Liam Kelly

A player who left to play first team football is now going to come back, as a regular in Scotland squads at age 28, to be a backup? Seems unlikely.

But what does it say about keepers in the academy?

Isn’t that the pathway stunted. Granted if aren’t good enough they aren’t good enough or may go on loan but keeper pathways can be severely blocked given the uniqueness of the position
We have Jay Hogarth and Mason Munn who both look really good but will likely never get a chance if we are bringing in dreadful keepers like Kelly as backup.

I don't know why people have a problem with this. We need 3 goalies. McGlaughlin is likely to go.

There isn't a multitude of options when it comes to back up goalies that qualify as home grown. In Kelly's favour, he is club trained as well.

We could probably get a better back up goalie but it's difficult enough to get a good no1. How good a back up keeper could we really hope for? And if they aren't "home grown" they take up a spot in our European squad, when there's only 17 spaces available. Is it really worth it for probably a marginally better goalie?

No transfer fee, low wages, club trained, nation trained back up goalie? It's a no brainer.

But what does it say about keepers in the academy?

Isn’t that the pathway stunted. Granted if aren’t good enough they aren’t good enough or may go on loan but keeper pathways can be severely blocked given the uniqueness of the position

Most are only kept to help with the homegrown quota tbh. Kieran Wright prime example.

I don't know why people have a problem with this. We need 3 goalies. McGlaughlin is likely to go.

There isn't a multitude of options when it comes to back up goalies that qualify as home grown. In Kelly's favour, he is club trained as well.

We could probably get a better back up goalie but it's difficult enough to get a good no1. How good a back up keeper could we really hope for? And if they aren't "home grown" they take up a spot in our European squad, when there's only 17 spaces available. Is it really worth it for probably a marginally better goalie?

No transfer fee, low wages, club trained, nation trained back up goalie? It's a no brainer.
And what happens if the number 1 keeper gets injured? If he’s going to be third choice then fair enough but we have decent keepers already on the books who could be number 3.

We had to play a number 2 in a European Final. Butland has missed a lot of games in previous years for different injuries. Bayern just went 10 months having to play their backup keeper. Injuries happen and we should always have a competent backup, one that doesn’t make howlers every other week.

A player who left to play first team football is now going to come back, as a regular in Scotland squads at age 28, to be a backup? Seems unlikely.

And then he sits back and watches as his bank balance grows.

That matters more than occasionally being 3rd choice for Scotland and being dragged around the world to sit on a bench when he coukd be off with his family.

And then he sits back and watches as his bank balance grows.

That matters more than occasionally being 3rd choice for Scotland and being dragged around the world to sit on a bench when he coukd be off with his family.

Possibly mate. I get the not wanting to travel if you're not going to play, but if he wanted first team football when he left why wouldn't he still want that now?

Money talks though.

Surely thete's someone we can promote to fill a home grown spot rather than use that as justification for signing Kelly?

I work with a Motherwell fan who can't understand how he gets anywhere near the Scotland squad!

If he wasn’t Scottish we wouldn’t be touching him with a ten foot barge pole. I’d like to think there were better ways of making our quota of that up.

If he is 3rd choice then fine but I don't think I would be very happy if he is our 2nd choice keeper.

And what happens if the number 1 keeper gets injured? If he’s going to be third choice then fair enough but we have decent keepers already on the books who could be number 3.

We had to play a number 2 in a European Final. Butland has missed a lot of games in previous years for different injuries. Bayern just went 10 months having to play their backup keeper. Injuries happen and we should always have a competent backup, one that doesn’t make howlers every other week.
So a better back up than both McCrorie and Kelly, incase Butland gets injured.

So probably a fee, a higher salary and 1 of only 17 spots in the European squad on a player who might not play a game all season? I'd rather our resources went elsewhere to be honest.

Alexander cost a million quid if I remember correctly.

A backup should still be a good keeper. We had to play a European final with our backup keeper in 2008 and luckily he was a very good keeper.

Kelly isn’t good enough as a number 2 and it would mean any injury to the first choice could derail a season.

Possibly mate. I get the not wanting to travel if you're not going to play, but if he wanted first team football when he left why wouldn't he still want that now?

Money talks though.

Understand that mate. For me he's probably went out and realised that it's a far better life getting paid more money to train with Rangers facilities and be around winning most weeks.

A backup should still be a good keeper. We had to play a European final with our backup keeper in 2008 and luckily he was a very good keeper.

Kelly isn’t good enough as a number 2 and it would mean any injury to the first choice could derail a season.
Mate, there is no point. The thread is littered with folk who haven't a clue.
He's pish whether he's 1st choice or a back up.
Unbelievable.

Surely thete's someone we can promote to fill a home grown spot rather than use that as justification for signing Kelly?

I work with a Motherwell fan who can't understand how he gets anywhere near the Scotland squad!
Most Motherwell fans think he is rotten yet we have Rangers fans thinking this is a good move.

‘Just a backup’

Given our luck with injuries there’s a good chance he’d have to play in an important game sometime in the season.

Imagine him at the Tattiedome? FFS!

On a frustrating afternoon for Celtic, during which Luis Palma had a penalty saved by the impressive Liam Kelly

Celtic's spot-kicks made up half of the four shots on target the hosts managed with their 81% possession as Stuart Kettlewell's side, inspired by Kelly, made life difficult for the leaders throughout.

O'Riley had a side-foot finish from inside the box parried away by the Scotland keeper, who made a stunning stop to prevent team-mate Stephen O'Donnell heading into his net.

Player of the Match - Liam Kelly.

Imagine indeed.

Have you actually watched him this season or last? One of the worst keepers in the league both in the eye test and every single stat.
Mate, chill out, relentlessly posting that he’s pish won’t change the fact that he’ll play as many games for us as Carson does at Man City.
He’s going to be third choice in what will be a new look first team goalkeeping 3

A two threads assassination job on the guy :))

Mate, chill out, relentlessly posting that he’s pish won’t change the fact that he’ll play as many games for us as Carson does at Man City.
He’s going to be third choice in what will be a new look first team goalkeeping 3
If he's 3rd choice then fair enough but then it's a waste of a wage when we have keepers who can step up to third choice.

I think he will be number 2 which is a mistake.

If he's 3rd choice then fair enough but then it's a waste of a wage when we have keepers who can step up to third choice.

I think he will be number 2 which is a mistake.
He’ll be 3rd choice, he’ll only be seen in training videos and squad pictures

I really don't think we can afford to be so flippant.

Last season Jack Butland missed 16 games for Palace after breaking one of his fingers. And he was out for more than a year with a dislocated ankle while playing for Stoke.

Whether Butland is here next season or not, our number 1 keeper being out for a sustained period of time is not some implausible scenario. We absolutely do need a quality back-up.
How much do you think we should spend on a number 2 or 3?

Why do people get so annoyed by even saying that if Butland is to be replaced by Kelly etc… of course he’s not a Butland replacement, anybody with half a brain should be able to see that.

Who's second choice then? Butland and McCrorie will likely be away in the summer.
Read my post

3 first team goalkeepers will all be new

Those thinking Kelly is a number 2 replacement are mistaken and a bit deluded. He’s our Carson, a number 3 sat as such for home grown quota

He’s not very good. Suspect at crossed balls, poor distribution, handling is a weakness, prone to lapses of concentration, mistakes, costly errors and howlers.
None of which really matters when you’ll not play being the backup’s backup

Relax guys FFS

Back