Paddy McNair linked again

Played less than half their league games this season.

Another Championship jobber in his late 20's and on a sizeable wage is the last thing we need.

When Wibble was manager of the ROI, they were poaching guys from NI who came from nationalist backgrounds and they thought that McNair was one of them because of his name.

They got a shock when they checked out his background.

Seems like he's been 29 for about 4 years. I honestly thought he was older. He seems to have been about for ages.

We need to be very careful with injury prone players. The wage must reflect the presumption of a lack of availability.

If we keep signing guys like this then we will never be winning the league. Just absolute dossers.
Playing devil's advocate here, but let's say we get him on 100 quid a week, he might be injured half of the season, but if he can contribute the other half then it's a no brainer.

I'm not suggesting he'll take 100 quid a week btw.

Will have been on decent wages down there so would be expecting the same or better for last decent contract.

He’s had his fair share of injuries last season.

He doesn’t have the quality to win us the league.

He would not meet the criteria for the transfer model we are trying to implement as not a sellable asset.

He's one we'll be linked with until the day he retires. Even if Steve Davis returns as manager in a few years, he still isn't signing.

He's worse than Dowell and Lawrence.

I liked him as a player a few seasons ago, but the players prone to injury need to be avoided at all costs.
Prone to injury what is the measurement have a look at the Transfermarkt injury page for this player too Cav

Last edited:
Reactions: cav
Wouldn't touch this tbh. For a start I don't think he comes to be a squad rotation utility man on a modest wage which is the only criteria I'd be saying it makes sense.

He's already tried and failed at Sunderland...

mainly because he looked like a centre mid playing centre back when he started at the back and a centre back playing in midfield when he started in the middle.

Brilliant lol. This is the type we do not require. I'd rather Bailey Rice played 10 games a season and had a chance of developing into a proper Rangers midfielder than waste minutes and money on someone who isn't good enough on the ball for our style.

He's one we'll be linked with until the day he retires. Even if Steve Davis returns as manager in a few years, he still isn't signing.

He's worse than Dowell and Lawrence.

If he played as an attacking midfielder I would say thats correct….

You not better comparing him to our CH’s?

I can’t see this one being true, I think we are completely changing our transfer strategy to a more data driven one

If he wasn’t northern Irish nobody would care about him. Can barely get a game for Middlesbrough. Red flags all over the place especially as he will want £25k a week plus

The sort of signing we need to be moving away from. Don’t care if he can play RB, CB or DM. You wouldn’t play him at RB, I don’t believe he’s a better CB than what we already have and replacing Lundstram with McNair would be pointless. Jack of all trades, master of none.

£20k+ for a utility player approaching his 30’s who played half the games this season.

Actually would be a good signing on a free, at least he would play for the badge !
Some folk slagging him wanted Gogic last week ffs
He takes Ryan Jacks wage and instantly contributes more with his versatility
Get him in
Takes Ryan’s wage and his place on the treatment table more likely

Back