Our midfield would be far better with Sterling in there.

Brick_Top

Official Ticketer
Sterling is literally everything we are missing in the middle of the park just now.

If we continue to play the same midfield, with Sterling either benched or playing wildly out of position, then we are just going to keep seeing performances like today.

We need to stop persisting with players that simply aren’t good enough.

I get that we may be down to the bare bones squad wise but it's a complete waste of a decent combative midfielder being stuck out wide contributing next to nothing.

Yes it would be, our midfield missing again where the F were they? Oh allowing St Midden to dictate! Early on I thought Tav was playing left midfield?

Again their corners we were marking ourselves or thin air ffs?

Since we have no quality wide options to speak of it surely doesn’t take a brain surgeon to think that we could change formation to one that actually plays players in positions more familiar to them?

The problem is the inverted fbs it works when ridvan is there but anyone else it doesn't

We just need keep it simple sometimes

I actually feel sorry for him, punted from one position to another.
We need to find out his strongest position and play him there next season, including if that is right back.

We basically play with one midfielder. Lundstram playa so deep and slow he is more like a centre half.

That's the biggest issue for me. If its done under instruction then I have to question that as it leaves us horribly under manned in middle of park. I suspect it's a bit if both. He's instructed to do that under certain conditions and he ensures that these conditions are met, so is continually doing it. Its not quite hiding, but it's not far off it. It makes him look as if he is involved but he's doing nothing that our central defenders aren't capable of doing.

That's the biggest issue for me. If its done under instruction then I have to question that as it leaves us horribly under manned in middle of park. I suspect it's a bit if both. He's instructed to do that under certain conditions and he ensures that these conditions are met, so is continually doing it. Its not quite hiding, but it's not far off it. It makes him look as if he is involved but he's doing nothing that our central defenders aren't capable of doing.

If you look at the heat maps for today his average position on the ball is basicallt in line with the CBs.

Sterling is literally everything we are missing in the middle of the park just now.

If we continue to play the same midfield, with Sterling either benched or playing wildly out of position, then we are just going to keep seeing performances like today.

We need to stop persisting with players that simply aren’t good enough.
Unfortunately our squad is littered with players that simply aren’t good enough. Sterling and Butland apart none of them fill me with confidence.

Was saying at half time, if I was Clement, I’d take Lundstram off and get Sterling in there for his energy and athleticism but also to make a statement to Lundstram that you need to get the finger out.

It’s one of those instances where fans become utterly convinced of something the manager just doesn’t seem to share.

Even with everyone fit I don’t think Sterling is dislodging either Lundstram or Diomande in Clement’s mind.

Personally I think that’s a mistake, but he’s the one with the job and the CV so you have to believe there’s a logic to that in his mind.

Was saying at half time, if I was Clement, I’d take Lundstram off and get Sterling in there for his energy and athleticism but also to make a statement to Lundstram that you need to get the finger out.
Not only that but, if Lundstram really is looking to join this Turkish mob in the summer, can we rely on him to be busting a gut in the remaining games for us?

For me he has to play full back or not at all. The midfield is crying out for someone that can control the game and dictate the tempo. Sterling has the engine and pace to get away with playing in midfield but on the ball there's not a chance he's the man to change things or capable of doing what's required.

As a winger it simply doesn't work either he was barely involved today and offered no attacking threat at all.

I think its the team are not good enough to play the inverted fb at moment we don't have players for it.

Him doing deep is right thing to do in that instance as c the 2 cb go wife to cover the fb

He's a little too deep though

And the lack of movement up front then means there's no where for the ball to go to then pressure is on us as basically tav is now or midfielder.

I like the formatting when the players suit it but ours do not we would be better 352 or 343 with the extra central defender pushing into midfield.

Hes defo not a right winger not sure why clement plays him there get him central to win thw midfiled battles
He plays him there in order that he can drop back and cover when Tav goes forward.
Trust me, I look forward to the day we can play him in his best position, centre mid.

Gonna be honest I don't think it's our midfield , the first half today for example - the midfield was getting it and there's no one to hit upfront , our midfield is too busy doing shuttle runs from our front 3 not holding the ball and our defence misplacing passes to have any chance of imposing themselves on a game

Not only that but, if Lundstram really is looking to join this Turkish mob in the summer, can we rely on him to be busting a gut in the remaining games for us?
Exactly.

For me, his form goes from 1 extreme to another. Unfortunately for us just now he’s looking slow and ponderous.

Lundstram has been poor for weeks now, he’s very pedestrian in everything he does. Lost a few 50-50’s today. Gave ball away cheaply. Dropped deep for ball but then does a square ball to either CH. Very rarely drives forward with any purpose. Hit one decent shot today, but that was about it. Looks like he’s seeing out season tamely to me which is not what we require.

In first half, Diamande played him a wee diagonal ball in centre circle and went for return, Lundstram just passed it straight back to soutter. Cautious risk averse safety first.

I’d honestly drop him, try Raskin alongside Diamonde and Sterling ( maybe even King if Sterling required elsewhere in team).

For me he has to play full back or not at all. The midfield is crying out for someone that can control the game and dictate the tempo. Sterling has the engine and pace to get away with playing in midfield but on the ball there's not a chance he's the man to change things or capable of doing what's required.

As a winger it simply doesn't work either he was barely involved today and offered no attacking threat at all.

I know what you mean mate & I don't disagree - but not only do we not have a midfielder capable of controlling the game - we don't have a midfielder who goes out & wins the ball enough IMO

Sterling is more than capable of winning the ball in the middle of the park - just as he does in any area he's asked to play in -

We need to win the ball more in the first place & stop opponents bossing us or having possession without deserving it

Of course once we've won the ball -
then we have problems with the lack of a player with enough skill & ability to control the game

Honestly wonder what some folk are watching, if they think Sterling is a natural midfielder.

He'll work hard, but is very uncomfortable playing there and really struggles to take the ball on the half turn.

He's a full back, pure and simple.

He’s not a winger. He will do you a job on athleticism along but we need a bit more guile there

You can’t have him as an attacking player there simply won’t get any numbers and completely stunts us. You might get the defensive side but that’s it

Get him in the midfield or who knows might very well end up at RB if tav does leave because Devine simply isn’t the answer

Honestly wonder what some folk are watching, if they think Sterling is a natural midfielder.

He'll work hard, but is very uncomfortable playing there and really struggles to take the ball on the half turn.

He's a full back, pure and simple.

'very uncomfortable playing in midfield'
I must have missed that

Not many games left to get the finger out. That game in Paisley should be John Lundstrams last in a Rangers jersey.

Hes not had a good game tho out on the right. He wasnt in the game ataw today as hes wasted out there. At least play 1 of the players we have that we want to progress in there like mclausland. He needs to play centre IMO
McCausland hasn't kicked his @rse in months. Another one who is not good enough at present at least.

Back