Our best number 11

Davie Cooper for me, he played for the club he loved. Saying that, in an ideal best ever Rangers XI the two of them would be guaranteed starters for me.

Did Davie Cooper not sometimes play as number 7?

Bit before my time but im sure ive seen footage of him wearing the 7 on occassion rather than always 11

If this is correct then easy decision to make can fit them both in the team!

Lucky to have seen both Davie Cooper and Brian Laudrup,it will come as no suprise that I think Laudrup was better but it’s very close

Bit before my time but im sure ive seen footage of him wearing the 7 on occassion rather than always 11

He did wear 7 in his earlier games but he played the vast majority as number 11.

Cooper was excellent with a brilliant left foot but could be inconsistent.

Laudrup was quicker and tended to be more consistent though wasn't here for all that long.

For consistent brilliance in domestic games Laudrup wins though he did play in a better team.

Coop wins for being there a good while and delivering a lot of the time, when on his game virtually unstoppable even at times in poorish teams.

Laudrup shades it.

I would think the answer to the thread title is Alan Morton.

As for the question in the OP, I worshipped both. If a gun to my head I would pick Laudrup, but I insist on bringing Cooper on for the last half hour!

Very tough question, but I'd have to go for Brian Laudrup, who played in very good Rangers sides.
Davie Cooper spent the majority of his time at Rangers playing in very poor Rangers sides

My biggest regret about being a Rangers fan will always be not having the privilege of seeing Davie Cooper live. So anytime I’m asked who the best player I’ve ever seen wear the jersey I always say Brian Laudrup. So this is directed to anyone who was lucky enough to see them both- if you had to pick 1 who would it be, Super Cooper or Godrup?
Davie Wilson old bugger loyal

Think there were differences in their play. Cooper was slow. Laudrup was fast. Cooper was phenomenally one footed. Laudrup was better with his off foot than most are with their dominant one. Laudrup could play in all forward positions. Cooper was relatively limited to left wing.

But.

Laudrup was called God. Coop’s left boot actually was supernatural and omnipotent. Not even Laudrup could do the things that Coop did with ball at feet. The Drybrough Cup goal has to be one of the greatest individual goals ever scored. Even in his later days, playing against us for Motherwell, you’d see this relatively unfit looking bloke just walking past our defenders with the ball glued to his feet and they couldn’t touch him, in spite of the gulf in athleticism.

I’d rather have Laudrup on my team. But I believe Coop’s skill was peerless.
Was it you who had Jardine as a left back?
Now you’re telling us that Cooper couldn’t play, for example, on the right?
Also, ask Motherwell supporters where he was a stand out for them.

I know people are saying Laudrup played in great Rangers sides, but in all honesty, I remember him carrying us in that 9IAR season

I half expected this as well!
However, to be fair, outwith the two the op asked about, the others mentioned have been a bit special.
Morton, Johnston and Wilson?
Would be some poll.

Some historians reckon our number 11 of the late 19th and early 20th century, the great Alec Smith, was the first true Rangers superstar and deserves to be mentioned right up there with the best.
And other 11s who could be in the poll are Johnny Hubbard and Mark Walters, both had amazing scoring records as well as great wingers.

Number 11 is the iconic shirt number over the course of our history.

Cooper was the greatest
Laudrup was magnificent also
Cooper was not blessed with the pace or athleticism of the Great Dane but he didn’t have to be
He had a left foot that could weave sheer magic
For all the great goals that Laudrup scored and there were many, Cooper matched them all
His goal in the Dryborough cup final was sheer genius.
The free kick against the sheep was power and accuracy personified
His run against Ilves Tampere for Flecks goal was football from the gods
The wizardry of his dribbling and pass against the filth that put Durrant through to score at Ibrox left Roy Aitken in tatters
I could go on and on

Laudrup is the best player we’ve had at our club.

The question in itself isn’t even close.

Never saw cooper in the flesh so I have to laudrup he is the guy that made me fall in love with the football. I wanted to be like him played the game it's supposed to be played taking players on getting fans off their feet you almost expected him to create something everytime he got the ball

Henderson will be the number 7 before Coop mate.

Slightly off topic. But I wonder how Mark Walters would be regarded amongst our great wingers if he hadn't been unlucky enough to have been right after one God given genius and not long before another one.

Yes, he did.
Very competent he was there too.

Was it you who had Jardine as a left back?
Now you’re telling us that Cooper couldn’t play, for example, on the right?
Also, ask Motherwell supporters where he was a stand out for them.

Yep it was. I apologised for that cock up. I said that Cooper was relatively limited in position compared to Laudrup. I only ever recall seeing him on the left for Motherwell but I only saw his games against us

Such a difficult question.
I’ll look here to another footballing superstar for guidance.
If Rudd Gullit can pick Cooper over Zidane and Ronaldinho, I can pick him over Brian Laudrup.
I was born in 85 so to me Brian Laudrup was the best player I’ve seen play for Rangers, better than Gazza.
My old uncle who followed the gers before the war told me that Laudrup was the best player he has ever seen so that does it for me.
In saying that I would have loved to have seen Cooper in his prime, my old man told me that he was the only shining light through some dark days.

What an honour it is that both Cooper and Laudrup have pulled on that famous blue jersey

The magnificent number 11

Seen them both for their entire Rangers careers. Laudrup for me and don't even have to think about it.

My Grandfather was born in 1939 so in better position than myself to answer.

His exact words "anyone who asked that never saw them both play.... Laudrup was arguably best player in Europe... Cooper didnt even start every week under Greig and Wallace"... he rates Laudrup in our top 5 ever at very least.

Yep it was. I apologised for that cock up. I said that Cooper was relatively limited in position compared to Laudrup. I only ever recall seeing him on the left for Motherwell but I only saw his games against us
Yes, I know you apologised, bud.
Cooper was superb on the right.
Normal thought process is to show the winger inside, into the traffic.
Doing this with Cooper meant showing him to his strong side, often with devastating results.
I’m sure he played on the right in at least one of the games for Clydebank where he sold himself to Rangers.
For Motherwell, he was often an early version of a number ten.
A role in which he’d be outstanding in today, imo.

I was born in 85 so to me Brian Laudrup was the best player I’ve seen play for Rangers, better than Gazza.
My old uncle who followed the gers before the war told me that Laudrup was the best player he has ever seen so that does it for me.
In saying that I would have loved to have seen Cooper in his prime, my old man told me that he was the only shining light through some dark days.
You’re dad would be correct.
Stopped Cooper being a superstar.

Scored v England at Hampden to end 25 year drought , played left back at Wembley for 85 minuets the following year in famous Scottish victory . Scored 6 goals in one game for Rangers at Brockville all be it as a centre forward , scored many important goals v the Yahoos a few with his head . Returned after a broken leg to play an important part in the King Kai final .
Maybe not the best but must up among all the others . Wee Davie Wilson will do for me

I moved to the USA many years ago so, sadly, the only times I've seen Cooper and Laudrup is on video.

I did however often see Davie Wilson and Willie (Bud) Johnston in the flesh. Both were great players, and big characters. Bud was the fastest I have ever seen over 20 yards. He made wee Willie look slow!

All in all I'll sit on the fence with this one, and just consider myself lucky to have watched so many great Rangers wingers all these years.

Back