Lost Football Grounds That Were Better Than Their New Replacement Stadiums

One thing about our wonderful stadium is that we'll never move from there,certainly not in my lifetime and with the main stand being a listed building it's unlikely anyway.
We might increase the capacity to an extent (apart from the cantilever in the Copland Road),but can't see drastic changes.

Roker Park one is pish. The stadium of light is a very excellent stadium and perfectly merges modern amenities and standards while maintaining the history and traditional feel.

It was in part consequence of my age I suppose but I always thought Highbury was fantastic and games there always seemed to have a lot of drama around them

Super Sunday games there, they are core football memories to me sitting in the house in the back end of winter watching brilliant games of football take place at that stadium

It was in part consequence of my age I suppose but I always thought Highbury was fantastic and games there always seemed to have a lot of drama around them

Super Sunday games there, they are core football memories to me sitting in the house in the back end of winter watching brilliant games of football take place at that stadium

Highbury was second only to Ibrox in the UK for me.

Tired topic now really, plenty of new builds around Europe have a great atmosphere - should be looking at how to create that rather than going on about the past.

pre-renovation Bernabeu when the bottom half was terraced and the ultras used to be behind the goals. 90k capacity. Tremendous. Lost in the sense that a stadium of that nature will never be seen again, mores the pity.

bernabeupast4.jpg

pre-renovation Bernabeu when the bottom half was terraced and the ultras used to be behind the goals. 90k capacity. Tremendous. Lost in the sense that a stadium of that nature will never be seen again, mores the pity.

bernabeupast4.jpg
Glad I was there in 2017 before they turned it into a giant sardine tin.

One thing about our wonderful stadium is that we'll never move from there,certainly not in my lifetime and with the main stand being a listed building it's unlikely anyway.
We might increase the capacity to an extent (apart from the cantilever in the Copland Road),but can't see drastic changes.
Thing is that yes we will increase a little

But stupid decisions lby the board to try sell pays off the car park and not trying to purchase the land they can when it's available will limit us longer term.

Stadiums have a life span or the work to maintain them becomes more expensive.

At some point we will need to increase stadium size as we would fill it but when we do the scum will look to increase there's by changing their main stand to increase in side again they like the advantage they get starting with more season ticket money

Highbury was second only to Ibrox in the UK for me.
Only problem was I went to see Wimbledon play at Highbury once and the away fans were given a wee corner under one of the ends and I had a dirty big pillar in my way.
Mind you it ended 4-0 for Arsenal so in retrospect maybe not a bad thing.

Brockville for me
Loved that place.

(Not a new user, signing in problems hopefully admin can fix)
Fond memories of Brockville. On one occasion there when Rangers scored my Dad shouted and his false teeth flew out - I can’t remember if he ever found them, but I’ve a feeling he didn’t. On another occasion at Brockville he threw his bunnet in the air, probably with such force that it went into orbit. He definitely did not get that back. I found both episodes most amusing, although he certainly didn’t.

Firhill with the three terracings. Easter Road when it was like a mini Hampden. Pittodrie with the Beach End terracing. Broomfield with the old pavilion in the corner.
Villa Park. Elland Road. Basically most of the old stadiums. Only modern improvements I can think of are Bramhall Lane and St.James Park.

Went to a few English grounds back in the seventies, Spurs, Arsenal Charlton, Bradford City. All iconic grounds. Great to see Cappielow is still the same. Between soulless grounds and artificial pitches the game has turned on it's head.

Some old stadiums might not have had better facilities but they were better situated and a better day out overall.
Even if on the edge of town they don't seem to be any easier for access and egress by car.

Some old stadiums might not have had better facilities but they were better situated and a better day out overall.
Even if on the edge of town they don't seem to be any easier for access and egress by car.
You should go to some of the Junior grounds if you're feeling nostalgic about the old grounds.

The toilets at Vale of Leven are a real throw back.

A wall.

You should go to some of the Junior grounds if you're feeling nostalgic about the old grounds.

The toilets at Vale of Leven are a real through back.

A wall.

Toilet near the foot of the old stairway 13 at Ibrox was like that, just a wall with a concrete gutter at the bottom, shoes covered in pish from the splash back. Happy days.

I was in the old Chelsea terracing in 1993 when Chelsea beat Man Utd and Cantona famously lobbed the keeper from 40 yards out and the ball bounced and hit the bar only for the keeper to catch it. It was my only experience of the old Chelsea ground and it was fantastic.

Latest posts

Back