great managers. Man management and keeping the squad happy.

It's incredible what they have done.

They will come unstuck in one of the games v Roma. It's their first real test in Europe on Thursday in terms of two legs imo. Their Europa run has been maybe the most straightforward and easy that there's ever been as they've only played 4 teams in Europe all season bizarrely.

Yes they had to go to West Ham but was the second leg and they had a strong lead.

Thursday will see them go to Rome and it will be interesting to see how they approach it as thoughts will be on the overall tie and not on the individual game.
I hope not. Really hope they do it and remain unbeaten and will the lot. To get this far and not do it would be a real disappointment.

German cup final should be a shoe in.

What price they go unbeaten but lose Europa final on pens?! Does that count?!

They are unbeaten in all competitions they have played in this season.

That is absolutely staggering.

I hope not. Really hope they do it and remain unbeaten and will the lot. To get this far and not do it would be a real disappointment.

German cup final should be a shoe in.

What price they go unbeaten but lose Europa final on pens?! Does that count?!

I’d say yes because they’ve lost the tie.

7 to go if they are to do it.

What a ridiculous team. The the longest unbeaten run in European football history.

Thought that lad would do alright.

Back