Article Mystery surrounds the Sunday Herald

A lot of good people work in the production and distribution of Newspapers ,do you want them to lose their livelihood ?
Where is the Herald printed? Are any humans involved in printing and distribution anymore?

The herald stopped being a decent paper in the nineties. My old man stopped buying it as it was now populated by "left wingers and comic singers". Sad because it was a great read in its day. I always loved current affairs and the old herald was a great newspaper. Now just a vehicle for biased columnists.

The people in production and distribution , do not have a say in the content.
Well they are being badly let down by the journalists and editors who do. Nobody wants to read what is being printed, it's provocative divisive content. So much so people who disagree with Sunday Herald output take pleasure in its slide towards oblivion.
This paper's demise is not the fault of customers who stopped buying, or who don't want to buy in the first place. It's the fault of the herald journalists and editors whose work is so awful nobody wants to read it.

that is true the people in production and distribution do not have a say in the content that go's into the paper. but why there they or their union not speaking up about what is killing the herald and their jobs. because haggerty and her pals do not give a shit about them. or maybe they all have the same views as haggerty and her pals.

The herald stopped being a decent paper in the nineties. My old man stopped buying it as it was now populated by "left wingers and comic singers". Sad because it was a great read in its day. I always loved current affairs and the old herald was a great newspaper. Now just a vehicle for biased columnists.
The Herald was my paper of choice back then.
I encountered one issue with articles by a Patrick Reilly, Pat Kane and Collette Douglas Home, and haven't bought it since. I still miss the crossword though.
Cool story bro.

The Herald was my paper of choice back then.
I encountered one issue with articles by a Patrick Reilly, Pat Kane and Collette Douglas Home, and haven't bought it since. I still miss the crossword though.
Cool story bro.

When I bought the Herald - from the early- to late- 80s - I always used to look forward to Tom Shields' Diary and Jack McLean's (the Urban Voltaire) column, as well as the crossword.

Sad, what it's become.

When I bought the Herald - from the early- to late- 80s - I always used to look forward to Tom Shields' Diary and Jack McLean's (the Urban Voltaire) column, as well as the crossword.

Sad, what it's become.

It’s a tragedy. Like you, i first started taking the Herald in the early 80’s and I finally gave up around 12 years later, tired of the insidious soi dissant left-wing thoughtspeak that percolated on every page. Factor in the growing unabashed anti Rangers agenda and that was the end for me. It was a great newspaper once but now it’s little more than a tawdry comic that even Sixth formers would be embarrassed to be caught producing.

Off topic but he used to be my art teacher and, having not seen him in decades, I was pleasantly surprised to see him standing outside a boozer on Pollokshaws Road last Saturday, having a smoke. I had no idea he was still alive as he must be a right auld age by now. He was immaculately turned out, as always. He hadn't a clue who I was, right enough. :cool:

Off topic but he used to be my art teacher and, having not seen him in decades, I was pleasantly surprised to see him standing outside a boozer on Pollokshaws Road last Saturday, having a smoke. I had no idea he was still alive as he must be a right auld age by now. He was immaculately turned out, as always. He hadn't a clue who I was, right enough. :cool:

Heraghty’s by any chance? He was a regular in there back in the 80’s and 90’s IIRC.

The Herald became victim to the creeping pseudo-intellectual leftisim of Scotland's chattering classes in the 90s - a sort of McGuardian if you like.

Passed Heraghtys going to the semi final at Hampden 2016 and thought about him as he always mentioned it in his column.
Like you I assumed he was long gone

The Herald became victim to the creeping pseudo-intellectual leftisim of Scotland's chattering classes in the 90s - a sort of McGuardian if you like.
Spiers was actually one of the first to make a career out of it. Only time he could be called a trailblazer

A lot of good people work in the production and distribution of Newspapers ,do you want them to lose their livelihood ?

A lot of good people lose their jobs every day.
Pound for pound it's difficult to shed any tears for an institution that openly despises us, irrespective of it's workforce.

Technology has both advanced & ravaged the printing industry in the last 50 years since I joined it. The Scotsman & Herald were well respected publications in those days.
The internet & social media have encouraged every Tom, Graham & Angela with
the nous of a ' trackside graffiti dauber' while real journalism is rarer than 'Poppies @Porkheed' ............

The real undermining of the Herald - both in terms of journalistic integrity and as a business was done under the regime of Mark Douglas-Home with his assistants of Kevin McKenna and Joan McAlpine.

They turned what had been a paper of record into a sub-Student Union rag.

Tragic.

McAlpine was married to Pat Kane, co-write a book with Sheridan and had a definite agenda she brought to the paper. No wonder it became rank rotten.

Seems nowadays that’s about all you need to get into that line of work.

People with half a brain now get their news online, which is most of us now. The only audience these papers have left are the dregs of society.

I often wonder if they know they’re f@cked and have stopped giving a toss.

Sad, what it's become.

Me too, apart from the crossword. Shields was amusing despite being one of them. Did McLean not continually reference Babbitty Bowsters and the fine young filly’s therin in his pieces?

Me too, apart from the crossword. Shields was amusing despite being one of them. Did McLean not continually reference Babbitty Bowsters and the fine young filly’s therin in his pieces?

He did indeed. Babbity’s opened in the mid to late Eighties and quite a few of the Herald writing team drank there. Sadly, much like the Herald, Babbity’s is a shadow of its’ former self.

