Moving away from Ibrox if a better stadium could be built?

Without sounding dramatic, Ibrox is a part of Rangers, if you take that away, you're taking a part of Rangers away as well. It would never be the same.

The only way it could possibly work in my eyes would be to move away, keep Ibrox and convert it into one massive museum, retaining everything as it is. A compromise but a ludicrous idea.

Last edited:
Knock down Copland, Broomloan and Govan. Knock away the glass brick ‘new’ ends to the main stand and build a new continuous stand right round, joining end to end with the main stand. Incorporating the gates, we could have a stunning stadium that complements the historic with the new and modern.

Memorials appropriately placed to our two disasters.
I agree with this but how are fans going to get to the Club Deck in that case? Incorporate stairwells into the renovated stands I presume?

As others have said, heart says no. Head says yes. Love the facade and history of the main stand - but do feel we're slipping behind in terms of modernity; functionally.

This'll do...

sofi_stadium.jpeg

No but I’d rip the 3 stands up in a heartbeat if it was possible as they are pretty poor let’s be honest. (Concourse wise)

And that’s before you really look and see how much dead space those screens are. Stands out more and more these days. Ideally it’d all be boxed in as well

I’d rather we do what spurs done, buy up all the land around Ibrox and the rebuild, maybe keeping the main stand as an enhanced museum with walkways to the new stadium

Public transport is so crap in this country there's no where to build it that even makes sense, it's actually as close to perfect where it is given the proximity of central station and the airport.

Main stand will always be the main stand, the only realistic proposition is demolition and rebuild of the 3 other stands as a multi tiered wrap around, but even that feels like fantasy given how much that would costs, and how much we've been spending redeveloping hospitality in those stands.

The only cost effective way of increasing season ticket income is unfortunately raising the capacity of hospitality numbers. At the top end 1 hospitality season ticket is worth about 10 -15 times a lower tiered season ticket

At the moment I'm sitting in the Veltins Arena in Germany. It's a cracking stadium, easy to access by public transport and with plenty of parking. Directly in front of me is a purpose built TV camera position. The roof is closed tonight.
Suppose the possibility arose, and financially, it was paid off within ten years and with league wins during that period, could you countenance Rangers moving out of Ibrox if it was to an easily accessible, suburban, 80,000 seat stadium?
No

It’s pie in the sky stuff to be honest. Upgrading to a modern 60-70k seater stadium would cost several hundred million with costs no doubt then skyrocketing during construction.

Unless anyone on the forum is planning on being cryogenically frozen, I’m pretty confident in saying that none of us will ever see us move away from Ibrox in our lifetimes.

I don’t think there would be any reason to. If we needed to upgrade hugely I think we could rebuild the Govan, Copland and Broamloan stands whilst maintaining the Main Stand. Even if it meant having to play at Hampden for a couple of years.

The current site has everything we need and is in a good position for motorways, subway etc
I agree with you. I watched Ibrox being rebuilt, stand by stand, by Mr Waddle. If we need to upgrade, we can do so again, one stand at a time. But I would like our iconic main stand, to remain. Just my opinion, but look at the monstrosity that was built in the East end, the scaffolding stadium, enough said I think.

I remember the outcry when the fans thought Ashley was going to get naming rights. Absolute uproar. Imagine the response if we decided to move! :)

At the moment I'm sitting in the Veltins Arena in Germany. It's a cracking stadium, easy to access by public transport and with plenty of parking. Directly in front of me is a purpose built TV camera position. The roof is closed tonight.
Suppose the possibility arose, and financially, it was paid off within ten years and with league wins during that period, could you countenance Rangers moving out of Ibrox if it was to an easily accessible, suburban, 80,000 seat stadium?
No if we could afford an 80,000 stadium then we could afford to enhance Ibrox be it rebuilding Govan copland or broomloan

As would theirs when they punted Old Ibrox for New Ibrox in the 1920's.

Times and things change.
I don’t think there was the same history and ties to Old Ibrox but maybe they did feel the same.
Still don’t understand why the club cannot move forward and still stay at an enlarged Ibrox if the rebuild money came in. No big difference from building a new stadium elsewhere.

Without sounding dramatic, Ibrox is a part of Rangers, if you take that away, you're taking a part of Rangers away as well. It would never be the same.

The only way it could possibly work in my eyes would be to move away, keep Ibrox and convert it into one massive museum, retaining everything as it is. A compromise but a ludicrous idea.
That's not dramatic, Ibrox is unique, i am so proud of it

Knock down the 3 modern stands and rebuild them. Apart from money I’m not sure about the engineering of trying to integrate them with the main stand.

Knock down the 3 modern stands and rebuild them. Apart from money I’m not sure about the engineering of trying to integrate them with the main stand.
in a perfect world with finance allowing, this would be how we went about things, although I would be inclined to leave the "main stand" as a separate structure, it's a unique and beautiful thing and so for me should be a stand alone entity

Mate people like you I don’t get maybe too old but ffs as a bear all my life wht the fk does something like that even enter your mind if you are our future we are fkd

I get that this is a discussion but I can't believe that people would entertain this. Our stadium is our heart and soul.
The development of Rangers football club is more important. If Ibrox carmot grow with the club, then we have to move on. We can't let a building hold ui back

There is no way GDC celtic supporters club in the chambers would give us and only us planning permission to build a new stadium anywhere.

no way, also to make this cost effective I would assume we would need to move somewhere thats not walking distance from the city centre and that would be a nightmare for getting back

Why would anyone want to move from one of the greatest stadiums on earth
At one time yes. Now, not in the top 30.
Age catches everyone and everything. See old Trafford. Nou camp.

Would prefer to stay and re build. Would reluctantly accept a move for the greater good

Back