Man United’s manager options

There is a lack of good managers around.

The same old ones keep doing the rounds, sacked from one job then get hired to do another, a managerial merry-go-round.

Roy Keane.Please please give the job to Roy Keane

I wouldn’t be shocked if Southgate goes in the summer if he’s the next England manager.
I believe Southgate was at Selhurst last night...Probably saw enough to think, 'F*ck that for a game of soldiers, I will stay where I am'.

Keane is happiest slagging everyone off be it player or manager and I doubt would ever want to leave that particular comfort zone.

Whoever takes over will have to lay down and be allowed a long term plan as a year or two into the job isn't going to solve anything at that club.

I’ve been looking at the bookies odds this morning on Sky Bet and the names linked with the job are underwhelming with only about 1 or 2 of them that would excite me if I was a Man United fan.

Thomas Tuchel 2/1
Gareth Southgate 3/1
Graham Potter 5/1
Robert De Zerbi 11/1
Zinedine Zidane 11/1
Julian Nagelsmann 12/1
Unai Emery 16/1
Kieran McKenna 20/1
Ruben Amorim 20/1
Thomas Frank 20/1
As an outsider and most likely wrong, I’d say the problem is the attitude of some of the players rather than the management team. Even Van Gaal and Mourinho struggled due to the club policy of buying big name players the managers may or may not want and shoehorning them in.

For a long time Man Utd haven’t looked like a cohesive squad, instead it looks like a bunch of guys just out to go through the motions and get paid.

I really don’t know what any manager can do with toxic players, and unless there is a massive clear out and rebuild process, they’ll never reach the heights they used to again.

Whole Club is a mess - goes back to the Glazer takeover - Overseas owners of British Clubs don’t get what it’s all about
What a load of absolute pish.

Tell that to the fans of Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester and Newcastle.

Are you saying the problems Man Utd face could all be solved by a good local, patriotic, Brexiteer businessman like Mike Ashley or Karl Oyston?

Think Simeone would end up like Conte at Spurs.

You'll never convince me SAF didn't start the rot with Moyes as some type of twisted ego trip that went a bit too much to plan.

As for who now, only ZZ has the sort of instant gravitas to dominate that dressing room.

Arteta is a possibility given how he managed to overhaul the Arsenal squad. Lack of league win might count against him though.

Taking a big job and failing can have a serious knock on affect for a career. 3 years ago Graham Potter was seen as one of the highest rated managers in Europe and now he's being linked with mid table French teams because of 9 bad months at Chelsea.
Agreed but I doubt they care about what happens to McKenna’s career if he fails

I hope they keep him, it's been such great viewing. If not, I hope they go for Southgate to keep the entertainment going!

Sir Jim Radcliffe has already started clearing out the dross outwith the footballing side, he described their IT department as a disgusting mess, ordered a major clean up and demanded all staff return to their offices, no more working from home, he has also criticised a couple of other departments, describing them as amateurish. He now needs to bring in an established DOF, replace and improve the scouting department, before looking at a new manager with a legitimate plan for the future, and not just a name.

Keiran McKenna would be an interesting one.

Depends how patient and calm minded this new ownership team are though.

Feel like this is an increasingly rare opinion but I actually quite like ETH and think they should stick with him. He had Utrecht playing great stuff (I really wanted him in at us around the time of Caixinha’s sacking) and obviously Ajax too.

Granted, I don’t watch Man United week in week out but looking at the squad they have it’s really no better than their current league position. There’s some absolute dross and players who are clearly past it in that squad earning fortunes. The setup above him with recruitment etc has been poor for years too. The squad needs gutted and rebuilt.

I think INEOS will stick with him for another season.

ETH would have been sacked at the weekend if they weren’t in the FA cup final

No idea who they go for but whoever gets the job what a huge task they have to replace the amount of dross in the Utd squad

Have got a feeling they’ll go for Southgate. And if they do, have absolutely no doubt they’ll be back in the exact same position 18 months from now.

Feel like this is an increasingly rare opinion but I actually quite like ETH and think they should stick with him. He had Utrecht playing great stuff (I really wanted him in at us around the time of Caixinha’s sacking) and obviously Ajax too.

