McAuley

Obviously age is an issue, so what's the NI guys opinion of how he was looking last season?

If he's still looking good & fit, i'm all for it. We have a limited budget, and if he is still playing to the level he was a couple of years ago, coupled with Goldson signing i think that would make us a lot more solid in defence. If we can afford another top center half after purchasing Goldson, & strengthening other positions then by all means, but if it starts to spread too thinly & he's still a good player lets get him in.

Obviously age is an issue, so what's the NI guys opinion of how he was looking last season?

If he's still looking good & fit, i'm all for it. We have a limited budget, and if he is still playing to the level he was a couple of years ago, coupled with Goldson signing i think that would make us a lot more solid in defence. If we can afford another top center half after purchasing Goldson, & strengthening other positions then by all means, but if it starts to spread too thinly & he's still a good player lets get him in.
For me it’s a no brainier he’s fit looks after himself been playing at a higher level for years against far better players he’s brilliant at international level scores from set pieces at club and international level Euros against Ukraine oh Gareth Macauley !

I posted this up after it came up on one of those cheap news site yesterday, the bookies has us favourite for his next Club.

But come on, the Daily Record Exclusive, when are Supporters going to realise the DR know nothing, and anything they do get is Agents trying to draw attention to their Clients. If we are going by the Daily Record then Dylan McGeogh and John McGinn will be following McAuley to Ibrox. I see other news agencies are running thee story but referring to the DR story,.

This is not even worth discussing.

Doubt there is anything in this at all.

New manager, new start, and we are considering a 38 year old centre half. I thought we would be starting to build for the future, not the next six months.
If you believe the Daily Record!

We are blowing a huge amount on Goldson so we will be looking at bosmans and loans for our other centre halves imo.

McAuely could work for a season or so with Goldson with the power and pace beside him to cover. We couldn't have two fullbacks over lapping and playing like wingers though or he would get exposed on the break, we would need one of our fullbacks to be another solid defender who defends first and foremost.

Flanagan?

Flanagan
McAuely
Goldson
Tav

Could be decent enough.

He's been mentioned enough times on here for the Rebel to go with it. FF is about as good as their sources get.

I'd rather have Alves than McAuley.

People are saying Alves didn't play enough last season and thats true. He would however have played a lot more if we had a proper manager instead of a kiddies coach who thought Danny Wilson and Russell Martin were better options.

Still first pick for our National Team. He has never had pace. So that hasn't changed him.

Knows what Rangers are all about. As a fellow Larne man, I would be delighted to see him join

Getting (reportedly) linked with far too many the wrong side of 30 for me. At this rate half the team will be Liverpool teenagers the other half guys 33-38 years old.

I can accept a few from each but looking fir more balance.

The only positive I can see from this is that he is a big threat from corners which we just don't have. I think this would be a season too far for him.

Reactions: TBM
Not for me, ffs he would be older than the manager ! I would like to think we will be trying to build a team for the next few years, a 38 year old is not what I had in mind.

I couldn't care less if McAuley still plays for Northern Ireland. One, they don't have the expectations of Rangers and two, it shows what their options at CB are.

I'd rather have Bruno Alves than Gareth McAuley. If this guy wasn't a Northern Irish, Rangers supporter, no one would give a shit.

For people complaining about his pace and fullbacks bombing forward, there’s simple solutions to this 1. you play three at the back and him in the middle with Goldson and McCrorie either side 2. You tell the fullbacks to stay back 3. Have McCrorie play a defensive midfielder role and drop back when the full backs are forward.

Yes an
If he is free then surely as back up thios is a good move. In the SPL you need to be rugged and tough as nails, ok he lacks pace but so did Davie weir and we need four centre backs for the full season.

Yes and so did Martin, and we seen how bad he was, surely we want Stevie G. to try and build a relatively younger team full of guts skill and energy.Instead of bringing in older players that's looking for a last big pay day. There's bound to be good young players out there, who would love to play for the Gers.under our new coaching staff.Weve had enough of has beens coming to us, a new era is about to start along with hopefully different ideas.
Bring it on (Lets Go)

I couldn't care less if McAuley still plays for Northern Ireland. One, they don't have the expectations of Rangers and two, it shows what their options at CB are.

I'd rather have Bruno Alves than Gareth McAuley. If this guy wasn't a Northern Irish, Rangers supporter, no one would give a shit.

Would we not be looking at experienced, dominant centre half’s with years of EPL experience who are available, N Irish or otherwise.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we are giving consideration to the likes of James Collins, John Terry, etc.

NI have strong centre back options in Evans and Cathcart but I suspect McAuley will still make the 1st 11 for most matches if he is fit because he is extremely reliable.

If we can get better and younger then that’ll do nicely, if not he’d be a good guy to have on board for a year or two.

Yes an
If he is free then surely as back up thios is a good move. In the SPL you need to be rugged and tough as nails, ok he lacks pace but so did Davie weir and we need four centre backs for the full season.

Yes and so did Martin, and we seen how bad he was, surely we want Stevie G. to try and build a relatively younger team full of guts skill and energy.Instead of bringing in older players that's looking for a last big pay day. There's bound to be good young players out there, who would love to play for the Gers.under our new coaching staff.Weve had enough of has beens coming to us, a new era is about to start along with hopefully different ideas.
Bring it on (Lets Go)

The difference with him is he didn’t play full time football until he was like 25 or so meaning he hasn’t had as much strain on the body. Don’t get it wrong McAuley is very fit and physically dominant, just not the quickest

The game is a lot quicker now, so to buy over the hill defenders with no pace is asking for trouble.
People say oh it's not a big problem as they read the game and spot danger before it happens, if that's indeed true, some fans should look at our goals against column last season, and think differently.
As stated before on some posts, there's plenty of talented boys out there, who im sure would love to sign for us. Imo.

As a back up option this is fine. But no way should we be looking to sign a 38 year old to be a mainstay in our side for next season.

We need to bear in mind as well lads that since January we've lost:

Wilson
Bates
Martin

Alves is seemingly away.

McCrorie is better in midfield.

We will need at least three centre backs in the transfer window. We can't sign 3 Goldson's at 3m a pop, we are going to need to be cute and look for value for money as well which could mean smart bosmans, cheap gambles or loan signings (or a combination of all).

IMO the most important attribute a Rangers CB can have is pace.

Particularly when your fullbacks go forward as much ours and particularly when you're going to play a pressing game when you don't have the ball as I believe we will.

Most of the goals we lose are on the break. We spend the majority of most games with the ball attacking the opposition. Winning the ball back and hitting us on the counter is the most likely way for diddy teams to score against us.

2 CB's with pace would go a long way to dealing with that threat.

Don't get me wrong they need to be physically strong and good in the air too so we're not vulnerable in the air/at set plays but pace goes a long way.

Someone like McAuley can get by just fine at WBA or Northern Ireland with his lack of pace because these teams are defending deep the vast majority of the time. David Weir's lack of pace wasn't an issue when Walter was here because he set us up deeper to deal with that - the flipside of the coin (and people may deny it now) but there was a lot of complaints we were too defensive/boring to watch under Walter. Turgid was a word used often and our support has only got more moany (not less) since then.

I can't imagine Stevie G is coming here to play a defensive style of play so we really do need pace at the back.

Would happily sign him on a 1 year deal - Wouldn't do any harm having him around our younger defenders pass on some experience.

Back