She was once on Newsnight Scotland described as Angela Haggerty - Tax Expert
I remember her outright insistence the 1st tier tribunal was not a victory for Rangers. She was talking up the few cases Rangers conceded like they were the most crucial aspect of the whole thing. She gave no breakdown of numbers of conceded cases v numbers of cases the tribunal ruled to be compliant with tax law, and unbelievably Haggerty wasn't asked to by the presenter. Never has such an ill informed, unqualified "expert" been given such an easy time on Newsnight. She really was dreadful and totally unchallenged on the tribal guff she spat out.

She's a sad indication of where journalism is going.
She posts stuff to get a reaction and then feeds off it, it's Katie Hopkins-esque.
If folk stopped replying to her on social media and muted the inane pish she posts she would quickly go away.

Please tell me you just made that up.

She was on to team up with Sarah Smith against Craig Houston.

Hag & Smith were pathetic, there was no debate they were acting lee ke a tag team.

Can't remember if she said she was a tax expert but that what Pacific Quay csc had her on to discuss

Last edited:
As a Glasgow taxi driver I can confirm that he is one tight arsed bastrd

She was on to team up with Sarah Smith against Craig Houston.

Hag & Smith were pathetic, there was no debate they were acting lee ke a tag team.

Can't remember if she said she was a tax expert but that what Pacific Quay csc had her on to discuss
Absolutely scary VH - both the ignorance they possess, and the black propaganda they'll use, in order to besmirch the Rangers name.

I worked there for 6 years in the last decade. At the time the majority of the senior management team were openly Rangers supporters but the problem was that only one of them was an editor. When Charles McGhee relaced Mark Douglas Home as Editor he kept things pretty well under control. He had no great love for us but he wasn't a football man so had no agenda other than to maximise readers. He's the one who got rid of Spiers first time around. The problem was (and is) that the Managing Director then (as is the case now) was English, had no feel for the subtleties of what goes on in Scotland and found Lawwell's schmoozing more to his taste than Murray's thinly veiled bullying. So he didn't get what the growing generation of hacks were up to. It was piecemeal erosion in the editorial department but as it became increasingly sympathetic to the SNP (though not yet separatist by the time I left) that (rather than an overwhelming pro Celtic sentiment as most of the leading journalists weren't football people) drove the anti Rangers agenda in the news sections of the paper. But really it was a paper for the Merchant City and Byers Road and we had no place in their vision of Scotland. But at that stage someone like Hegarty wouldn't have got a sniff and others wouldn't have been so blatant on social media.
I think Scottish papers are a beaten docket now but its easy to forget that just a decade ago the big city Scottish papers well outsold their peers in England. But they just speak to a tiny, self obsessed clique now and no one caught onto that when they still could. We're just collateral damage and an easy target to them as those journalists - unlike their predecessors - don't mix among the sort of people who care about football.

I worked there for 6 years in the last decade. At the time the majority of the senior management team were openly Rangers supporters but the problem was that only one of them was an editor. When Charles McGhee relaced Mark Douglas Home as Editor he kept things pretty well under control. He had no great love for us but he wasn't a football man so had no agenda other than to maximise readers. He's the one who got rid of Spiers first time around. The problem was (and is) that the Managing Director then (as is the case now) was English, had no feel for the subtleties of what goes on in Scotland and found Lawwell's schmoozing more to his taste than Murray's thinly veiled bullying. So he didn't get what the growing generation of hacks were up to. It was piecemeal erosion in the editorial department but as it became increasingly sympathetic to the SNP (though not yet separatist by the time I left) that (rather than an overwhelming pro Celtic sentiment as most of the leading journalists weren't football people) drove the anti Rangers agenda in the news sections of the paper. But really it was a paper for the Merchant City and Byers Road and we had no place in their vision of Scotland. But at that stage someone like Hegarty wouldn't have got a sniff and others wouldn't have been so blatant on social media.
I think Scottish papers are a beaten docket now but its easy to forget that just a decade ago the big city Scottish papers well outsold their peers in England. But they just speak to a tiny, self obsessed clique now and no one caught onto that when they still could. We're just collateral damage and an easy target to them as those journalists - unlike their predecessors - don't mix among the sort of people who care about football.
Not the case now ....

"The dreadful Sunday Herald newspaper is in enveloped by more chaos than usual.

"At the centre of the rumpus is hard line separatist supporting editor Neil MacKay, who hasn’t be seen in the office for the past few weeks and who has gone quiet on Twitter since 19th May, adding to conjecture that the quasi official explanation for his absence, a stress related illness, may be a smokescreen.

"Also involved is the paper’s controversial and inexperienced news editor, Angela Haggerty, who is seen as Mackay’s pet protégé."

https://www.followfollow.com/mystery-surrounds-the-sunday-herald/

NB - be careful in your responses to this thread - the paper may be a centre of Rangers-haters - but don't post anything which may be helpful during any appeals process and deflects from the serious issues at hand.
Hard not to post but ok

McAlpine was married to Pat Kane, co-write a book with Sheridan and had a definite agenda she brought to the paper. No wonder it became rank rotten.

Pat Kane’s description of himself on his business card? Intellectual. No, seriously. If you’re that bright, Pat.... about your wife...

No it isn't Sam.

My mate works there and he is every big a Rangers supporter and anti independence as you and I.

Don't be surprised to see a change of tone in the near future from the Sunday Herald.

It can only improve it's stance if it employs recognised journalists, hacks that have learned their craft correctly.

Not those lesser scribes that obtained their qualification from the machine in the university/college foyer - beside the Mars Bar and Sociology Degree dispensers.

It has become so biased in its reporting though, that it's become too late to correct it's skewed gait now. It's stance will remain slanted and it's stature will remain permanently diminished.

Back