McCausland bombed out since his injury

I know a few at the club think the players were overworked and wrecked before pre season had finished.
I can’t say I know enough about it, but I remember last season the general consensus was that Gio never worked them hard enough, working more on technique rather than fitness.

Is it possible Beale over compensated and ran them into the ground instead?

I know a few at the club think the players were overworked and wrecked before pre season had finished.
Whose decision would that be the conditioning and performance coaches ? Doesn’t data show them they are driving them into red zone too often ?

McCausland when not playing safe is a much better player, he was good v Dundee and excellent yesterday, reminds me a bit of Huistra.
Did you know we signed him from Twente Esche …. Ooops sorry to interrupt you Gerry McNee but yes we did you told us every fuckin time he put his boots on

Clement post match has said he’s been managed since his injury so fair enough.

For me he deserves a start next week.
He was playing well and was linking well with tav abs cantwell

Then really tav had only one who started while cantwell and mcausland got injured.

How that was not a red for tackle against mcausland I don't know.

The motherwell player raised his foot to hit him

This is where refs come into it it was a 50/50 it stops our players going for them if ref isn't going protect them while the opposition get no punishment.

Our overall football product would be better if the refs applied the rules fairly/correctly

I can’t say I know enough about it, but I remember last season the general consensus was that Gio never worked them hard enough, working more on technique rather than fitness.

Is it possible Beale over compensated and ran them into the ground instead?

Dunno if it was compensation but the feeling is they were ran into the ground.

Whose decision would that be the conditioning and performance coaches ? Doesn’t data show them they are driving them into red zone too often ?

It would have been Ade and Beale that decided on it. You would think that but there was talk that we weren’t using the zone 7 system anymore as we and other clubs had issues with it and equipment wasn’t used or used properly like Clement hinted with the cyro chamber.

Cause he’s only just got back to being fully fit, he’s been named on the bench while being barely fit.

The amount of injuries has been ridiculous and that’s meant players have overplayed or played out of position like Sterling. Somehow some on here thought Dr Waller was gonna cure that despite his record not being great either.
100% he has been on the bench despite not being fully fit with plan to only use if necessary due to number of injuries to wide players
Michael oneill also mentioned in an interview that Ross not fit and he was mindful of this when selecting

It was good to see him get significant minutes yesterday and he is getting sharper

He was playing well and was linking well with tav abs cantwell

Then really tav had only one who started while cantwell and mcausland got injured.

How that was not a red for tackle against mcausland I don't know.

The motherwell player raised his foot to hit him

This is where refs come into it it was a 50/50 it stops our players going for them if ref isn't going protect them while the opposition get no punishment.

Our overall football product would be better if the refs applied the rules fairly/correctly
I'm sure the ref didn't give a free kick or yellow, never mind a red. A disgrace.

100% he has been on the bench despite not being fully fit with plan to only use if necessary due to number of injuries to wide players
Michael oneill also mentioned in an interview that Ross not fit and he was mindful of this when selecting

It was good to see him get significant minutes yesterday and he is getting sharper

Yeh O’Neil said it was a complicated issue.

McCausland is a tidy wee player who can give the team balance and an out ball if required.

He is still young though and we need better to play this position going forward if we are to challenge the rattlers.

McCausland is a tidy wee player who can give the team balance and an out ball if required.

He is still young though and we need better to play this position going forward if we are to challenge the rattlers.
It depends how much improvement there is in him. He has had about half a season of senior football, at the start of the season most thought he wouldn’t make the breakthrough at all.

If he can get a good pre season under his belt and kick on again, you never know, he might just be good enough. Certainly needs to improve his tracking back though, and obviously get his assist count up, crucial as a wide player.

His injury was a pretty bad one, and he'd gone off the boil prior to getting injured. His cameos, post injury, were all pretty poor, and he looked like he'd lost a bit of his rhythm/confidence.

I don't remember anyone saying he should be playing and starting regularly a few weeks ago. Almost as if, he's played well in the last two games and people are letting their recency bias colour their overall perception.
I agree re the clamour to play him cos he played well yesterday but he’s still far too lightweight to make it, if you are that small you better either be rapid or technically brilliant. He is neither I’m afraid.

Could probably have had more but 9 goals/assists in 18 starts is decent for a player breaking into the 1st team. Contributions like that from youth team players should hopefully let us reduce the amount of overpaid squad players we have and spend more money on quality.

Could probably have had more but 9 goals/assists in 18 starts is decent for a player breaking into the 1st team. Contributions like that from youth team players should hopefully let us reduce the amount of overpaid squad players we have and spend more money on quality.

Definitely could if his decision making was better, he should have squared it for Dessers against Celtic and took himself against Hearts.

I’m hoping with more first team games and more training with the first team we will be a good squad player, possibly more.

Until the season is effectively over. Why?

I’m not saying he’s the answer long term. He’s a good player who is worthy of a place in the squad, no more.

But our best performances and run this season came when he was playing wide right. He makes the team more balanced but instead Clement seemed to favour playing Sterling out of position there. I don’t know why and it’s one a few baffling decisions that have been made.
Doesn't track back as much or do enough defensively and rather than looking towards the RB as the root issue we bomb out a young boy who is actually meant to be creating and scoring goals as a winger and play another player who appears to have CM as his best position (whilst the 2 man midfield struggles to fill the gaps left in our defence) there instead and then act surprised when we struggle to consistently create goals from open play largely during the period from Motherwell @ Ibrox to Dundee away.

This is also why we haven't really signed many out and out right wingers in recent years, Tavernier is our right winger. If our actual right winger doesn't help out defensively then we become imbalanced and dysfunctional.

An overly complicated and backwards way to set up and I can't think of any successful clubs that place such a huge reliance on a full back to create and assist so many goals, when we could simply have more defensively minded players at the back and start getting our midfielders and wingers creating and scoring the goals and moving forward as their main job, like most teams. Our rivals included.

Last edited:
Back