New player suggestions?

Heart
Desire
Promise
Sell on ability

That is the very minimum requirements we need from every signing

“Being a Rangers man” or someone who “gets it” should be nowhere near a list or requirements as this thread will no doubt turn into people saying we should sign Oli McBurnie etc

Give me a play who is good enough over someone who supports the club every single time.
How’s that working for us? Beale clearly thought all his signing were good players. We need players who want to play for our Club, who will pull those around them up. They don’t necessarily need to all be the most talented. I’d swap Lafferty for Lammers and McCulloch for Lundstram all day long at this point.

Heart
Desire
Promise
Sell on ability

That is the very minimum requirements we need from every signing

“Being a Rangers man” or someone who “gets it” should be nowhere near a list or requirements as this thread will no doubt turn into people saying we should sign Oli McBurnie etc

Give me a play who is good enough over someone who supports the club every single time.

We need players who know that Rangers identity - not necessarily Scottish Rangers fans but also foreigners who buy into it (Albertz, Novo, Prso, etc) as well as top players who are reliable, dependable and/or game changers.

Look at Gerrard's signings when he took over, McGregor, Arfield, Davis and to a lesser extent Murphy, and Lafferty. Players who love the club, and who gave us our identity back. They were supplemented by the best quality we could afford and attract like Goldson, Defoe, Kamara, and in following years Hagi, Helander, Balogun and Aribo.

Souness did much the same when he took over. He brought in quality players from England and Europe and had guys around the club already who would run through walls for Rangers with additions like Gough, Bomber, Ian Ferguson in following seasons.

Walter after taking over from PLG signed Davie Weir, Kevin Thomson in that window which helped bring back some identity to the team. In the summer there was Broadfoot, McCulloch, Whittaker, Naismith and guys like Cuellar, Beasley and Darcheville from abroad who added quality. The next window was Davis, Dailly and Neil Alexander. He continued it with Lafferty, Miller, Bougherra and Mendes the following summer.

Even with vastly inferior players in 2016 under Warburton we as a Championship side managed to beat them at Hampden with Miller, Halliday, Shiels, Wallace, Holt in our line up. Maybe it was partly them underestimating us or Ronnie Deila failings, but we still had to compete with them.

Tell me any of those guys whose names are in bold, in their prime, wouldn't have improved us or would have let them run right through us on Saturday at the shitpit?

Whether or not any new signing is good enough, there is something extra in the mentality that is needed in the 'blueprint' for success here. Players who possess the utter contempt for them. You just don't get that from 11 'guys who are good enough'. That mentality is what makes them good enough.

Ola Aina, 27 yr old RB for Forest who can also play LB and winger if needed.

Looking like he's a free agent in the summer and some of our Super Eagles can put in a good word lol

I've also liked the look of Che Adams, strong quick handful and a decent finisher. 15 goals for Saints last year in a tough league. Available on a free but obviously wages may be tricky.

Juan Cordoba, Deportivo Cali. Another young Colombian winger to pair with Cortes; plays right and likes cutting in on left foot

Plus it would become infuriating on here having to distinguish between Jose and Juan each time. Meaning it will now definitely happen.

(Spoiler: it won’t happen, it’s just a suggestion)

Ben Johnson
Shankland
Barron
Conway
Watson

We should be all over the Scandinavian market

Not going to happen but I'd love us to get Doig

If we don't sign any championship level, injury prone, journeymen dross that would be a fucking start. Miovski, Miller and maybe the lad from Killie would be only ones from SPFL, wouldn't touch Shankland with a barge pole. Hopefully Koppen can find us the next Kompany and De Bryne from a Belgian team :))

Haven’t read the thread so not sure if mentioned, but Sem Steijn has had an absolutely brilliant season at Twente, one of the best performing midfielders in the league and only 22.

I assumed he would be out of our price range and on the radar of big 4 leagues, but seemingly Blackburn are sniffing around him for 6-7 million. Obviously that’s at the very high end of our budget but he looks the sort of goalscoring midfielder we’ve badly lacked

I liked the look of him during the GvB days. Unfortunately for the lad I don't think he has kicked on as expected but that's mainly down to Aberdeen going through various managers. If McInnes was still there I'd imagine he would have played a lot more football. No surprise when given a run of games he tends to find his feet. Sassuolo were recently linked and another Italian side but can't remember who?

