Nice one Cyriel

During the commentary today, it was stated that the last season in which 2 players have scored 20 goals before this one was 2015-16. During his last 3 seasons with us Morelos never got to 20 goals. Danilo was showing himself to be a capable striker before injury and Dessers has now reached 20 goals. Why would you say "god help us"?

He showed nothing of the sort.

And if Dessers is here next season then we are f/cked.

He's done well to turn it round after his rocky start.

But ultimately don't think he's good enough for us. He's so frustrating and even though 20 goals is massive he should be on closer to double that.

However if he can get someone to work with him on his finishing and next season come out more clinical, he'd be absolutely lethal.

He showed nothing of the sort.

And if Dessers is here next season then we are f/cked.
Danilo scored 4 goals in 12 league games under Beale. Dessers has scored 20 goals this season while having a slow start when recovering from injury under Beale. They may not be world beaters because they wouldn't be in Scotland if they were but they are both very capable strikers.

A striker playing for us or them will ultimately be judged on old firm goals whether that’s fair or not.

Kyogo has been the match winner against us twice this season Dessers really needs to show something similar in the final two games against them.

A £6m striker should be scoring goals in such a poor league Dessers will probably be judged by what happens over the next month or so.

We already have another striker, Danilo, who hasn't been available throughout the bulk of the season. I expect Danilo and Dessers to be the main strikers next season as we need to improve other areas of the team and have already committed several million towards Diomande.
Roofe will need replaced.

Danilo scored 4 goals in 12 league games under Beale. Dessers has scored 20 goals this season while having a slow start when recovering from injury under Beale. They may not be world beaters because they wouldn't be in Scotland if they were but they are both very capable strikers.

4 in 12 isn’t exactly settling the heather on fire.

And Dessers should never have been signed, even more so because he was recovering from injury. I couldn’t believe my eyes watching him trying to move in the opening game away to Kilmarnock.

I'd keep him next year, he's got 20 goals with utter dross either side of him for the majority of the season. Get a couple of decent left and right sided forwards to support him and see how he goes.

Aye, he misses a lot of chances, but his movement is superb to get into the positions. If he scored the 20 he has already plus all the ones he misses, he wouldn't be here.

4 in 12 isn’t exactly settling the heather on fire.

And Dessers should never have been signed, even more so because he was recovering from injury. I couldn’t believe my eyes watching him trying to move in the opening game away to Kilmarnock.
1 in 3 is decent but I'd agree not setting the heather on fire. However, the entire team was playing rubbish under Beale. If he wasn't injured then I like to think he would have been better under Clement.

Regarding Dessers, whether or not he should have been signed is not relevant. He was signed and he is our player. Unless you have a Tardis you can't change that. However, he has contributed significantly to the team since Beale was kicked out.

Aside from twenty goals which is decent by most standards, the most important stat is the 49 games he’s played in. He’s been available for almost every game. Given the number of players that have played in barely half or less of our games, that’s important. There’s a lot of players ahead of Dessers if we want to discuss lack of contribution to the team.

20 goals for a rangers striker isn’t an achievement btw. Wish folk would stop going on like it is

Just because Morelos struggled to do it, doesn’t make it impressive

God, our standards really have slipped.
I think you’ll find in the past 20/30 years 20 goals for a rangers striker is an achievement considering the amount we’ve had that haven’t managed that. Although that doesn’t suit the narrative I suppose. Is Dessers a fantastic technical player. No. Has he got 28 goals and assists combined. Yes. Has any other attacking players got close to that this season. No. The problem isn’t Dessers, the problem is players not contributing nearly enough in terms of goals and assists that any time he does miss it could be costly. If only FF’s golden boy Cantwell could actually score a few and get a fair few assists with our wide men contributing no one would want this mythical striker who never misses a single shot so badly.

This place is so bipolar.

Thread up a few weeks ago after county and he’d missed a sitter that he’s awful, scores an open goal and he’s brilliant. Been a repeat all season.

Be another thread up before the end of the season when he’s anonymous against Celtic.