Granted, I don’t watch Man United week in week out but looking at the squad they have it’s really no better than their current league position. There’s some absolute dross and players who are clearly past it in that squad earning fortunes. The setup above him with recruitment etc has been poor for years too. The squad needs gutted and rebuilt.

I think INEOS will stick with him for another season.
Man Utd have faced more shots than any team in the league since the turn of the year, have just conceded three goals in twenty minutes against a Championship side and were very fortunate not to get knocked out.

Even a poor Man Utd side should at least contend for a top four place In the league. I think he is an absolute fraud and have done since he threw Sancho under the bus when his subs were the difference between winning and losing against Arsenal early in the season.

I’ve been looking at the bookies odds this morning on Sky Bet and the names linked with the job are underwhelming with only about 1 or 2 of them that would excite me if I was a Man United fan.

Thomas Tuchel 2/1
Gareth Southgate 3/1
Graham Potter 5/1
Robert De Zerbi 11/1
Zinedine Zidane 11/1
Julian Nagelsmann 12/1
Unai Emery 16/1
Kieran McKenna 20/1
Ruben Amorim 20/1
Thomas Frank 20/1
Zidane would be decent

If you want short term success and quick impact, you hire Tuchel.

But Man United want long term success and need a full blown rebuild. Something which should rule Tuchel out completely in my opinion.
That's what I want at Ibrox, long term success rather than what we are doing at the moment, because it ain't working.

There is a lack of good managers around.

The same old ones keep doing the rounds, sacked from one job then get hired to do another, a managerial merry-go-round.
Because managers aren't being given time to work on the way forward. This is the same everywhere in football and as you say, the same names on the merry-go-round.

That list is horrendous.

Emery would be awful. He's the sort of manager that excels with clubs with low expectations whereas struggles with those where the expectations are insane.

Problem is the players have nobody to be held accountable to. Players under Fergie new full well if they went toe-to-toe with him that they would lose and having that figure there ensured they held the standards demanded by the club to win.

They didn't respect LVG and Mourinho; two guys with proven records.

These days the players run riot over that club.

Sir Alex would have tossed out the likes of Antony and Rashford out ages ago just like he did with Beckham, Keane and almost Rooney before Wayne backed down.

Feel they need a massive figure as manager. Someone who will have instant respect of the dressing room.

Someone like Zidane would be fun.

Their problems are deeper than the manager ofc. They’re player policy has been horrendous and they will be stuck with deadwood for years.

The biggest problem is that they have is squad of shite players on mammoth wages. Which lends itself to bringing in more shite players on mammoth wages.

Similar to the problems we face ( albeit to a lesser monetary extent) , the core players have got multiple managers the sack.

Sell the lot & start again, will save millions in the long run instead of spun king 200m a season on terrible transfers.

Sir Jim Radcliffe has already started clearing out the dross outwith the footballing side, he described their IT department as a disgusting mess, ordered a major clean up and demanded all staff return to their offices, no more working from home, he has also criticised a couple of other departments, describing them as amateurish. He now needs to bring in an established DOF, replace and improve the scouting department, before looking at a new manager with a legitimate plan for the future, and not just a name.
Have to say I saw this the other day and thought it was something that sounded very good from an owner.

Understanding the overall importance of the culture, attitude and professionalism and its impact throughout. An institution the size of Man Utd and with its history needs folk who instil an elite attitude at every level and genuinely care about the values of the club.

Get that stuff right and it'll bleed into everyone who steps in the door and bring them all up to their best levels. Let it slip and slide or turn a blind eye and that will erode everyone's performance and application over time.

Man U isn't now and never will be a project club, the idea a manager is going to need, or be given, years to fix them just doesn't compute to me, it's a reflection of how badly they have been managed that people speak of them in that way. Ten Hag and Solskjaer have simply been bad managers.

Ten Hag has, not solely his fault, died on his arse at Man U as a consequence of recruitment, the players signed, some of which he clearly has had a say in are a terrible reflection of him.