Had a few injuries too.
That should see it done

Ola Solbakken has been punted out on loan from Roma to Urawa Red Diamonds in Japan. Roma would be willing to offload him

He'd been good for at least 15 goals in the SPL I reckon. A winger who would score goals and assist. Was in loan at Olympiacos who had the option to buy for around £3.75 million so would probably be available for round about £3 million now

Hopefully a predominately Scottish contingent.
Enough of all the next to useless guys from around the world,that have no idea what it means to play for the Famous.

We need players who know that Rangers identity - not necessarily Scottish Rangers fans but also foreigners who buy into it (Albertz, Novo, Prso, etc) as well as top players who are reliable, dependable and/or game changers.

Look at Gerrard's signings when he took over, McGregor, Arfield, Davis and to a lesser extent Murphy, and Lafferty. Players who love the club, and who gave us our identity back. They were supplemented by the best quality we could afford and attract like Goldson, Defoe, Kamara, and in following years Hagi, Helander, Balogun and Aribo.

Souness did much the same when he took over. He brought in quality players from England and Europe and had guys around the club already who would run through walls for Rangers with additions like Gough, Bomber, Ian Ferguson in following seasons.

Walter after taking over from PLG signed Davie Weir, Kevin Thomson in that window which helped bring back some identity to the team. In the summer there was Broadfoot, McCulloch, Whittaker, Naismith and guys like Cuellar, Beasley and Darcheville from abroad who added quality. The next window was Davis, Dailly and Neil Alexander. He continued it with Lafferty, Miller, Bougherra and Mendes the following summer.

Even with vastly inferior players in 2016 under Warburton we as a Championship side managed to beat them at Hampden with Miller, Halliday, Shiels, Wallace, Holt in our line up. Maybe it was partly them underestimating us or Ronnie Deila failings, but we still had to compete with them.

Tell me any of those guys whose names are in bold, in their prime, wouldn't have improved us or would have let them run right through us on Saturday at the shitpit?

Whether or not any new signing is good enough, there is something extra in the mentality that is needed in the 'blueprint' for success here. Players who possess the utter contempt for them. You just don't get that from 11 'guys who are good enough'. That mentality is what makes them good enough.
I think it's non-negotiable: We really need to have a number of Scottish players at the core of the team who can constantly set the tone and embody what is expected at Rangers. This needs to be more than the odd guy who can show them around the trophy room and tell them stories about Helicopter Sunday. They don't need to be veterans, but it can't just be the B team boys - I'm talking 4 or 5 established pros, not necessarily the best players in the squad but they have to be guys who feature regularly and contribute.

I don't think we have the luxury of just insisting that we can't get Scottish players who are good enough. We can scout for "winners" from elsewhere, absolutely. But at some point I think the message gets lost if it's a dressing room overwhelmingly dominated by guys from outside this football culture. I don't think we have a choice, I think we need to find the best Scottish players we can get and do what we can to make them better. Scott Wright hasn't worked, but we need to improve our scouting and coaching to target and develop better.

The guys from outside Scotland need to be able to witness this up close - not only from fans, retired legends and others around the club - from their peers they are in the dressing room with and on the training pitch with. They need to hear it in words and see it in actions on and off the pitch, whether that's busting a lung to track a midfield runner or the body language that tells you winning is everything and defeat wholly unacceptable.

I also start to think there's a massive advantage to the captain being Scottish. I don't have to like this notion - and I don't . Our club has obviously had a number of successful non-Scottish captains. But I do wonder if this is where we are in Scotland in 2024. Does McGregor at them get away with some of his antics partly because he's Scottish and refs give him a pass? They can't all be fans of the scum. I'm less wedded to this idea, but I think it's something we have to ask ourselves.

Myovski, McBurnie would be a massive upgrade on what we currently have and I'd rake both in a min. I definitely believe you've got to try and get the best players currently in scottish football(especially scots).
Barron and Miller would be great additions and I'd be happy to take back young Mayo and Armstrong from Killie.
The lad Cochrane and Rowles from Hearts.

McMann and Gogic as out
Centre back pairing is just not worth laughing or joking about
One of the biggest complaints about this Rangers team on Saturday was there was a lack of hunger, heart and desire.

Gogic has that in abundance. He is a proven SPFL defender, and would improve surrounded by our so-called better players. His application and desire might actually inspire those around him.

It is not the worst suggestion for a team sadly lacking fighting qualities.

I’d be delighted if we got Miovski, Watson from Kilmarnock looks to have potential to be a good player for us further down the line.
The young lad Miller at Motherwell is apparently very decent with room to improve.
Outwith that I’d probably be looking abroad.
Why further down the line? If we buy him, and don't play him, he'll regress - not to mention that he might just possibly baulk at the idea of signing for a team who won't play him.