Be delighted when he goes in the summer.
It’s not bipolar mate. The posters who hated him still hate him (and by the way, they don’t want to be proved wrong). The posters who were ready to let him bed in only to find him in a shitty situation, but who stood by him, have just “goat thur heed in the saun”. Liking Dessers is not popular.

I’m one of the former and take shit for it. Bigging up our players is a very limited thing. Slaying them, is normal fair.

I think you’ll find in the past 20/30 years 20 goals for a rangers striker is an achievement considering the amount we’ve had that haven’t managed that. Although that doesn’t suit the narrative I suppose. Is Dessers a fantastic technical player. No. Has he got 28 goals and assists combined. Yes. Has any other attacking players got close to that this season. No. The problem isn’t Dessers, the problem is players not contributing nearly enough in terms of goals and assists that any time he does miss it could be costly. If only FF’s golden boy Cantwell could actually score a few and get a fair few assists with our wide men contributing no one would want this mythical striker who never misses a single shot so badly.
Made some good points there in relation to the lack of goals from the whole squad.
I've never seen a forward duck out of so many challenges as Dessers. He makes ordinary centre half's look good. Given that, i think opponents settle in and play their own game.

I doubt that any of our opponents think there's a single Rangers player to be watched. I guess from what you see/hear in the media, that other teams identify 'threats' like Kyogo, McGregor , Miovski etc

It's both.

He's done well to turn it round after his rocky start.

But ultimately don't think he's good enough for us. He's so frustrating and even though 20 goals is massive he should be on closer to double that.

However if he can get someone to work with him on his finishing and next season come out more clinical, he'd be absolutely lethal.
If he was more clinical dare I say it he'd be playing at a much higher level.
Most strikers even the best miss chances you'd expect them to score.
End of the day he's there time after time to either score or miss chances, grafts his arse off and has actually scored some critical goals for us to keep us in this title race.

Made some good points there in relation to the lack of goals from the whole squad.
I've never seen a forward duck out of so many challenges as Dessers. He makes ordinary centre half's look good. Given that, i think opponents settle in and play their own game.

I doubt that any of our opponents think there's a single Rangers player to be watched. I guess from what you see/hear in the media, that other teams identify 'threats' like Kyogo, McGregor , Miovski etc
I don’t disagree with that. I think Dessers could absolutely do better when pressing, I’m just fed up with the hysteria that our only fit striker this season has missed chances when played when he first came not fully fit after injury, had to play when shot of confidence and no form, and still has 28 goal contributions. The squad has major issues, Cyriel Dessers is only an issue as he is the only option we have had all season

Ronald de Boer summed him up perfectly after we signed him. On form, he's excellent. Off form, he's brutal to watch. He doesn't seem to go on a run of games where he's one or the other, it can quite often vary game by game, and even half by half with him. Such a frustrating player.

It has to be said, that he hasn't been helped by his fellow strikers this season, he's been a one-man band in that regard. Danilo's injuries, Roofe being the invisible man again and Silva ending up having to play out wide, has meant Dessers has carried the bulk of the goal scoring burden in that area of the pitch by himself. It's pretty clear he's not consistent enough for that.

Looking at his stint at Feyenoord, he wasn't the sole source of goals in that side, they had plenty of goals spread throughout the team. I'd imagine if our goals had been spread out much better among the team, then the view of Dessers might differ. It's the fact, since the injuries to Sima and Danilo, it's only been Tav and Dessers who have got goals for us. A damning indictment on our squad, our goal getting ability from wide areas and the midfield has been genuinely diabolical overall.

A striker playing for us or them will ultimately be judged on old firm goals whether that’s fair or not.

Kyogo has been the match winner against us twice this season Dessers really needs to show something similar in the final two games against them.

A £6m striker should be scoring goals in such a poor league Dessers will probably be judged by what happens over the next month or so.
Match winner due to VAR wrongly disallowing Rangers goals

It has to be said, that he hasn't been helped by his fellow strikers this season, he's been a one-man band in that regard. .