Anthony for close to 100 million while Sancho is ripping up CL Semi Finals is a microcosm of how much a shambles his time with them has been.

He's not signed with logic, they have no sense of purpose or tactical direction when they play, they are a really bad football team, they do look poorly coaches and he has fell out with players.

I don't rate Tuchel as the greatest coach in the world but I would expect him to have them in and around a race for the Champions League place at least if given a couple of hundred million, it's not really as great a challenge as some write it to be, they do have a lot of talented players on their books and spend a lot of money on players.

Man U isn't now and never will be a project club, the idea a manager is going to need, or be given, years to fix them just doesn't compute to me, it's a reflection of how badly they have been managed that people speak of them in that way. Ten Hag and Solskjaer have simply been bad managers.

Ten Hag has, not solely his fault, died on his arse at Man U as a consequence of recruitment, the players signed, some of which he clearly has had a say in are a terrible reflection of him.

Anthony for close to 100 million while Sancho is ripping up CL Semi Finals is a microcosm of how much a shambles his time with them has been.

He's not signed with logic, they have no sense of purpose or tactical direction when they play, they are a really bad football team, they do look poorly coaches and he has fell out with players.

I don't rate Tuchel as the greatest coach in the world but I would expect him to have them in and around a race for the Champions League place at least if given a couple of hundred million, it's not really as great a challenge as some write it to be, they do have a lot of talented players on their books and spend a lot of money on players.
To say Man United has never been a project club I disagree with. If they’ve always been about quick success, Fergie would’ve got sacked instead of getting 7 years to win a title. Thomas Tuchel is a short term fix but we’ve seen this everywhere he goes that after about a year, the team gets worse, he falls out with players and boards, throws his toys out the pram and then he goes.

United need stability and a process. Look at what Arsenal did, another club who’s fanbase believed they weren’t a project club. The reality is with the mess they were in, that’s exactly what they were. They’ve gave Arteta time, allowed him to drain the swamp, recruited better and now they’re challenging for titles again. United have to go down an identical route if they want to challenge again.

To say Man United has never been a project club I disagree with. If they’ve always been about quick success, Fergie would’ve got sacked instead of getting 7 years to win a title. Thomas Tuchel is a short term fix but we’ve seen this everywhere he goes that after about a year, the team gets worse, he falls out with players and boards, throws his toys out the pram and then he goes.

United need stability and a process. Look at what Arsenal did, another club who’s fanbase believed they weren’t a project club. The reality is with the mess they were in, that’s exactly what they were, they’ve gave Arteta time, recruited better and now they’re challenging for titles again. United have to go down an identical route

I probably should have conditioned it to say since Ferguson, but given he took over 40 years ago and they have been one of the largest clubs in the world for most of that time, I would say most would take it as given to say they are past the project club phase.

Tuchel has won multiple titles, a Champions League and might win another with Bayern. For all that Arteta has rebuilt Arsenal, they still haven't done that, and he has really only taken a pretty big club who spend a lot of money to the place a big club spending money should be.

If Arteta doesn't win a trophy again next season with Arsenal after they have punted 100 million into their squad in the summer, he will likely be sacked, a club can rebuild all they want, but when it comes to the top 4 or 5 clubs in England, 2 or 3 in Germany, 2 or 3 in Italy or Spain, they also need to win things, Tuchel does that

I probably should have conditioned it to say since Ferguson, but given he took over 40 years ago and they have been one of the largest clubs in the world for most of that time, I would say most would take it as given to say they are past the project club phase.

Tuchel has won multiple titles, a Champions League and might win another with Bayern. For all that Arteta has rebuilt Arsenal, they still haven't done that, and he has really only taken a pretty big club who spend a lot of money to the place a big club spending money should be.

If Arteta doesn't win a trophy again next season with Arsenal after they have punted 100 million into their squad in the summer, he will likely be sacked, a club can rebuild all they want, but when it comes to the top 4 or 5 clubs in England, 2 or 3 in Germany, 2 or 3 in Italy or Spain, they also need to win things, Tuchel does that
The best Tuchel will do is win the odd cups that Mourinho, Van Gaal and Ten Hag have all won. Give it a year or two , the team would get worse, he’ll fall out with players regardless if the swamp is drained or not because he does that everywhere he goes and he’ll be out the door. United need long term stability.

