Lundstram

I'd sell majority of squad including Butland who's fee could finance part of the rebuild.
I'd keep Sterling, Yilmaz, Diomande, Raskin, McCausland, Cortes and if we can get him Sima.
The rest can be sent on their way
I would get rid of Yilmaz if we are offered close to our money back. Decent player but his availability is awful. We can’t keep paying for guys to sit in the treatment room.

TBH I’d be asking serious questions of Raskin? Is he going to kick on? Is he good enough? Been disappointed by him since his first few months which had so much promise.

Ryan Jack, fantastic midfielder when fit (and btw makes JL look better) but sadly time for him to move on due to injury.

Lawrence - jury out

Dowell - not seen enough, but what I have seen I am not convinced.

Cantwell - inconsistent but best in the more advanced position.

Diomande - decent start to his Rangers career. He must kick in.

Sterling - should play in midfield imo.

So when it comes to JL I think we need to look at the bigger picture… our midfield is a mess imo, and if we are saying Raskin is not good enough, Jack is away and with question marks over Lawrence and Dowells ability and fitness, then that only leaves Diomande and Sterling for the central midfield… we have a major rebuild coming this summer, we need a striker or 2 , a wide player or 2, central midfielder or 2, central defender, cover at LB… whilst I believe JL isn’t quite good enough for Rangers, right now considering the lack of midfield options we have and the significant attention attack, midfield and defence all require this summer… can we afford not to renew JL?

Reports are offers from Turkey and Ipswich look favourite to sign him , good luck to him and them but this brings the issue of players running down their contracts, he has downed tools. Should have been punted last season
No more running down contracts

I’m glad he doesn’t seem to be staying on tbh, especially for the wages he’s apparently on. Whether he’s just knackered or his heads not in it anymore if he’s leaving, his attempts against Ross County were a disgrace. He could’ve prevented two goals with a bit of effort.

I probably wouldn’t play him for the rest of the season in all honestly, Dio and Sterling in the midfield for me. Either his head, heart or legs don’t seem to be in it anymore and we can’t carry a passenger in such in important position of the pitch.

Infuriating if he has downed tools due to Ipswich interest
Difficult to tell though as he’s just as pedestrian as ever.

Find a Rangers player with 95% of them.

The problem is not Lundstram ffs. The problem lies in creating chances. The problem is our dreadful set pieces. The problem is , unlike Lundstram, we have too many players incapable of passing the ball to a Rangers player. The problem is we don’t have a player capable of putting the ball in the net. The problem is we have no left back….. and so on and so on.
He’s not solely the problem, of course he isn’t, but he’s definitely part of it. Anybody can see that. What he most certainly isn’t is part of the solution!

Not much support for him in this thread.
Memory may be playing tricks but am sure when he signed for us, fans from his previous clubs mentioned how they eventually lost patience with him... A few decent matches and then spells of disappearing during games.

Appears I am in the minority, but I would give Lundstram another contract, like 2 years. When he’s on it, he offers so much energy and drive. Has showed them utter contempt in old firms and clearly gets it. I think although he is aggressive, his head goes down easily, and on current form he is whimpering through games. I blame Tav and Goldson for this though, not Lunny.

Appears I am in the minority, but I would give Lundstram another contract, like 2 years. When he’s on it, he offers so much energy and drive. Has showed them utter contempt in old firms and clearly gets it. I think although he is aggressive, his head goes down easily, and on current form he is whimpering through games. I blame Tav and Goldson for this though, not Lunny.
Tav and Goldson are responsible for Lundstram whimpering through games?

His current form is the form we have seen for most of his time at Rangers, with less spells of him being much better. Nowhere near enough for him to be given a new contract and certainly not on the same or more money.

Pretty much his attitude toward the end at Sheffield Utd when he was leaving on a Bosman then also.

