Malik Tillman

3 assists in 8 games in the CL proper. He never started all of them either as he wasnt fully fit until a couple of months into the season. He was also the best player against Arsenal. Outstanding in their home game. Manager picked him out for praise afterwards.

That's now 9 goals and 15 assists in all competitions this season. Excellent numbers.

Sounds brilliant if you look up stats on transfrmarket, the reality is he had 1 assist and it was a simple 5 yard pass.

He won 2 penalties, 1 against Sevilla and 1 against Dortmund which transfrmarket counts as an assist. (but no other reputable stat counting site does)

Instead of looking up stats on wikipedia or transfrmarket I prefer to judge players with the eye test and almost every time I've watched Tilman in a big game it's totally passed him by. I give you 5-6 OF games, I watched him away to Dortmund as well for PSV, same thing.

Look, he's a good player, no getting away from it. He's just not the next coming that some would have you believe on here. :D

He was a very good player but wasn’t suited to our league.

Not sure if that says more about Scottish football or him as a player!

Oh and he didn’t want to stay here either, that much was clear

Shone in some games, anonymous in our big domestic OF games.

Hold no grudge against him but in all honesty I couldn’t give a monkeys what happens with his career.

Some wild revisionism on here.

He was utterly hopeless against Celtic. Worse than shite. He was also part of a team that, yet again, flopped big time.

Sometimes players leave and get better. It happens.
Ironically some posters slating Tav for OF games in the past 2 years, games he actually scored 4 goals in, are singing Tillmans praises despite going hiding in every game against them.

You couldn’t make it up

There's a difference between hiding in Old Firm games and just being bullied out of them tbh. Beale had no clue how he was supposed to play against them in these games and clearly it rubbed off on the player. He's a great talent but was never going to pick a game of that magnitude up by the scruff of the neck. He actually done alright in one of the early ones before being crocked.

For as much as we like to call them shite etc, they have effective midfielders that know how to run these games. I mean, McGregor, Hatate, O'Reilly vs Cantwell, Raskin, Tillman and Lundstram in his final game. The balance is completely one sided.

Last edited:
Some wild revisionism on here.

He was utterly hopeless against Celtic. Worse than shite. He was also part of a team that, yet again, flopped big time.

Sometimes players leave and get better. It happens.

We have a quite astonishing habit of playing players out of position against Celtic. Tillman suffered from that massively.

I've seen he's a talented lad, I'm not denying it.

I said he's vastly overrated because people were going on as if he's going to be one of the best players on Europe on here, even people in this thread touting him to replace Musiala at Bayern. He's nowhere near that.

He's a good player with a lot of talent but his mentality and drive to maximize that talent is more than questionable to me. In 5 years he'll probably be at mid level Bundesliga that's just my opinion. Time will tell.
What he said. He's not in the same galaxy as the likes of Musiala. A good player, but some of the takes on here are wild.

Sounds brilliant if you look up stats on transfrmarket, the reality is he had 1 assist and it was a simple 5 yard pass.

He won 2 penalties, 1 against Sevilla and 1 against Dortmund which transfrmarket counts as an assist. (but no other reputable stat counting site does)

Instead of looking up stats on wikipedia or transfrmarket I prefer to judge players with the eye test and almost every time I've watched Tilman in a big game it's totally passed him by. I give you 5-6 OF games, I watched him away to Dortmund as well for PSV, same thing.

Look, he's a good player, no getting away from it. He's just not the next coming that some would have you believe on here. :D
Fair enough mate. Two unofficial assists.

I agree though, more important than the stats (which are very impressive), he is getting the plaudits from his manager and their fans, who clearly watch more games than the odd one we might watch between us. He is now getting selected for a very good USA team and his value has almost trebled since being with us. He definitely passed the eye test against one of the best teams in Europe this season.

No one thinks he is Bellingham but the argument on this forum not long ago had a few folk questioning if he was good enough to play the likes of Dundee.

That argument has officially been put to bed this season.

