Liam Kelly

What about the GK at Hearts, Scottish, and a Rangers fan?
We should worry about getting a complete new back four who are physical and fast
I’d have taken Clark before Liam Kelly if I’m honest. I think he would be a terrific back up and he would probably be happy with that and trying to push for a number 1 place.

It would help that he’s a Rangers fan as well, so that a road I would have been going down as well.

Average suggests he's better than half the keepers in the SPL. He's not. Name me a worse keeper in the SPL.
corrected that for you

I'd rather we kept McCrorie or promoted a youth keeper. Kelly is a bombscare. You must not watch football.
corrected that for you

I'd rather we kept McCrorie or promoted a youth keeper. Kelly is a bombscare. You must not watch football.

McCrorie is off. Might be worth paying attention.

You’d rather try an untested kid of 17/18 ahead of a guy who has been capped for his country and has over 100 appearances in the Scottish top flight. That’s your shout, but thankfully you have no say in our transfer policy.

Replacing one for another. If he's signing to be number one it's a different story.
You realise that makes no sense at all, right? You're happy to be getting a crap player in because you think they're replacing a crap player?

You do understand that the whole point of transfer windows is to try to improve your squad right?

You realise that makes no sense at all, right? You're happy to be getting a crap player in because you think they're replacing a crap player?

You do understand that the whole point of transfer windows is to try to improve your squad right?
Mate why are you making out like we're losing Butland and replacing him with Kelly?

McCrorie is 26 and has played a handful of games. He is a million miles away from being a good keeper.

McLaughlin is 36 and has played what, 20 maybe 30 times for us in all the years he's been here. His real opportunity coming when McGregor was due to take a step back and he was so bad we ended up playing a near 40 year old again.

I don't believe either of them played a single game this season.

We have a requirement to have Scottish players in the squad. Liam Kelly is 28 and has played in excess of 100 games in the league. He will be absolutely fine as a back up option.

If you want to have the two best keepers in the league then fair enough (ideally I do too) but you realise that would likely mean a transfer fee and higher wages for someone to sit on the bench?

It makes much more sense to utilise transfer funds and wages on higher priority targets.

Mate why are you making out like we're losing Butland and replacing him with Kelly?

McCrorie is 26 and has played a handful of games. He is a million miles away from being a good keeper.

McLaughlin is 36 and has played what, 20 maybe 30 times for us in all the years he's been here. His real opportunity coming when McGregor was due to take a step back and he was so bad we ended up playing a near 40 year old again.

We have a requirement to have Scottish players in the squad. Liam Kelly is 28 and has played in excess of 100 games in the league. He will be absolutely fine as a back up option.

If you want to have the two best keepers in the league then fair enough (ideally I do too) but you realise that would likely mean a transfer fee and higher wages for someone to sit on the bench?

It makes much more sense to utilise transfer funds and wages on higher priority targets.
I agree that McCrorie is untried but dearie me Kelly is a poor keeper. Being capped by the Scots as a keeper is not an endorsement their keepers are all pretty ordinary.

I would be absolutely gutted if we signed him, wasted wages on him. Even as a 3rd choice what message does that send to the young players in the academy?

Would be terrible waste of a wage. Just about to get McGlaughlin of the wages and then sign another “jobbing” keeper to “make up numbers”

I've acknowledged multiple times throughout the thread that Kelly is obviously being targeted as our reserve keeper.

Our reserve keeper still needs to be of a certain standard. Kelly is below that standard.

It's pretty simple.

As you've said yourself, reserve keepers might sit out for an entire season or more but you end up relying on them, like we did with McLaughlin. And when that moment comes, their contribution can make or break your season.

Kelly is so bad that Motherwell fans are happy to rid of him. We're signing him. That's absurd and I cannot for the life of me understand you justifying this signing by saying "aye but McLaughlin and McCrorie are shíte too."

I'm not even suggested we spend big money on our reserve keeper. I'm happy targetting a bosman signing. But there will absolutely be a number of better keepers available on a bosman this summer than Liam Kelly.

I agree that McCrorie is untried but dearie me Kelly is a poor keeper. Being capped by the Scots as a keeper is not an endorsement their keepers are all pretty ordinary.
He's gone a lot further in the game than McCrorie anyway and he's only 2 years older. There's no denying that.

I've acknowledged multiple times throughout the thread that Kelly is obviously being targeted as our reserve keeper.

Our reserve keeper still needs to be of a certain standard. Kelly is below that standard.

It's pretty simple.

As you've said yourself, reserve keepers might sit out for an entire season or more but you end up relying on them, like we did with McLaughlin. And when that moment comes, their contribution can make or break your season.