The best Tuchel will do is win the odd cups that Mourinho, Van Gaal and Ten Hag have all won. Give it a year or two , the team would get worse, he’ll fall out with players regardless if the swamp is drained or not because he does that everywhere he goes and he’ll be out the door. United need long term stability.

The best he done with Chelsea was a Champions League.

In this day and age most managers work in 2 or 3 year bursts and cycles,

Man United need to start acting like a serious football club again and appointing a top class manager who has won leagues at the highest levels, Champions Leagues and made Finals managers like, Tuchel, managers who are still relevant in their time.

I would expect if they appointed a serious manager, they would probably have their eyes opened to just how poor their last couple of managers have actually been

The premise of long term stability wouldn't exist at a club like Man United without success and results, they aren't Brighton.

If you want short term success and quick impact, you hire Tuchel.

But Man United want long term success and need a full blown rebuild. Something which should rule Tuchel out completely in my opinion.

The thing is, it took a quarter of a century for Man Utd to find a worthy successor to Busby and only with a win at Notts Forest in the FA Cup did Alex Ferguson hang onto his job. The rest as they say is history. But between Busby and Ferguson, we are talking legendary boots to fill.

It may well, and it's looking likely at the moment, take the same amount of time to find someone to take over Ferguson's mantle.

It's the millions upon millions they are spending in futility, I can't comprehend.

However, I have enough footballing problems on my own doorstep.

The best he done with Chelsea was a Champions League.

In this day and age most managers work in 2 or 3 year bursts and cycles,

Man United need to start acting like a serious football club again and appointing a top class manager who has won leagues at the highest levels, Champions Leagues and made Finals managers like, Tuchel, managers who are still relevant in their time.

I would expect if they appointed a serious manager, they would probably have their eyes opened to just how poor their last couple of managers have actually been

The premise of long term stability wouldn't exist at a club like Man United without success and results, they aren't Brighton.
Mourinho managed Chelsea too and won 3 titles and won 2 champions leagues elsewhere at Porto and Inter. Just because Tuchel did that at Chelsea in his honeymoon period before the team got worse under him doesn’t mean he’d simply do that at Man United. They might not even be in Europe next season and by the time they could be back in Europe is when Tuchel usually throws his toys out the pram at a club, falls out with everyone and leaves.

He’s not the man for the job. Short term with the utter mess he’d take over, the best he’d win is a cup.

The best options are all in jobs. Luis Enrique, Diego Simeone and Simone Inzaghi are the best choices IMO.

Mourinho managed Chelsea too and won 3 titles and won 2 champions leagues elsewhere at Porto and Inter. Just because Tuchel did that at Chelsea in his honeymoon period before the team got worse under him doesn’t mean he’d simply do that at Man United. They might not even be in Europe next season and by the time they could be back in Europe is when Tuchel usually throws his toys out the pram at a club, falls out with everyone and leaves.

He’s not the man for the job. Short term with the utter mess he’d take over, the best he’d win is a cup.

The best options are all in jobs. Luis Enrique, Diego Simeone and Simone Inzaghi are the best choices IMO.

I haven't said he would simply do it at Man United, I don't think it would be simple, it would be a challenge which is why it makes sense to recruit the most talented manager at a time when clubs are patently struggling with that aspect, and when one of their main rivals will be slightly destabilized

He would likely be going in given 100 million plus and a clutch of players who could perform far better under another coach. It looks a far greater mess because of how god awful it is under their current manager.

i.e see the quick change in us under Gerrard when he arrived, a talented manager can change a club quickly when taking over from a poor one.

Speaking about Simeone is slightly redundant, given he likely wouldn't want the job, there is a reason there is a list of mangers the bookies expect, it is because they are likely and realistic targets.

Saying they should get Simeone is a bit like saying they should just get Klopp yeah great, they should, but circumstances mean they won't.

Back