Our Gaffer And Surprise Inclusions

E10H

Article from Ibrox Noise and a reasonable read.

As has now become a new Steven Gerrard tradition, there was yet another shock in store for Rangers fans yesterday on seeing the starting XI announced from club channels.

As we’ve discussed on Ibrox Noise, Stevie has a new tendency to make a shock selection almost every domestic match going all the way back to Jordan Rossiter’s stunning return at Hamilton in October.

After him it was Sadiq at Hampden v Aberdeen, Foderingham v Killie, Grezda v St Mirren and Middleton v Motherwell before yesterday’s shock news went the other way and saw Alfredo Morelos benched.

If we’re being less strict, we could point to Katic starting v Motherwell, and Grezda holding his place following his poor display in Paisley, plus yesterday’s complete absence of Katic, and Grezda losing his place following his excellent showing v Motherwell.

But nevertheless, Stevie, right now, is definitely getting results as a result of what seems like shock tactics and apparently unnecessary chopping and changing.

We can’t remember the last time the defence was the same four in a row, and attack too is altering by match.

But while most of us hate rotation, and these shock individual selections (Wallace any time soon anyone?) do seem stark, as long as the side is getting the results it’s completely justified.

Indeed, the only domestic side to take points from us recently is Killie last month, and we must admit November has been a very strong month in terms of home-based performance.

Are we sold completely on Stevie – like anyone else we can only judge what we see, and with 15 wins of 28 overall it’s a bit patchy, but it is now 8 wins of 13 in the league with three wins in a row.

I’m sold on Gerrard. He’s done a magnificent job so far. We are a lot closer to where I thought we’d be this season and completely exceeded my expectations of Europe.

It’s coming home.

Let’s go. (I’ve not got off the express train).

Against Motherwell, Candeias was suspended and Kent was injured. It was hardly a surprise to see the other 2 fit wingers getting a start!

We all had a suspicion that Sadiq might start at Hampden as we had no other strikers and Foderingham was because McGregor was injured.

Yesterday was a shock but I think he had an eye on Thursday, and Lafferty has not started many games since he was bought.

Absolute nonsense. The majority understand that with Europe, cups and the league there will be squad rotation but this article makes it sound like there's always strange curve balls every match.

Not true. Rossiter when fit was always going to get some starts and game time, he has been gradually involved like is sensible. Sadiq was our only got striker so even if he regrets that decision it wasn't a shock he started. Grezda like Rossiter is being managed well after an injury and is thought to hopefully be a big player for us so how on god's name is him starting a game when fit a major shock? Alot wanted him in sooner. Middleton like the others is again being managed well and although he is probably delighted at getting the games he could be unlucky at not getting more. Not a shock when he does start.

Saying Grezda was a surprise when Candeias and Kent were unavailable for the Motherwell game is hyperbole.

Also, the 15 in 28 stat - the devil is in the detail. 9 of the 13 that weren't won were draws.

Of those 9, the draws against Shkupi, Osijek, Maribor and Ufa were good results after winning the first leg. A draw away to Villarreal is more than commendable. Even the draw against Spartak isn't a poor result on the face of it.

Just dismissing those by focusing on wins only is unfair.

Surprises are nothing new.Every game against them in my days 60s/70s produced an eye opener.Big George McLean surely not.

Football is a squad game now do if any player in the squad is picked then why is that a shock. Lafferty had to get minutes yesterday as he will be needed soon. So it was great managment yesterday.
Gerrard is doing a much better job than anyone could have dreamed. He had to buy a full new squad and piece it together quick and we are getting better along the way.

i dont think sadiq was that big a shock was he?

No and he rightly said why he played him - he was the only 1st team centre forward available to him.

Was either him or no striker and as he mentioned a team like Rangers needs to play with a centre forward.

Yesterday’s was hardly “shock” Tactics he always said McAuley would get game time - however will be interesting if he starts the same back 4 on Thursday night.

I'm not a great believer in squad rotation, but I am an old fart.
In the 70's, we played our first/best team and that was only altered through injury.
I still believe that's the way to go

An unnecessary negative tone to the article. If Gerrard picked the same team and didn’t rotate I’m sure he would be getting pulled up about that.

We’re going into December 2 points off the top of the league and still with a good chance of getting to the Europa knockout stages. All but the most unrealistic supporter would’ve taken that at the start of the season.

What a lot of pish.

There's been a reasonable explanation for pretty much every change - fatigue, injury, players coming back from international duty, players coming back from injury, opponent or even just the player changed was below par the game before.

Far to many wannabe experts thinking the could pick a better team.

Also, the players aren't robots. Even if someone stayed fit it would be ridiculous to expect someone to play every game. All the rotation says to me is that we are developing depth to our squad which can only be a good thing.

Keeps players on their toes knowing that the first eleven isn't a cert to be the same every single game.

The amount of matches played so early in a season dictates that changes are needed on a game to game basis, also we don’t know all the goings on inside the club, players get knocks ,illness etc which are not always known to us. I’m sold on him completely.

Last sentence spoils if a bit, it seems to question if we should be convinced about the manager.
I don't know anyone who isn't massively excited at how good he just might be.

They're right. We are one third of the way into a season. Some spells/results/performances/signings so far have been great, some have been poor. Qualified praise is the sensible response, not hysteria.

Ibrox Noise consistently fires out ridiculous nonsensical articles. At least they’re consistent.

The gaffer is a winner. Full stop. He has a squad and he asks them the question. If they fail, they’ll go. He is one of the most complete individuals we’ve had in that position for a lot of years. He will bring the good times back. He will become a legend, of that I have no doubt.

Back