Kelly is so bad that Motherwell fans are happy to rid of him. We're signing him. That's absurd and I cannot for the life of me understand you justifying this signing by saying "aye but McLaughlin and McCrorie are shíte too."

I'm not even suggested we spend big money on our reserve keeper. I'm happy targetting a bosman signing. But there will absolutely be a number of better keepers available on a bosman this summer than Liam Kelly.
Says you.

I say he's absolutely fine for someone who will most likely never play a game as our limited funds need to be redirected elsewhere.

Acknowledging there may be other bosman signings out there, are any of them Scottish? It's an easy position to fill for the homegrown player.

And to be fair to Kelly, he's playing behind a defence that includes Paul McGinn.

Says you.

I say he's absolutely fine for someone who will most likely never play a game as our limited funds need to be redirected elsewhere.
Nope this isn't coming from me. Besides the objective stats which point to how bad Kelly's been this season, Motherwell fans are all saying the same thing. Here's a few comments from them over on reddit today:

Oh nooo please no don't take him noooo Mr Rangers
In all seriousness, despite this season, I'm grateful for what he did provide when he was at his best. In 20/21 and 21/22 he was genuinely world class (by Motherwell standards). But the drop off this season was cataclysmic at times despite some good performances such as Celtic Park and Ibrox.
This is mental. Based on his current form he should be going to a top league 2 team in England.
How the %^*& has he been linked to both Celtic and Rangers after the season he's had? In his loan spell he was amazing and pulling off performances simlair to Randolph, Ruddy, Gillespie but 6 months after we signed him permanently he went to just being alright. Then this season he's been dreadful every corner we had this season basically felt like conceding a pen with him in goals.

Even if he is affordable in price, even if he's a reserve keeper, even if he's homegrown, we should be looking for a keeper better than one who was "cataclysmic" for Motherwell. It feels very strange that this a contentious point in any way and it's probably a dire sign of the times that some on here are arguing in favour of us signing him.

Club trained is one of the quotas isn’t it?

Given 2012 decimated our youth system, having lads available to pad the squad out helps unlock other slots.

He’s pish, but ticks a box and helps us wider a field. Guessing we could triple his wages and still pay him only £3k a week.

Nope this isn't coming from me. Besides the objective stats which point to how bad Kelly's been this season, Motherwell fans are all saying the same thing. Here's a few comments from them over on reddit today.
I take the point about his stats, but I wouldn't trust a Scottish football fan on Reddit if they told me the sky was blue.

As far as I'm concerned he's a low risk, back up keeper who helps with the club trained quota. Better invest our cash elsewhere for real quality.

I take the point about his stats, but I wouldn't trust a Scottish football fan on Reddit if they told me the sky was blue.

As far as I'm concerned he's a low risk, back up keeper who helps with the club trained quota. Better invest our cash elsewhere for real quality.
That was just an example but honestly just speak to any Motherwell fan if you know any. They're unanimous on his performances this season.

Like it or not, we need to be frugal. We need squad players and need starters. Kelly ticks certain boxes and will be paid peanuts, this allows more money to be spent on starters.
Long gone are the days or Goram and Woods, Klos and Charbonnier.
I think we should prepare ourselves for more of the same over this summer, where we plug some gaps with cheap freebies and spend wisely on a spine.

Mccrorie looks to be off. McLaughlin contract done.

For everyone slating this signing please tell me who we sign for backup keeper who keeps up for Euro quota when it comes to club trained and nation trained players? Really keen to find out.

It’s a shrewd signing that helps meet the quote and he will be a decent backup. No transfer outlay too.

unless the Scottish players we sign are starters i dont get the fuss with this 4 home grown 4 club trained players , it just means our squad is basically 17 players plus any that may be good enough to play because we certainly dont have 8 Scottish players that are considered to be starters

unless the Scottish players we sign are starters i dont get the fuss with this 4 home grown 4 club trained players , it just means our squad is basically 17 players plus any that may be good enough to play because we certainly dont have 8 Scottish players that are considered to be starters
Would you rather one of those 17 places issued on a 2nd choice GK who probably won’t feature? Or an attacking player who can come off the bench and influence a game?

I would be absolutely gutted if we signed him, wasted wages on him. Even as a 3rd choice what message does that send to the young players in the academy?

Would be terrible waste of a wage. Just about to get McGlaughlin of the wages and then sign another “jobbing” keeper to “make up numbers”
We need back up keepers and there aren't going to be many incredible ones accepting barely ever getting a game.

