Our striker is reluctant to shoot.

The manager needs to sit him down and tell him to mix it up

He has ability but he’s too predictable

He has to try a new approach and take early shots and stop always chopping to buy him some extra time

In Scotland there are too many low blocks and packed defences so he needs to adapt his game

He’s very frustrating as others have already posted
I posted the exact same at the start of March, and if anything, he’s got worse for it.

That’s a failure on behalf of the player AND the coaching.

The thing about Dessers is, he always wants a load of touches and thinks he has loads more time, in our league in particular, this doesn't happen with the number of bodies packed into the box.

It's a clear and obvious flaw, has been for months. I presume the coaches or manager has instructed him to get shots off quicker and not to take extra unnecessary touches. If they haven't, then why? If they have, then, why isn't he following instruction?
I’ve asked myself the same question. Some will tell you that if you haven’t learned to get shots off quicker or how to time your runs better in order to stay onside by the time you’re 28 or 29 then it’s probably not going to happen (old dogs and new tricks, etc), but I’ve never really bought that.

This is what a coaching team is supposed to do - identify and improve players’ weaknesses and flaws.

So either Dessers is a simpleton unable to understand instructions or our coaching isn’t a good as it should be.

One thing’s for sure, if he dithers hesitantly in front of goal next weekend, I think the torches and pitchforks will be out for the lad.

He's a very poor centre forward, let's not beat about the bush here, he's fuckin dreadful.

And needs dropped. He can’t start at Parkhead.

Struggles to stay onside, he fouls too often, he does not anticipate a ball inside the box, he doesn’t like to get a shot off, his heading on the most part is dreadful. A walk in the park for the Celtic defence if Dessers starts.

Least touches of any player to play 90 minutes yesterday. I predict that if he starts at Parkhead he’ll be lucky to make 25 touches of the ball and will be brutal in front of goal.

Struggles to stay onside, he fouls too often, he does not anticipate a ball inside the box, he doesn’t like to get a shot off, his heading on the most part is dreadful. A walk in the park for the Celtic defence if Dessers starts.

Least touches of any player to play 90 minutes yesterday. I predict that if he starts at Parkhead he’ll be lucky to make 25 touches of the ball and will be brutal in front of goal.
Who starts ahead of him?

You can only shoot first time if you can sort your feet out and get your body position right. He can't and needs multiple touches which is why he doesn't score more goals.

I resolved a few months ago when it was pretty clear he was our only fit option to just roll with the punches and endure him warts and all until the end of the season rather than get too wound up about it.

My God he doesn’t make it easy though. Absolutely one of the weirdest players we’ve ever had in terms of the variance in performance levels, he has zero baseline and swings wildly between “pretty decent” to “won a competition to play” on a game by game basis. It’s bizarre for a professional footballer.

He won't do.
Back up striker yes but as a starter he's a no go....I get that all strikers miss chances but I've seen enough of his all round play to say we need someone more clinical.

That was actually ridiculous yesterday , charging away after the bounce ball and the ball hitting off Macausland , he still wouldn’t have shot

Hes learned nothing,hes not going to change now he should be out the door asap,i see Phil shouting at him yesterday to shoot first time.Its like hes got a phobia about hitting the ball quick incase he misses,but ends up doing nothing apart from giving it away anyway.

He manages to get himself in a position where he is frequently too closely marked.in the box. The defence is straight on him due to his extra touches.He could do with better anticipation and movement.
Having said that alot of our distribution into the box is wasteful and often pointless to the degree that we are giving possession right back to the opposition.

Carter Vickers will rag doll Silva.

Least Dessers has more mass to be a bit competitive than Silva
Dessers does not play physical at all, despite his size.

Given Vickers gets away with a loy of overly physical play that any other defender concedes a FK or card for, trying to out physical him is the wrong approach.

Play around him not through him. Or he'll grapple you every time and get away with it.

Folk talk about the goals he's got but I'm more inclined to think, that in the unlikely case that we go to ParkPaed and win, to go level on goal difference, then the shortfall in goals scored could be directly or indirectly attributed to Dessers missed chances.