Players like Watson, MiIler etc play against SPFL teams every week, it's why they've come to our attention. If we buy talent, we should play that talent. We aren't good enough to hold players back because of some mythical idea that they aren't Rangers standard.

He’s on a fortune out in Saudi but Jack Hendry is one I’d like us to enquire about, especially with the rumours of Tav and Goldson possibly heading out that way.

I think it's non-negotiable: We really need to have a number of Scottish players at the core of the team who can constantly set the tone and embody what is expected at Rangers. This needs to be more than the odd guy who can show them around the trophy room and tell them stories about Helicopter Sunday. They don't need to be veterans, but it can't just be the B team boys - I'm talking 4 or 5 established pros, not necessarily the best players in the squad but they have to be guys who feature regularly and contribute.

I don't think we have the luxury of just insisting that we can't get Scottish players who are good enough. We can scout for "winners" from elsewhere, absolutely. But at some point I think the message gets lost if it's a dressing room overwhelmingly dominated by guys from outside this football culture. I don't think we have a choice, I think we need to find the best Scottish players we can get and do what we can to make them better. Scott Wright hasn't worked, but we need to improve our scouting and coaching to target and develop better.

The guys from outside Scotland need to be able to witness this up close - not only from fans, retired legends and others around the club - from their peers they are in the dressing room with and on the training pitch with. They need to hear it in words and see it in actions on and off the pitch, whether that's busting a lung to track a midfield runner or the body language that tells you winning is everything and defeat wholly unacceptable.

I also start to think there's a massive advantage to the captain being Scottish. I don't have to like this notion - and I don't . Our club has obviously had a number of successful non-Scottish captains. But I do wonder if this is where we are in Scotland in 2024. Does McGregor at them get away with some of his antics partly because he's Scottish and refs give him a pass? They can't all be fans of the scum. I'm less wedded to this idea, but I think it's something we have to ask ourselves.
McGregor gets away with murder for one reason only - he’s the Celtic captain.

Referees are terrified to show him any colour of card, but red in particular.

We might need to take a hit on some of them. The OOC buys are a no brainer, thats money off the wage bill anyway. I think we’ll get our money back for Lammers so it’s the one’s with a year or so left that will be the problem.

1. Release all OOC players. That’s 6 players off the wage bill.
2. Sell Lammers and Cifuentes for similar to we paid for him - that should be possible!
3. State that Goldson and Tav are up for sale and for free. There’s no way no one out there will come in for them if there is no price tag!
4. Negotiate an early release on Lawrence and Wright. If they are told they won’t even be on the reserves at their age I would expect them to accept.
5. Let the 3 loan players return.
6. Try and see if teams in England may be interested in Davies or Matondo for a couple of £m.
7. Listen to any decent bids for Yilmaz, Raskin, Hagi, Cantwell, Dessers.
8. Last resort sell Butland!

1-4 above are just general housekeeping and clearing the deadwood and even after pay offs will free up around £150k - £200k per week. Whatever our transfer budget is then we use that to replace the players in 1-4 as a priority (four or five quality players should do it). Then depending on what we get for 5-8 we need to use that to reinvest back in the position - ie one out, one in!

Everyone keeps saying “where is the money for a complete new team coming from”. Well we don’t need a complete new team. If we do 1,2,3 and 4 above we could have a team of

Butland
Sterling New New Yilmaz
Diamonde New Cantwell
Matondo Danilo New

McRorie, Souttar, New RB, New LB, Raskin, Dessers, McCausland, New Winger, New Striker

That’s 4 quality new players for the first team, 2 back up full backs (could be loans) and then a striker and a winger who can come off the bench and change a game (again could be loans!). 8 players in and if the quality of the four first team newcomers are good enough then that accounts for the 10 in total that we gut from the team.

OUT:
McLaughlin - doesn’t need replaced.
Balogun - needs replaced.
Lundstram - needs replaced.
Tav - ready made replacement in Sterling.
Goldson - needs replaced.
Jack - doesn’t need replaced.
Roofe - doesn’t need replaced.
Wright - doesn’t need replaced.
Lawrence - doesn’t need replaced.
Lammers - doesn’t need replaced.
Cifuentes - doesn’t need replaced.
Silva - needs replaced.
Sima - needs replaced.
Silva - needs replaced

It’s not as scary when you look at it like that!
I admire your positive take on it mate, but its not just scary for me - the scale of change we need this summer is terrifying!