He’s had two purple patches in three seasons at Rangers, the rest of the time he’s been a really poor player for us.
Spot on mate the issue is now does Clement drop him knowing he’s not getting 100% or keep playing him as we’re in business end of season.

The worry for me is we only don't renew someone if they're really poor and everyone can see it, any old mediocrity is enough to get another contract.

Nobody driving the club on with a more cut throat approach, a player leaving should always be seen as a chance to improve the team.

Tavernier has given Rangers 1000 times more than Lundstram ever will. This is quite the take on things

Showed them utter contempt?
They regularly hand him his arse on a plate.
His record along with the other usual suspects against them is abysmal.

He’s had 3-4 purple patches that last a couple of months in his time here. We’re mad if we offer Lundstram a bumper new deal at 30 years old.

Need a young Steve Davis replacement not a blowing out his arse JL.

One of the mistakes of Gerrard’s time here was thinking that JL could lace Davis’ boots and to think part of his fit over not being back financially was we weren’t prepared to pay £4m for him in the January before his free transfer here.

Shoehorned into system after system and failed in them, PC was brutally honest and said the long ball play is because JL and others can’t play press resistant football.

I'd rather we didn't keep Lundstram. He can be very influential at times and can be the key to our midfield when he's on it.

However, I feel now with his contract expiring we should move on rather than extend.

If we are obliged to purchase Diomande come the summer then I'd rather see someone younger than Lundstram alongside him.

Can Raskin get back to the form we seen when he first arrived?

I'd like to see a midfield of Raskin, Diomande and Cantwell before the season is out and in all honesty I'd rather see Cole McKinnon get more game time than players who see their future elsewhere.

One of the mistakes of Gerrard’s time here was thinking that JL could lace Davis’ boots and to think part of his fit over not being back financially was we weren’t prepared to pay £4m for him in the January before his free transfer here.

Shoehorned into system after system and failed in them, PC was brutally honest and said the long ball play is because JL and others can’t play press resistant football.
I was told that one of Wilson and Gerrard’s biggest transfer disagreements, was about Lundstram. The former not being keen, the latter wanting him as a priority.

Obviously not sure how true, or that it matters much.

I was told that one of Wilson and Gerrard’s biggest transfer disagreements, was about Lundstram. The former not being keen, the latter wanting him as a priority.

Obviously not sure how true, or that it matters much.

I’ve heard that too and it’s not the only player they clashed over and Gerrard would run to King to complain while he was there.

Even after King’s departure, there was an argeement that Morelos was being sold and he would get Itten and Roofe, although Wilson didn’t want Roofe, he relented as it meant Alfie was being sold for Gerrard to refuse and the board backed him again.

Should see his first team action very limited for the remainder of the season if reports are he's leaving are correct.

Hopefully Diomande will be back soon. Sterling into his strongest position, Raskin getting some game time along with Bailey Rice.

Did Gerrard see him as a 6? I thought he was signed to be the athletic box to box player we were missing at the time.

He’s never a 6 and think he only ended up there due to Davis and Jack injuries

Should see his first team action very limited for the remainder of the season if reports are he's leaving are correct.

Hopefully Diomande will be back soon. Sterling into his strongest position, Raskin getting some game time along with Bailey Rice.
This 100%. Only players who have a future at the club should be getting a jersey. And if Lundstrum’s drop in form is down to this Ipswich rumour he’s a sub going forward.

I’d add Leon king to this to play in midfield where he plays for Scotland 21s

Did Gerrard see him as a 6? I thought he was signed to be the athletic box to box player we were missing at the time.

He’s never a 6 and think he only ended up there due to Davis and Jack injuries

He was brought in to replace Davis and whether that’s as a 6 or b2b he’s an absolute failure of a signing.

We need to learn a lesson from what happened with Goldson. Huge 4 year contract and he has been in decline ever since.

Lundstram has played well at times, usually when the team in general is playing well. When things are not going well his head drops and he reverts back to dropping deep and playing safe passes.

Move him on

Back