On this day 2008 - Fiorentina (H)

We were brutal to watch in Europe back then.

We've been spoiled the last 6 years
I wouldn't say that. The Stuttgart game, with Hutton's bursting run ending in a peach of a Charlie Adam goal, was a brilliant game. As was the 3-0 away to Lyon - a perfect display of defend and counterattack. Even the Barca draw had brilliant tension and atmosphere.

The problem we had back then was lack of consistency, meaning we never went into these games with any confidence of getting a result. Which made for nervy atmospheres, rather than the buoyant atmospheres like we had on the run to Seville.

I wouldn't say that. The Stuttgart game, with Hutton's bursting run ending in a peach of a Charlie Adam goal, was a brilliant game. As was the 3-0 away to Lyon - a perfect display of defend and counterattack. Even the Barca draw had brilliant tension and atmosphere.

The problem we had back then was lack of consistency, meaning we never went into these games with any confidence of getting a result. Which made for nervy atmospheres, rather than the buoyant atmospheres like we had on the run to Seville.
I grew up in the 90's and anything after the 93 CL campaign was a slog. Just my opinion mate but I did not enjoy most of our European games up till 6 years ago, despite us having a wildly successful domestic team back then.

This, Panathinaokos and Sporting Lisbon were already really poor atmosphere wise. All those games were a little underwhelming as we felt we needed a win to defend in the away game.

What a great achievement but the 2021/2022 was way better - we were going toe to toe with some decent teams and putting them to the sword at Ibrox rather than just parking the bus.

This, Panathinaokos and Sporting Lisbon were already really poor atmosphere wise. All those games were a little underwhelming as we felt we needed a win to defend in the away game.

What a great achievement but the 2021/2022 was way better - we were going toe to toe with some decent teams and putting them to the sword at Ibrox rather than just parking the bus.
Agreed. If we had beaten Sporting at home and Fiorentina on penalties at Ibrox it would have been amazing. As it was most of us were watching both in the pub. Leipzig happened at Ibrox, it was a different experience, and best night we have probably had in decades.

The 3-2 defeat to the beggars was the rescheduled game from when they got the game postponed due to Phil o Donnells death I’m sure?
They were ravaged by injuries and suspensions
at the original match date and used O’ Donnells death as an excuse for postponement.
Memory may be sketchy but they had no right back available and McGeady injured. They unveiled Hinkel on the day of O’Donnell’s funeral. We had Hutton in the form of his life originally but sold by the time it was rearranged.

The 3-2 defeat to the beggars was the rescheduled game from when they got the game postponed due to Phil o Donnells death I’m sure?
They were ravaged by injuries and suspensions
at the original match date and used O’ Donnells death as an excuse for postponement.
it was the 2-1 defeat - was originally rescheduled for 23rd Janaury but got postponed again due to us having to play East Sitirling in the Scottish Cup which had been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch

3-2 one was the post spilt game

Memory may be sketchy but they had no right back available and McGeady injured. They unveiled Hinkel on the day of O’Donnell’s funeral. We had Hutton in the form of his life originally but sold by the time it was rearranged.
Correct with them

Hutton would been available had the rearranged game taken place on 23rd Janaury but I posted it postponed again as we had to play East Stirling in the Scottish Cup - Hutton scored in that game

Last edited:
We played 8 games in 24 days or something crazy like that.

All I remember from the game is the winning penalty and Cuellar clearing the ball out of defence about once a minute for (what felt like) the entire game!

I was 16 just turning 17 and love reminiscing about that run.

Out of all the games funnily enough without being a semi final, this is the game I remember least.

Love a beautiful sunny evening at Ibrox on a European night.

Back