Players you always wanted Rangers to sign (realistic)

Andriy-Shevchenko-400x542.jpg

Andriy Shevchenko

I thought Robbie Earnshaw would have done us in a turn back in the naughts.

In general I think we should be looking much more at MLS as a market where the salary cap makes many plays an absolute bargain. It's also a league where athleticism is prized so players are more likely to be suitable with pace of the Scottish game. We also have a good track record with Americans who've played for us, however we're not restricted to American players, MLS has seen an influx of talent from South and Centtal America in recent years which gives us the benefit of seeing which Latin players travel and settle well and which ones don't

Waddle is the one that springs to mind. What a player he would have been for us.

Lots of great names above although not sure some of them were realistic!

Bit left field but at the time James Scrowcroft would have been a good signing for us. Strong hard working centre midfielder who was at Sheffield United

Last edited:
Players who we were close to signing that we should/could have persisted with: Tristan, Jardel as the main two.

Lesser known players...I always thought Ricardo Fuller wouldn't have burst the bank and would have been a useful player for us.

I thought Robbie Earnshaw would have done us in a turn back in the naughts.

In general I think we should be looking much more at MLS as a market where the salary cap makes many plays an absolute bargain. It's also a league where athleticism is prized so players are more likely to be suitable with pace of the Scottish game. We also have a good track record with Americans who've played for us, however we're not restricted to American players, MLS has seen an influx of talent from South and Centtal America in recent years which gives us the benefit of seeing which Latin players travel and settle well and which ones don't

I'd agree with that.

We've also had a lot of success with our previous American signings.

Jonny Evans is another we should've been in for years ago.

In fact, I actually think there's a lot of people on here who would've turned their noses up at that prospect at the time!

Kenny Dalglish circa 1983/4 - When Jock Wallace returned.

There were rumours.

I always thought we should sign Dwight Yorke about 18 months before he went to Man U.

Keith Gillespie was another I always liked.

Yes when Advocatt was here think it was talk of a.loan when he was at PSV.
It was 1997 when he had just finished his one and only season with Barcelona. He was allowed to leave them for £20m that summer and it was between us or Inter Milan. His agent came out last year and was talking about the story, and that Murray had offered for him to just play in Old Firm and Champions League matches and sit out regular Scottish league and cup games.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...7_____but_only_to_play_in_Europe__says_agent/

1) Brazilian Ronaldo - paper talk of £37m in Smith's last season first time around.
2) Van Nistlerooy
3) Van Persie
4) Fowler
5) Alan Smith
6) Bergkamp
7) Tamudo
8) Davids (He didn't want to join us but we were strongly linked)
9) Messi/ Iniesta (both loan signings)
10) Jardel
11) Craig Gordon - Was gutted/raging when he went to the Tims

More a player that was linked than one I really wish signed for us, but was Niklas Bendtner not linked around the time Le Guen came in. He'd either just had, or was about to have, a good season on loan for Birmingham. At that stage of his career he'd have been decent partner for Boyd/Prso.

Alan Smith,Robbie Fowler,Gary McCallister,Don Hutchison,Alan Hansen,John Wark and a younger version of the one we signed Andy Gray

Jardel was the first player that sprung to mind.

Ronaldo (R9) would've been unreal but I'm glad for his career that he never, would've been wasted here.

Van Nistelrooy was linked before as well was he not?

I heard at the time - mid 70's ? - that Ian Wallace was at Ibrox for talks. Didn't click with Jock Wallace and went to Coventry instead.

Good wee player.
Didn't Jock Wallace try to sign him for £100k when he returned to Ibrox?

Willie Wallace, Danny McGrain, Kenny Dalglish, John White. Losing the first three mentioned to that mob only highlights how poor or scouting was in the mid to late 60, as was missing out on John White, a player who had his heart set on signing for us.

Didn't Jock Wallace try to sign him for £100k when he returned to Ibrox?

I think you're probably right and my memory is a bit dull and confused. The story I heard came from a mate of Gordon Chisholm who I think was a team mate of Wallace at Sunderland so it would be from Big Jock's second spell.

Pretty sure I remember McAllister confirmed that he was close to a deal. Rolls royce of a player even in his latter days at Liverpool.

Would've loved Robbie Fowler.
Can't believe some of the players we've seen realistically linked with over the years compared to now.

Back