Like others have said, seems a great guy but he needs replaced for next season.

Rock and a hard place for Saturday.

We play Dessers and you have a feeling that he’ll make himself at least one chance either through luck or the awkward way he attacks the ball (which has on occasion confused defenders) - but you have no faith he’ll score it.

We play Roofe like we have before there and he is like a man down because we can’t get him any service to his feet. Silva I think would be the same.

Almost at the point of considering Cantwell or something else up top.

He is a nice guy and I genuinely think "he gets it" but in terms of footballing ability he is poor and we should move him on in the summer if possible.

This is the unfortunate reality. Dessers is a very likeable chap, he’s clearly enjoying being a Ranger. But he’s just not sharp or instinctive enough to be our main striker. So many chances passed up because he’s not confident or talented enough to hit it first time, he always wants to take 2 extra touches and then the chance has gone. His stats look good so we should be able to sell him. But in a Rangers team creating so many chances a more instinctive striker would have scored double Dessers tally and we’d be streets ahead in the “race for the title”. That’s how critical it is we replace him rather than persevere and hope he improves. He won’t.

I resolved a few months ago when it was pretty clear he was our only fit option to just roll with the punches and endure him warts and all until the end of the season rather than get too wound up about it.

My God he doesn’t make it easy though. Absolutely one of the weirdest players we’ve ever had in terms of the variance in performance levels, he has zero baseline and swings wildly between “pretty decent” to “won a competition to play” on a game by game basis. It’s bizarre for a professional footballer.
That's basically where I've been for a while now. I've accepted he is what he is. There will be times he will get goals and others where he doesn't score and he's all over the place.

Who starts ahead of him?

Silva.

I'd fancy him to be more composed, hold the ball up better (into feet), actually lay it off to a team mate and he'll win more fouls - if that means going down and playing it clever at the slightest of touches then so be it. We don't need Dessers straying offside, committing fouls, flapping at opportunities, getting the ball tangled up in his own feet and getting no change in a dual against Carter-Vickers. He's prone to surrendering possession and he goes down and flaps his arms about looking for a foul when the ball is still in play.

Midfield three of Lundstram, Diomande and Sterling. Ridvan and Tavernier at full back then you look at McCausland and potentially Cantwell in wider areas. Cantwell doesn't have it in him to play the high press in the 10 and I don't believe Lawrence should be anywhere near the 11. Not sure on Matondo's availability?

Far from ideal but if we go with Lundstram and Diomande with Sterling wide right, Cantwell/Lawrence at 10, we'll lose the midfield battle.

Sounds mental I know starting without a recognised striker,but such are this guy's deficiencies I think it's something the manager needs to consider seriously . If it affords is a bit more in midfield then I'd keep him until the latter stages of the game. Sad times indeed.

Silva.

I'd fancy him to be more composed, hold the ball up better (into feet), actually lay it off to a team mate and he'll win more fouls - if that means going down and playing it clever at the slightest of touches then so be it. We don't need Dessers straying offside, committing fouls, flapping at opportunities, getting the ball tangled up in his own feet and getting no change in a dual against Carter-Vickers. He's prone to surrendering possession and he goes down and flaps his arms about looking for a foul when the ball is still in play.

Midfield three of Lundstram, Diomande and Sterling. Ridvan and Tavernier at full back then you look at McCausland and potentially Cantwell in wider areas. Cantwell doesn't have it in him to play the high press in the 10 and I don't believe Lawrence should be anywhere near the 11. Not sure on Matondo's availability?

Far from ideal but if we go with Lundstram and Diomande with Sterling wide right, Cantwell/Lawrence at 10, we'll lose the midfield battle.
Silva has played that position for us but he kept dropping deep whereas a lot of the time we are looking to get the ball up early and that doesn't seem to suit him. I think his best position is playing just behind the main striker.

Wonder why this have never been coached out of him, unless most defenders don't expect him to take a further 2/3 touches. Soon catch on

We need better than him. The amount of touches he needs to get the ball under control is a joke for any professional footballer, never mind a number 9. His positioning at times is off the scale.

Back