The concerns some of us had was about him reaching his potential from his application rate, ironically that same concern regarding his application matching his talent has also been shared by his youth coaches at Bayern

He’s excelled in a far more technical league and improved on his numbers.

Don’t think it looked like he enjoyed the physical aspect of our game.

Don’t think he enjoyed that park of the game as most technical players don’t but he still excelled at it.

He was excellent at winning the ball higher up the pitch.

Are those the same people who think that obvious talents like Lewis Ferguson, Aaron Hickey and others wouldn't be good enough before they move on out of our reach?
Aye, a 26 year old journeyman like Armstrong at Killie and a Connor Barron who can't get a game for Aberdeen are comparable to Aaron Hickey who was a regular for Hearts at 18 and Lewis Ferguson who Captained the Sheep on occasion and regularly starred and scored for them.

Just because two players with infinitely more potential and talent made it big, doesn't mean vastly inferior players will just because they play in the same league.

Yet some on here didn't think he was good enough , says it all really

Really, what says it all?

Has the boy got talent? Yes, absolutely.

He's obviously thriving in a league were footballers are allowed to shine.

He did the square root of hee-haw against the filth, and for all his skill didn't take too many games by the scruff of the neck.

The support are not to blame for his time at Ibrox, which was indifferent, to say the least.

Also, you'll be lucky to find any posts from me slagging the lad, last season.

It was clear to anyone who knows anything about football that he was a very talented player and he was only going to get better. Because he never ran around like a headless chicken he was apparently 'lazy' and not good enough according to some. I genuinely think there are folk on here who would have a fit if peak Ronald De Boer was playing for us now because they don't believe he's getting stuck in enough.

The echo chamber effect on here was in evidence again with Tillman. It actually seemed pretty close to a majority who wanted him gone. A large majority when people were having their tantrums after a loss. Followed by the crazy, baseless optimism that we would get a better player in the transfer window anyway. This place will never change though.

Last edited:
We'll always have that goal v Motherwell. What a run that was! Tillman is one of those players who on the eye looks too laid back but the stats show he puts in a shift.

I'd have taken him on a permanent transfer in a heartbeat.

Winning a penalty should be an assist. Its sure as heck a good thing.

Good player,but his heart was never in it with Rangers . We also were never in with any chance of buying him and he never wanted to stay with us. Good luck to him with psv but he won't be at a bigger club......

So as many as Sam Lammers then?

Tillman was vastly overrated on here.

PSV are that good of a team (compared to the rest of their league) it's hard not to stand out. They are winning by 3's, 4 and 5's almost week in week out. You'd need to be doing something wrong to not post decent numbers in a team like that.

The ones that will move on for big money in that team are Bakayoko and Lang.
Come on. In his first season playing regular professional football he scored 10 goals from a wide area, a mazy from the halfway line, won young player of the year and got into the team of the season. A crazy take.

Good example of someone who could never have won over a small percentage of fans with us...if I'm a new rangers player I'm smashing into my first tackle and forcing a few snarls at the camera to buy some goodwill with that section of the fan base.

So as many as Sam Lammers then?

Tillman was vastly overrated on here.

PSV are that good of a team (compared to the rest of their league) it's hard not to stand out. They are winning by 3's, 4 and 5's almost week in week out. You'd need to be doing something wrong to not post decent numbers in a team like that.

The ones that will move on for big money in that team are Bakayoko and Lang.
Absolute tripe.

L
Psv 3-0 up after 11 minutes in the league just now.

Tillman scored two and assisted the other.

7 goals and 10 assists in 24 league games for Psv so far.

What a player!

Wonder what Bayern will do in the summer, wonder if they will do the same thing to Psv as they did to us.
Lammers is doing well in the Netherlands too. Begs, more questions than answers here?

L
Lammers is doing well in the Netherlands too. Begs, more questions than answers here?
There was questions deservedly about Tillman, half hearted jogging or walking about
He will have a gd career no doubt about it, signing for man City arsenal or even man utd is fanciful

Back