"Absolutely gutted", dramatic hyperbole nonsense, settle down mate:D

Mccrorie looks to be off. McLaughlin contract done.

For everyone slating this signing please tell me who we sign for backup keeper who keeps up for Euro quota when it comes to club trained and nation trained players? Really keen to find out.

It’s a shrewd signing that helps meet the quote and he will be a decent backup. No transfer outlay too.
The reaction to it is embarrassing. He's absolutely fine for a keeper who's only going to play in a complete emergency situation at most.

We need back up keepers and there aren't going to be many incredible ones accepting barely ever getting a game.

"Absolutely gutted", dramatic hyperbole nonsense, settle down mate:D
I would be “absolutely gutted” if we signed him.
It will just feel like another lazy, unambitious signing.
I don’t think he is good enough simple as that.

I would be “absolutely gutted” if we signed him.
It will just feel like another lazy, unambitious signing.
I don’t think he is good enough simple as that.
Mate it's a back up goal keeper and like I said there will be limited options willing to take up that role.

If that's the type of thing that would make you "absolutely gutted" it must be torchure being a football fan.

A bit OTT.

You're saying he's not good enough to be second or third choice when he's got experience in the league and you're talking about what message does it send to the academy, is there a current academy keeper that would make you feel safer than Kelly would if he ended up needing to play an important run of games ? And what keepers would you prefer we sign who'd realistically accept barely playing a game for us?

Signing him is absolutely fine in the circumstances we'd be signing him.

You're calling it lazy, I'd call it fairly sensible to sign someone who's got his experience in case of an emergency. There won't be anyone else any better willing to play that role who's got such experience up here.

Would you rather one of those 17 places issued on a 2nd choice GK who probably won’t feature? Or an attacking player who can come off the bench and influence a game?
i would rather someone already at the club got exposure and actually used our youth set up , sadly i long for the days when your left back gets injured/suspended your next best left back would play , nowadays its more about " shoe-horning " the next best player in

i would rather someone already at the club got exposure and actually used our youth set up , sadly i long for the days when your left back gets injured/suspended your next best left back would play , nowadays its more about " shoe-horning " the next best player in

You’ve completely lost me. Our 3rd choice keeper will be from the youth setup.

If your meaning outfield players then players from our youth setup don’t need registered as they compile another list.

With the amount of games now you can’t run a squad of 17 players.

I don’t know about you but I want to see the most competitive, best rangers team possible.

Strange move for him as much as us. He’s current he Motherwell captain and probably the first name on their team sheet. Can only think it’s money that will ease the pain of sitting on the bench. If hes considered as a replacement for a departing Butland, major red flag.

I see people saying he’s a bear?? Not so sure. Although he was with us as a youth, he was with them as well. Born and bred in Coatbridge, I’d suggest he leans the other way.

I actually think he is a decent keeper. But that is it, Decent. Motherwell is his level. If serious about a title challenge, we need better than Liam Kelly - even as 2nd or 3rd choice.

So we settle for average now?
Wtf has happened to the Rangers support since 2012?

Won't be saying that when we have to play him away in Europe.
I'm no saying he's great mate. Any team in the world who is reverted to playing their second or third choice keeper is going to need to settle for a big fall in quality in comparison to their first choice keeper, that's normal and it's always unfortunate if it comes to it. The point is where are we going to find someone much better than Kelly who's willing to sit about barely ever playing? Also fits the home grown quota, makes sense to fill one of those spaces with a keeper who'll barely ever play allowing us a foreign option in a more important role. People have said it's lazy but we need absolutely loads of players in this window and I'd much rather our scouts were spending their time "thinking outside the box" on much more important roles we need this summer than a back up keeper, for me Kelly seems a quick, sensible solution to a very small problem.

So we settle for average now?
Wtf has happened to the Rangers support since 2012?

He won’t be first choice. Tell me how we keep a 2nd choice keeper happy, on low wages too?

Suggest an alternative too.

Let’s just settle down and look at it objectively. Mccrorie played once all last season. And 4 times the season before. 5 games in 2 year.

Fine as a number 2 or number 3. Logical replacement for Jon McL and good for homegrown quota. Dont understand folk having mini meltdowns over this.

He won’t be first choice. Tell me how we keep a 2nd choice keeper happy, on low wages too?

Suggest an alternative too.

Let’s just settle down and look at it objectively. Mccrorie played once all last season. And 4 times the season before. 5 games in 2 year.
It's not my job to suggest an alternative.
Obviously number 1 choice will be better but ordinary has never been good enough for Rangers, even for a number 2 number 1.

Back