Northern Ireland v England 1975.

Crowd chanting "Ireland" and singing "you'll never walk alone."
I think the England team got a great reception that day for coming to Belfast when others wouldn't.

Crowd chanting "Ireland" and singing "you'll never walk alone."
I think the England team got a great reception that day for coming to Belfast when others wouldn't.
England hadn't been since '71 due to the troubles. The game in '73 was played at Goodison.

FBS

It's interesting that the commentator referred to the vast Irish crowd.

It's a shame 30 years of sectarian republican violence alienated the majority of the PUL community from any sense of Irishness.

It's a shame 30 years of sectarian republican violence alienated the majority of the PUL community from any sense of Irishness.
Traditionally the IFA team was called Ireland even after Partition. Also - the traditional colour of the shirt was St Patrick's blue until they got into a competent with the FAI over who was most Irish :p

Traditionally the IFA team was called Ireland even after Partition. Also - the traditional colour of the shirt was St Patrick's blue until they got into a competent with the FAI over who was most Irish :p

My old man's maternal granda was an Ulsterman and my da was with him at Windsor Park when Scotland played there in the late 40s/early 50s.

His granda (my great granda obviously) had on his green and white scarf and a wee pissed Scottish fan saw his scarf and called him a papish b@stard.

My great granda replied to him, with words to the effect, I'm more of an Orangeman than you'll ever be.

I'm pretty sure there would have been a few expletives added in the dialogue.

Remember a game in Belfast in the 70's v Scotland when it was chocca and I think it was mcgrain, got absolutely pelters the whole game.

I thought that I recalled from this Northern Ireland v England in 1975 that there was a chant from the Northern Ireland fans"
(Kevin) "Keegan wants his mammy, Keegan wants his mammy, Keegan wants his mammy" everytime he was on the ball.

I think it was because he was perceived as a 'bottler' and always in a huff. I did a search on it and discovered it may also have been chanted at Hampden, Scotland v England or probably started out there.

From 'We Are Perth Forum',
Keegan wants his mammy, keegan wants his mammy, keegan wants his mammy.

A famous chant at a Scotland e*** and game at Hampden after going in the huff AGAIN..

The whole Rangers end and probably the north enclosure too, 50k all singing it, quality.'

The next game I remember attending at Windsor Park was Northern Ireland v Yugoslavia in 1976. NI won 1 v 0 with a Bryan Hamilton goal. Yugoslavia got a fantastic reception as they were the first 'European' country to play NI at Windsor during 'The Troubles' for 5 years.

Ditto Scotland but without the violence.

Derek Spence taking the knee!!!! Could Spency see into the future? Him and Jimmy Nic were roommate's on international duty and Jimmy rarely got sleep as Derek was always up to something. The Blonde Bombshell probably best remembered for scoring the equaliser against Holland in a 2-2 in 1976. He never forgave Billy Bingham for leaving him out of the Spain 82 squad as his place went to Bobby Campbell who never kicked a ball.

I was in the Spion Kop that day v England. Got my wee head roasted! And also at the Yugoslavia game mentioned on post 11, squeezed in under what was the Windsor Park Viewing Lounge at the Railway End. Those days with the home internationals were fantastic.

Last edited:
Back