One of the most iconic moments in Australian sport - the Anzac Day ceremony, in front of 95,000 fans at the MCG

A country still clearly grateful for the sacrifice made by their war dead. Who'd have thought it eh?

Imagine that level of respect being observed at Hampden these days. Not a chance of it.

It actually says more about us as a society for letting the whole anti British sentiment in this country go unopposed.

Anzac day is a massive deal. Public holiday, every town has a public ceremony, usually 2, which are always very well attended by young and old. Hundreds gather at dawn in every town to mark it and there's often a second ceremony later in the day for those who can't attend at dawn. Many young Australians still make a pilgrimage to Gallipoli to attend the dawn ceremony on Anzac day. It's incredible how highly regarded it still is.

I was privileged to attend the ANZAC day memorial and parade in Sydney. My nephew is a member of the RAN and was up to attend the Dawn Service before the parade which is something to be seen.

I’m in Queensland just now. It’s a full business closure on ANZAC day, with some venues remaining open only to host ANZAC events. Extremely busy with the public, servicemen and servicewomen in uniform, amongst veterans and all their families. The ceremonies/services at dawn also very well attended by all ages groups.
Its a major day in the calendar here.

Lots of folk outside Australia and New Zealand think of ANZAC day as just being about the disasterous Gallipoli campaign.

In fact the greatest losses for the ANZACS were on the western front where the casualties were over Ten times of that suffered against Turkey.

I was privileged to attend the ANZAC day memorial and parade in Sydney. My nephew is a member of the RAN and was up to attend the Dawn Service before the parade which is something to be seen.
It’s an unbelievable show of respect en masse. My father in law marches in Sydney every year. He said this year was bigger than he ever saw before. Even in Canberra there were 32,000 people at the dawn service.

This video shows some footage of the Sydney parade. The pipes playing Waltzing Matilda is always amazing.

Always find it interesting that if you are at Murrayfield around November 11th remembrance Sunday, the minute silence is observed perfectly, absolutely perfectly.
Switch sports to Scottish football and it’s a circus unless it’s at Ibrox or Tynecastle…
Hard to fathom, I assume there are many in the football audience who are also in the rugby crowds, they think it’s fair game to abuse the minute silence in football but know not to in rugby.

A big day over here in NZ and always accorded major respect from the general public. This year however there were protests from the free Palestine mob where they dumped red dye into prominent water fountains in cities throughout the country.

A bunch of c@nts.

Lots of folk outside Australia and New Zealand think of ANZAC day as just being about the disasterous Gallipoli campaign.

In fact the greatest losses for the ANZACS were on the western front where the casualties were over Ten times of that suffered against Turkey.
Add the fact that it was an Australian general [Monash] who was largely credited with much of the tactical changes and innovations which led to victory in 1918.

A big day over here in NZ and always accorded major respect from the general public. This year however there were protests from the free Palestine mob where they dumped red dye into prominent water fountains in cities throughout the country.

A bunch of c@nts.
What was the reaction to that like?

ANZAC day is a day of respect, and one that is taken very, very seriously by the Australian public and media.

The game itself was an absolute belter.

Back