Even in your starting eleven, Butland is a goner, Ridvan, Cantwell & Matondo are also strong candidates to leave, and neither Danilo or Diomande have set the heather on fire.

I hope Sterling stays, he’s going to be a top player, but interest in him is sure to increase.

IMO Koppen & Clement are going to have to work 24/7 to produce a league winning side from where we are today.

Connor Barron
Lennon Miller
Miovski

From the SPL.

Cortes
Sima
2 centre half’s that can play full
back, preferably 1 x left sided
1 x RB
1 x RW
2 x CM’s.

Offload Cantwell, Lawrence, Davies, Goldson , Tav, Wright, Raskin

Manager mentioned a turnaround at press conference. He’s not daft.
We need younger, fitter, quicker more athletic talent.

I've also liked the look of Che Adams, strong quick handful and a decent finisher. 15 goals for Saints last year in a tough league. Available on a free but obviously wages may be tricky.
On the other hand iirc he's never actually won anything. Money isn't the only motivation, maybe the chance to look back on his career and have that league or cup winners medal might appeal. No guarantees but probably a bit chance with us than with Southampton.

Alzate(OOC),
Amane(Hacken)
Cortes(on loan again),
Sima(if price is right),
Watson or Barron,
Cordoba,
Jefte,
Probably another South American winger we've been linked with,
Popescu(OOC),(Matondo/Wright would probably have to go)
Badly need another no10 but can't think of one liked Spertsyan we were linked with but far too expensive,
Ikwuemesi (Salernitana) relegated but the boy is a physical monster up top who'd destroy the league if given the right service

Then replace some of the players that will be sold if the right offer comes in
Butez(Butland)
Siquet(Tavernier)
Mohamed Camara (Goldson)
Thierno Barry (Dessers)

Reactions: cav
One of the biggest complaints about this Rangers team on Saturday was there was a lack of hunger, heart and desire.

Gogic has that in abundance. He is a proven SPFL defender, and would improve surrounded by our so-called better players. His application and desire might actually inspire those around him.

It is not the worst suggestion for a team sadly lacking fighting qualities.
If Gogics performance v us was his normal and not a one off it would be a no brainer.

I don't care what anyone says, we need a spine of our team with players that get it. They have Hart, McGregor, CCV, Taylor, Forrest and Ralston for example. Who do we have at present, nobody maybe barring Butland.

Players like Barron & Miovski, Shankland, Armstrong & Watson, Lennon Miller for starters would dramatically improve us being proven SPL players.

If Gogics performance v us was his normal and not a one off it would be a no brainer.

He looks a decent player and as you say his performances against us are always dedicated.

Does he play like that all the time? No idea!

Him playing for St Mirren probably suggests that it isnt his normal level otherwise he’d be at a better side?

Miovski.
Armstrong.
Barron.
Watson.

We need guys who are successful in the league. Tried and tested. Young and hungry to succeed, win trophies and play in Europe.

If the above comes with a premium, so be it. I’d also bring in Gogic for CB as he’s be a cheap squad option to replace Balogun. With another 2 CB’s as starters.

We need to be securing the best talent of other teams in the league, it’s what we’ve always done and been successful. We’ve not done this for years, and look how successful it’s been.

To add to this, we need to start loaning players out to other Premiership teams. Especially youth players, they’re never going to make a break through if they don’t play to the level required. If we’re not going to loan the players to other premiership teams we are as well shutting down the academy as it’s a waste of time and stunts their development.

For Scottish based players I’d take:

Cochrane - Cover for LB

Mayo - Solid back up with potential, should never have sold him

Barron - Free transfer and will count towards the home nation

Miovski - Proven goalscorer at this level and can take a penalty

Lennon Miller - Purely for his potential

I agree with spreading our scouting wide now as Benfica,Porto dare I say Them are about to do South America is untapped.Think we have to wait and see spending total we have.Big problem is moving players on Goldson still has 3 years left.Back to subject
Miovski
Mcatee ex Man City ( Huddersfield now I think)
Armstrong
A good look at Low Countries to pick up a gem or 3

Been really bored and a lot of these could be shite.

SPFL targets
CM
David Watson (Kilmarnock) - £2m max?
Connor Barron (Aberdeen) - out of contract but linked with a move to Italy
Lyall Cameron (Dundee) £1m max?

WM
Danny Armstrong (Kilmarnock) - £1m max?

