Nice one Cyriel

Without Dessers we'd have been out of Europe before Christmas, and both cups and be well out of the League by now. He's scored vital goal after vital goal.

He might not be easy on the eye at times and has many haters on here, but without him We'd in big trouble.

Vital goals against Servette and Betis in the Europa.

Both goals in the Semi Vs Hearts in the Scottish Cup.

Vital goal Vs Morton in the League Cup.

In the league we'd have dropped points in numerous games, including today, last time out Vs St Mirren, Ross County at home, Motherwell at home off the top of my head as he's scored vital goals in all of those.

It's been a while since we even had a striker capable of 20 a season domestically.

But we still get people doubling down.

Last edited:
Was very worried when he went off the park holding his leg in the first half thinking no surely not.
He’s growing into a real asset for us, think he will become a great player in the long run.
Has the mentality to do it.

Aye but, he doesnt - insert stupid reason here.

Another winner from him, hes doing his job, we may want more from him but thats 3 goals in the last 2 games.

Just imagine what we could have done if he was able to link the play, hold the ball up and also score the goals

Without Dessers we'd have been out of Europe before Christmas, and both cups early on and well out of the League.

He scores vital goal after vital goal, but we still get people doubling down.
People keep trotting out this he doesn’t score in big games shite, cup semis, he’s scored in Europe, he’s scored in scrappy 1-0 wins for us maybe people should look at the rest of the forward line first.

He's certainly an enigma, he's scored goals that are worthy of top strikers but proceeds to outshine Van vossen. Better players up top and he'd score a lot more ( and miss a lot )

He is a very good back up striker and I'd keep him next season but he isn't the main man.

He has missed the most big chances in the league and barely links up play.

If he was more aggressive he would be a much better player imo.

If he had players behind him that offered more he'd be a lot better.

We don't create enough chances, today was the same.
That's definitely a factor aswell.

Counter argument though is its hard to create if the ball won't stick up top to allow us to move forward quickly.

Without Dessers we'd have been out of Europe before Christmas, and both cups and be well out of the League by now. He's scored vital goal after vital goal.
This supposes a vaccuum with us not playing with another player in his position. The problem with Dessers (for the umpteenth time) is his missing. And that has cost us when things have been tight.

The boys no Mark Hateley but he's giving us numbers , may it continue for the rest of thecseason
The biggest issue with football fans these days I reckon. Just obsess over numbers but with no real context. Numbers could tell you Kris Boyd was a better striker than Mark Hateley.

FWIW I don’t think Dessers is as bad as many make out. But I also think there’s plenty of strikers we could have had for far less money who’d have given us at least what hes given us and probably more.

The biggest issue with football fans these days I reckon. Just obsess over numbers but with no real context. Numbers could tell you Kris Boyd was a better striker than Mark Hateley.

FWIW I don’t think Dessers is as bad as many make out. But I also think there’s plenty of strikers we could have had for far less money who’d have given us at least what hes given us and probably more.
What strikers could we have got for cheaper that would score 20+ goals and probably more?

What strikers could we have got for cheaper that would score 20+ goals and probably more?
Miovski would score more goals for Rangers than Dessers and wouldn’t having the slew of costly misses he’s had either. I’ll confess I don’t remember how much the sheep paid for him, but I’m confident it wasn’t £4m +

There are scores of players out there better than him for the same money. Surely even the most delusional/glass half full supporter wouldn’t suggest he’s the best we could have done for
£4.5m…..

He might not be easy on the eye at times and has many haters on here, but without him We'd in big trouble.

In the league we'd have dropped points in numerous games, including today, last time out Vs St Mirren, Ross County at home, Motherwell at home off the top of my head as he's scored vital goals in all of those.

Completely agree with you.

