Memories of Gary Stevens

Tad before my time, but one hell of a resume playing for us, 6 League, 2 Scottish Cup and 3 Scottish League Cup medals to his name, during his 6 year and 246 game stay (as per The Rangers Archive)
Main one that sticks out to me, and I am sure others, is scoring the first goal of what would be our start to accomplishing 9 in a row against Hamilton in 1988
382C6A9A-DE90-41A6-8B5F-2CBF3427113D-scaled.jpeg
It has been said, he scored the winner at Hamilton that started the long road to 9 in a row.

Great player.

This has always stuck with me.

A game at Easter Rd and a big clueless balloon was giving him dog’s abuse from start to finish including “Stevens, you’re a horse's arse. Never a Rangers player.”

I was dying to say something, but he was built like a brick shit hoose.

That bloke is probably now a match thread veteran.
Probably the same lump of wood who would slaughter Davie Cooper when he first signed for us.

It has been said, he scored the winner at Hamilton that started the long road to 9 in a row.

Great player.
I was at that game as the Directors of Accies were clients so I took a table at their hospitality.
He picked up a ball about the half way line and ran on and hit a low shot into the left corner as far as I and a bottle of the red stuff can remember. Great guy and enjoyed him watching play.

Great player though my best memory of him was at my works Xmas do at Duck Bay Marina, had a big leg cast, dancing on crutches and chatting up girls from my work :D

Did a good QnA at London Bridge about 6 months ago for the London and South East RSC'S . Spoke fondly of his time and I had certainly forgotten he played in the Maradona ' Hand of God ' game . Was back from Australia for a few weeks . Good to hear his stories

Quite simply put. Stevens was the finest right back of his generation. And easily the best rb I've ever seen play for us! For me, Hes still the standard bearer of what a modern full back should be. Why he's not in our hall of fame yet is a disgrace!

Despite my appreciation of Tavernier, Gary Stevens is still the best right back I've seen at Rangers since I started going (late 80's). Always think he is one that can sometimes be a bit over looked in terms of his contribution to the 9 in a row team. Probably because his was in the earlier years and he wasn't a superstar like McCoist, Gazza, Hateley or Laudrup. He is 5th on the appearances list for 9inar. Immense player.

Despite my appreciation of Tavernier, Gary Stevens is still the best right back I've seen at Rangers since I started going (late 80's). Always think he is one that can sometimes be a bit over looked in terms of his contribution to the 9 in a row team. Probably because his was in the earlier years and he wasn't a superstar like McCoist, Gazza, Hateley or Laudrup. He is 5th on the appearances list for 9inar. Immense player.
Out of interest, who are the 4 ahead?

I’m thinking Gough, Ferguson, McCoist and Bomber?

Class player and a gentleman. Had a chat with him in his hotel room at about 2am one night, not long after he'd left us. He was up for golf and staying in the hotel I was working in. I'd no idea he was booked in until he opened the door to receive his room service from me. He was more than happy to chat even at that hour .. and he tipped well.

Utterly heartbreaking what him and his family went through with his young kid a few years back. I'm sure they are still devastated. So sad for them.

Didn’t Walter try that away at AEK?

I'm sure you are correct.

We lost 2-0, but by all accounts it could have been a lot more. It just didn't happen for Walter, the team or for us in Europe after 92/93, in that first spell.

However, I'll forever compare and contrast how scathing and snidey the media were during that period of Rangers in Europe to the relatively easy ride they've given Rodgers and the flange over roughly the last seven or eight seasons.

Loved him. Solid defender and had great work rate. He would have starred for any of the top teams around at that time. Would be in my best Rangers Xi from my lifetime

He was up there with the best. SJ pips it for me as the best right back we’ve ever had.
Anyway I’ve been roped into assist at my works Christmas kids party. Circa Dunblane 1992, my own son is 8 months old and obviously there. I’m dressed as the Pink Panther, I’ve been told that Gary Stevens is downstairs with his family, I pop down to have a wee chat, his young son clocks me in the costume is all taken aback. Gary asks me what’s going on. I tell him and next thing him and his young son are being entertained by yours truly…

Tad before my time, but one hell of a resume playing for us, 6 League, 2 Scottish Cup and 3 Scottish League Cup medals to his name, during his 6 year and 246 game stay (as per The Rangers Archive)
Main one that sticks out to me, and I am sure others, is scoring the first goal of what would be our start to accomplishing 9 in a row against Hamilton in 1988
382C6A9A-DE90-41A6-8B5F-2CBF3427113D-scaled.jpeg
Excellent fullback pre injury, one of the best we had.

He wasn't bad for Everton either. Saw him when they beat Spurs 2-1 at the Lane on a Wednesday night in April 1985 on their way to becoming champions. Stevens scored that evening, along with Andy Gray, who was simply unplayable.

Random, just had a clear out of the spare room and found a Gary Stevens Esso coin from the 1990 World Cup.
Loved it when he signed for Rangers as I could bask in the reflected glory having played in the same team as him in his pre Everton days. His dad was my instructor in the shipyard training school, his uncle was a workmate and teammate and his best man was my apprentice. Knew his first wife too.
Super fit naturally, terrific right back and a good guy all round.

Brilliant player . 88-92 was one of the best RB's anywhere and we had him.
I remember a great goal from a lung bursting run at Motherwell in the pouring rain.
Absolute class.

A great right-back.

I remember being disappointed when he left, had injuries done him in or something? I can't recall why he went, just being a bit sad he was off.

Wonderful player and key to the pace that Rangers tended to play at over that period.
I used to see him out in Glasgow with some of the players and the wives/girlfriends after matches and he was always good for a quick chat with fans too.

I’ll make a controversial comment though… I was surprised that he scored so few goals given the amount of time he spent in the opposition half, and the composure that he showed when he scored the goals he got.

Going by Wikipedia stats, he got 8 in 187 games, now that’ll be League matches only but even weighing it up for Cup & Europe then it still feels surprising for someone known for being such a force going forward.
That 1 in 28/29 games holds over his time at Everton & Tranmere as well.

I maintain that the 91/92 season with Stevens and Robertson pushing up on either wing saw some of the best football I’ve seen from a Rangers side - everyone in that side was well drilled about where to go & what to do when Rangers were attacking or defending.

One of his best games was in the league decider against the sheep in 1991. He was shifted to left back after Tom Cowan or Chris Vinnicombe got injured early in the game I think, not sure which one of the two it was but stand to be corrected.

That day was mental as we had to move Scott Nisbet to right back and Nigel Spackman to the centre of defence alongside John Brown.

In the second half Brown got injured and had to go off so Stevens had to move into central defence and it was that bad Mark Hateley had to slot in at left back for the last ten mins. You think our injuries are bad now that day it was off the charts as we put an unfit McCoist on the bench just to make up the numbers.
I went into Ibrox a few hours before kick off at that title decider to present our supporters club player of the year award to Mark Walters. Got ushered into a small room just off the foyer and there was Gary Stevens just chilling out with his feet up. Was really taken aback by how cool and relaxed he was before such a big game. Rolls Royce of a player…

Scored the first goal of nine in a row, and THAT pass back unfortunately , having said that a great signing at the time.

Saw him on his debut which was a freindly (someone remind me against who?). I want to say monaco, but dont think it was and cant be arsed looking it up. Right away he looked class. Confident, unflinching and as hard as F**k. Loved him for us. 200 odd appearances and was a big part in the Souness revolution. Also at his time in Glasgow a great friend with Super. I once saw them on mountain bikes together near the grapes. I think he's in OZ now.

Back