Yup, and being judged as such. People refer to him as not good enough to be 'Rangers' number 9' when he wasn't signed to just be that. He was signed to share that burden with Lammers, Roofe and Danilo. Unfortunately due to injures and the likes he's been left being the 'main man' for over half the season.

The criticism of him is way over the top but again, unfortunately for him, there's literally no one to share that criticism with in a sense as he is our only striker.

Determined not to get sucked into any negativity on what was a good weekend for Dessers individually.

For the purposes of discussion alone, as always, context is king.

His 20 goals have came at a time when we have rescued a season from the jaws of disaster, and been on a pretty incomparable run up until recent games. Through that time he has, for a multitude of reasons had a claim on the CF position unlike almost anyone else in a Rangers shirt. We have absolutely battered teams, and he has missed multiple chances per games. When the big moments in big games come around, he has come up short every single time. Our form of late has been poor, and his leading of the line has been beyond suspect.

20 goals is 20 goals. However, It's only a fraction of the story. Celtic have been there for the taking, both in actual games against them and in their poor results elsewhere - as the leading striker, his less than clinical decision making has cost us these opportunities. I also believe our midfield tries to play past him rather than to him, and often leads us into a situation where teams can get in behind us on the counter.

As far as outfield players go, I believe CH, CM & CH are the 'first-among-equals' positions of any team - they set the tone. Rangers have struggled because that spine is effectively the unsettled Goldson, the inconsistent Lundstram and the enigmatic Dessers.

That's why, after an intially wonderful renaissance under a new manager, we are stumbling from narrow win to disappointing draw at the business end of the season.

Anyone who thinks Dessers, at 29, should have a long term future as part of a dominant Rangers side should probably save themselves the time, money and heartache of the coming seasons with him at the spearhead of attack.

If he was more clinical dare I say it he'd be playing at a much higher level.
Most strikers even the best miss chances you'd expect them to score.
End of the day he's there time after time to either score or miss chances, grafts his arse off and has actually scored some critical goals for us to keep us in this title race.
And I get that.

I think it's just worse because half the goals he misses are ones my Granny could score. Ironically, if he scored the ones he missed and misses the ones he's scored he probably wouldn't be as frustrating... :))

Alfie was frustrating for missing easy goals but dessers is magnified in that regard.

And I get that.

I think it's just worse because half the goals he misses are ones my Granny could score. Ironically, if he scored the ones he missed and misses the ones he's scored he probably wouldn't be as frustrating... :))

Alfie was frustrating for missing easy goals but dessers is magnified in that regard.
You should see some of the chances Haaland has missed for City this season. And last actually. And he's regarded as one of the very best in the world.
Think you have to take the rough with the smooth where Dessers is concerned tbh but he's contributing enough to be worth keeping around for next season at least as a backup to whoever might be a better option as first choice striker.

You should see some of the chances Haaland has missed for City this season. And last actually. And he's regarded as one of the very best in the world.
Think you have to take the rough with the smooth where Dessers is concerned tbh but he's contributing enough to be worth keeping around for next season at least as a backup to whoever might be a better option as first choice striker.
I think getting rid of him completely would be a risky move.

He scores too many goals to just get rid of without a ready replacement.

I'd keep him as a backup with a view to bringing in someone better, but younger. Allows us to rotate and also plans for the future.

No rush to sell him when we have players like roofe who need to go.

Goal is at 1:40

Notice the jersey pull by the defender on big Cyriel, and he gets a wee pat on the head in return from the big man B-)

Would definitely keep him for next season.

Would rather bring in a new number 9 m, but he'd be an excellent squad player. His attitude is spot on.

FF: we need a striker who scores 20+ a season

Also FF: not that one cause he misses some chances too

Bonus Also FF: "he should be scoring 2 or 3 goals a game" (actually said on here on Sunday)

Dessers isn't a 6m striker though

If he took the penalties he'd be on 30 goals. 20 goals, mostly from open play (1 penalty) is as good a return we've had from any striker in a long, long time apart from peak Morelos.

Kenny Miller more than shattered the myth that an SPL striker can only score goals OR have a good all round game, not both.

We need far better than Dessers.

Back