Miovski would score more goals for Rangers than Dessers and wouldn’t having the slew of costly misses he’s had either. I’ll confess I don’t remember how much the sheep paid for him, but I’m confident it wasn’t £4m +

There are scores of players out there better than him for the same money. Surely even the most delusional/glass half full supporter wouldn’t suggest he’s the best we could have done for
£4.5m…..
We won't get miovski for far less than we paid for dessers so a poor suggestion and you don't know for certain he'd score more.

Any others?

Don't disagree , but what I am saying is that I don't think spending £4 million upwards for Lawrence Shankland in January would have left us better off.

Reactions: WLF
If he had decent ammo supplied by the two wide forwards and the centre of midfield then any short comings in his game wouldn’t be highlighted.

If we had another fit no 9 to take the pressure off him, that would be massive as well.

The way we play when the other forwards aren’t creating does him no favours because he isn’t physical and he isn’t great back to goal.

He’s done very well in trying circumstances.

I’m one of his biggest critics but without his goals we’d be struggling this season. Our top goalscorer stats make for grim reading when you take Dessers out the equation.

Tav at the top with a figure that includes 15 penalties. No one even remotely close to Sima in 3rd who’s been out the vast majority of this year. Danilo and Matondo tying with Cantwell in 4th with 6, despite Danilo being out since December and Matondo only having started 9 games.
It just shows you how little the likes of Silva, McCausland, Roofe, Wright offer this team.

If we improve the players playing alongside and behind Dessers in the summer I think we’ll see an improvement in Dessers next year.

He’s managed to deliver more than most this season and that’s with him playing alongside dross like Wright and Silva.

We won't get miovski for far less than we paid for dessers so a poor suggestion and you don't know for certain he'd score more.

Any others?
Yeah we won’t now, we could have had him before Aberdeen did if our recruitment was better, so I fail to see how that’s a poor suggestion? He’s literal proof that there are better strikers available for far less money if you do your homework. Morelos was also a better player and cost £1m.

“You don’t know for certain”. It’s a high probability though isn’t it? I mean let’s use a bit of common sense here, he plays for a rank rotten Aberdeen side and has shown himself to be the type of player who only needs one chance to score, and that includes scoring against the strongest sides in the league. Dessers on the other hand has shown himself to be the opposite of that in that he needs multiple opportunties to score. And that’s already bitten us on the arse this season.

Why dont you tell us what makes you confident that Dessers is the best we could have done for what was a substantial outlay. 4.5 million bangers, that’s a lot of money.

Whisper it, but I'd be keen to see how he does when we have consistent and proven wingers giving him better delivery.

If we get a great offer for him, then probably best to leave it at that, but no guarantees that we sign better. Would love a proven number 9 with Dessers as backup, but the team needs shored up everywhere.

The problem with our goal scoring isn't Dessers, it's that other than him we have no one else in attack who's able to score on a consistent basis. We need more goals from the left and right side of our frontline

Absolutely correct. He's not pretty to watch and if we're honest, not the main no.9 we'd want. But his numbers are very good, a lot of important goals too, not just the third or fourth in an easy win. Of course we'd like better but big Cyriel is the least of our attacking problems.

Without Sima, we get nothing from our wide players and just don't have enough goal threat. I'd consider playing two strikers for the remaining games to try and give teams a different problem.

We’re all correct to have reservations about Dessers, but his mentality is spot on, and he can look himself in the mirror knowing he’s contributed to the team this season.

Many more than Dessers have let us down, and it’s those players who have cost us.

Some folk just can’t let it go and give him any credit, as they are too stubborn.

I can’t really remember another Rangers striker like him. 20 goals for the season yet hardly anyone wants him as our main man.

Some of the abuse he takes is way over the top, yet he just keeps shrugging it off and scoring goals.
Colak had a really solid scoring ratio too but people weren’t exactly gutted to see him go.

We’re all correct to have reservations about Dessers, but his mentality is spot on, and he can look himself in the mirror knowing he’s contributed to the team this season.

Many more than Dessers have let us down, and it’s those players who have cost us.

Some folk just can’t let it go and give him any credit, as they are too stubborn.
Very well said mate.

Back