CF
Bojan Miovski (Aberdeen) - they'll want £5m+
Lawrence Shankland (Hearts) - £2m?

Out of contract
FB
Kenny Tete (Fulham) - 28; right-back; has international experience with Holland
Ola Aina (Nottingham Forest) - 27; Nigeria international; similar to Sterling in that he can play both flanks and midfield
Juan Miranda (Betis) - 24; left-back, scored against us in December
Gijs Smal (Twente) - 26; left-back
Gaston Benedetti (Estudiantes) - 23; left-back; contract ends in December

CB
Scott McKenna (Copenhagen, on loan from Nottingham Forest) - 27; Scotland international; left-sided centre back
Merveille Bokadi (Standard Liege) - 27; right-sided centre back
Raul Torrente (Granada) - 22; left-sided centre back
Nicolas Valentini (Boca Juniors) - 23; left-sided centre back; called into the Argentina setup in March but didn't play.

CM
Dani de Wit (AZ) - 26; goal-scoring midfielder
Pape Gueye (Marseille) - 25; defensive midfielder; Senegal international
Julian Baas (Excelsior) - 22; central midfielder
Mady Camara (Olympiacos) - 27; central midfielder; international experience with Guinea; European experience this season and previously with Roma.
Steven Alzate (Standard Liege, on loan from Brighton) - 25; international experience with Colombia; previously linked in January.
Mahamadou Susoho (Man City) - 19; defensive midfielder; definitely one that fits the 'player trading model'.

FW
Che Adams (Southampton) - 27; Scotland international; can play across the front three; likely to be EPL interest (previously Wolves in Jan)
Tyrhys Dolan (Blackburn) - 22; right-footed winger; playing for a struggling team, worth a punt before EPL clubs snap him up.
Christian Kouame (Fiorentina) - 26; right-footed winger; Ivory Coast international
Roger Fernandes (Braga) - 18; left-footed winger; has 7 assists in 14 league appearances for the first team this season. Another that would fit the 'player trading model'.

If we arent going for the likes of Lennon Miller and Barron i think there are serious problems. We need scottish players for the european numbers but also we need to get more scottish boys around the first team.

Ola Solbakken has been punted out on loan from Roma to Urawa Red Diamonds in Japan. Roma would be willing to offload him

He'd been good for at least 15 goals in the SPL I reckon. A winger who would score goals and assist. Was in loan at Olympiacos who had the option to buy for around £3.75 million so would probably be available for round about £3 million now
£3-4m for the Solbakken that was at bodo. Would be a bargain. Would have been the ideal right winger for our system. The Ola Solbakken of the last 2 years....... I'm not so sure. From the moment he joined Roma it's been a disaster. Injuries galore. The loan move to Olympiakos was a failure. Only got 8 games before they chucked him. The loan to Urawa was worse. Only got 1 game due to injuries. We do love an injured player tho. So I'd still maybe take a chance on a loan to buy. The boy has clear talent.

Might be a long shot, but could we get big Sangare on loan from Forest? He is struggling for game time there, which is a surprise. He looked top drawer against us for PSV.

And if we can get Sima then we must sign him. He ticks every box for us, and is not a gamble given we know he can do the business. Very quick, good attitude, works hard defensively, scores goals, good in the air, young with good resale potential, and can play across all front positions. He was on course to score 25 goals this season, from out wide too. If we could get him for £5-7m, and even with a 25% sell on clause, then it would be worth it.

A quick look on transfer market and I’d take:

Smal - LB
McNair - CB / DM
Johnson - RB
Adams - ST

All on free transfers and improves us. Coupled with Scottish based players from my earlier post and thats:

Smal
McNair
Johnson
Adams
Cochrane (If we didnt get Smal)
Mayo
Barron
Miller
Miovski

Makes us much stronger IMO and not a huge outlay. Only 3 players on that list would require a fee. (4 incl. Cochrane)

I agree with spreading our scouting wide now as Benfica,Porto dare I say Them are about to do South America is untapped.Think we have to wait and see spending total we have.Big problem is moving players on Goldson still has 3 years left.Back to subject
Miovski
Mcatee ex Man City ( Huddersfield now I think)
Armstrong
A good look at Low Countries to pick up a gem or 3

Mccatee is on loan at sheff Utd from city for last two seasons, he’s class and would get another prem team/loan

We tried to get both him and palmer on loan

Unsure why this idea rangers need a hard man in the middle of the park is still a thing. Are McGregor, hatate or oreilly hard men? Do they “get it”? No they’re just good technical players.

Back