Man United’s manager options

LoyalRanger_72

I’ve been looking at the bookies odds this morning on Sky Bet and the names linked with the job are underwhelming with only about 1 or 2 of them that would excite me if I was a Man United fan.

Thomas Tuchel 2/1
Gareth Southgate 3/1
Graham Potter 5/1
Robert De Zerbi 11/1
Zinedine Zidane 11/1
Julian Nagelsmann 12/1
Unai Emery 16/1
Kieran McKenna 20/1
Ruben Amorim 20/1
Thomas Frank 20/1

Real lack of good managerial options in the world atm. Think I’d give McKenna a shot. Remarkable job done at Ipswich, plays exciting football, and knows the club. Big potential and if it doesn’t work then just get rid of him in a couple of years. Nothing really lost.

I'd be looking for Tuchel, Zidane or Emery from that list if I were a Man U fan.
If you want short term success and quick impact, you hire Tuchel.

But Man United want long term success and need a full blown rebuild. Something which should rule Tuchel out completely in my opinion.

Southgate for 2/3 years. Then a really big name might fancy it once the Club is settled. Couldn’t see Simone working with Ashworth.

The problems run far deeper than the manager

Who I don’t think should be there either.
Nail on the head mate.

The problems IMHO go back as far as when the Glazers took over.
Fergie managed to keep things going until he retired in 2013. Mourinho won 3 trophies, but it has just been one shitshow after another since Fergie departed.
But, it’s been very pleasing watching the whole club unravel. Long may it continue

Real lack of good managerial options in the world atm. Think I’d give McKenna a shot. Remarkable job done at Ipswich, plays exciting football, and knows the club. Big potential and if it doesn’t work then just get rid of him in a couple of years. Nothing really lost.
Taking a big job and failing can have a serious knock on affect for a career. 3 years ago Graham Potter was seen as one of the highest rated managers in Europe and now he's being linked with mid table French teams because of 9 bad months at Chelsea.

I think they will try and get Emery or De Zerbi. De Zerbi, I think has taken Brighton as far as they can go. I think Man U fans would love to see De Zerbi's style of play at Old Trafford.

However, at the end of the day if they do not sort out what is behind the scenes, scouting, director of football, negotiations then De Zerbi will only be able to take Man U as far as Ten Haag has because he will still have the same old shite to choose from and some new shite that he never picked.

The signing policy of Man U has been so ill-judged and hap-hazard its comical. Antony, I mean seriously who authorised 70m plus being spent on this guy and he will be on 150k plus a week. The Sancho debacle, again 70m plus, then add massive wages. Casemiro, Varane....

Think about that, we have spent £12m on strikers, 1 got loaned out, the other has scored 20 goals but it is still a flop and the other is injured. That is 12m and its been a huge disaster for us and impacted us in January to what we could do. They have spent 150m on two players, one who they have loaned out and the other they would be as well loaning out because no one would notice if he wasn't there.

Maguire still there despite being shite.

Onana is just an awful keeper. Letting De Gea go to sign that is a sackable offence in its own.

They need some proper structure in place in the back and then get a manager who will fit and work with that structure. Then just maybe they will start to go forward but all honesty I hope they don't. I hope they cannot to plummet.

You could put prime Alex Ferguson in charge of that squad and he'd barely make a dent in it. Absolute dross like Dalot and Wan Bissaka earning over 100 grand a week ffs.
Ferguson wouldn’t put up with the shit from that squad though. Look at how he dealt with Jaap Stam for example, one of the best defenders in the world shown the door.

That Southgate and Potter are 2nd and 3rd favs would absolutely terrify me if I were a Utd fan.

Taking a big job and failing can have a serious knock on affect for a career. 3 years ago Graham Potter was seen as one of the highest rated managers in Europe and now he's being linked with mid table French teams because of 9 bad months at Chelsea.
I’d love to know what actually got Potter elevated to that status. Go and actually have a read at his time at Brighton. Poorest home record of any manager in the EPL for his time in charge. Went a full calendar year without a home win. I think when the media have favourites it certainly helps with their reputation when you compare that to Moyes at West Ham for example.

The most encouraging thing in recent days was hearing about Ratcliffe's email going tonto about the lack of cleanliness and the state of appearances when on a walkabout. It needs a manager who can restore standards and surround himself with the people to negotiate the restoration of the academy, the club and the football on the pitch.

Until they get rid of the money sucking Glazers, they won't sort anything
The Glazers have backed every single manager massively during their time. I don’t by this nonsense that no manager has a chance. Have they not spent more on their playing squad that Pep has at City during his time in charge there?

Antony for example can only have been signed on recommendation of the current Man Utd manager. An outlay of £80m before you take into account his wages. An absolute disaster of a signing.

The Glazers have backed every single manager massively during their time. I don’t by this nonsense that no manager has a chance. Have they not spent more on their playing squad that Pep has at City during his time in charge there?

Antony for example can only have been signed on recommendation of the current Man Utd manager. An outlay of £80m before you take into account his wages. An absolute disaster of a signing.
Whole Club is a mess - goes back to the Glazer takeover - Overseas owners of British Clubs don’t get what it’s all about

I’ve been looking at the bookies odds this morning on Sky Bet and the names linked with the job are underwhelming with only about 1 or 2 of them that would excite me if I was a Man United fan.

Thomas Tuchel 2/1
Gareth Southgate 3/1
Graham Potter 5/1
Robert De Zerbi 11/1
Zinedine Zidane 11/1
Julian Nagelsmann 12/1
Unai Emery 16/1
Kieran McKenna 20/1
Ruben Amorim 20/1
Thomas Frank 20/1
A pretty unconvincing list

Whole Club is a mess - goes back to the Glazer takeover - Overseas owners of British Clubs don’t get what it’s all about

I am against them but you look at Ipswich and think wow. I actually like the Turkish fella at Hull and Newcastle seem quite at peace with their owners.

A player who only the year before signing for them Man Utd scouts said he wasn’t worth much more than £25m.

They’re an absolute laughing stock, until they get rid of the ones that have been there the longest then nothing will ever change no matter who the manager is

Julian Nagelsmann Think he signed a new contract with the German FA. Not that that means anything

Poisoned chalice at present that job.

I think they'll keep ETH due to the overhauling of football Dept behind the scenes.

He'll get half a season and bring in a young project coach, or go for Ancelotti when he gets the bullet for not having a 100% win rate at Madrid. :D

Back