Polster at right back

Wouldn't have Matt Polster any where near the team when we've got Jon Flanagan. Flanagan is no superstar but he's had a better career and is a better defender than Polster.

We continue to talk about the youth set up and promoting youths. Right now and in the not so distant future we are going to have a cracking core of younger players. Maybe now is the time to stop filling the squad with players like Polster and go with youth. Not only does it save money, reduces bloatedness in the squad, but also gives the talented younger players a path to the first team.

Patterson will be ready next season to deputise Tavernier. We could easily reduce the wages further by moving on Polster and Flanagan. We'll need to find an attack minded left side full back as back up for Barišić so Halliday too can be moved on. Unless Gerrard doesn't feel the likes of a Patterson are ready and look to send them on a 6 month/season long loan?
Flannagan is a total bombscare, totally useless. Polster from the few opportunities he's had looked a massive upgrade.

He could have got married at the break then had his honeymoon in the summer. An utterly stupid decision and it has cost him his career.

Flannagan is a total bombscare, totally useless. Polster from the few opportunities he's had looked a massive upgrade.

He could have got married at the break then had his honeymoon in the summer. An utterly stupid decision and it has cost him his career.

Flanagan has put in performances Polster could only dream of. Both domestically and on the European scene.

People seem to forget that.

He’s a younger, fitter, and more technically adept Halliday and we’d be mad to sack him off given the need for utility players across defence and defensive midfield. he’ll be cheap enough, and I don’t rate keeping Flanagan around to do the same on higher wages for not much more product.

Gerrard can be hesitant about replacing players tiring in games, if we’re to go all the way this season I can see that having to change.

Maybe just me but aside from the ‘younger’ but which is obviously a fact I’ve seen nothing in his infrequent appearances to date to feel like you can properly assess this either way.

Polster has made 5 appearances (a few of which were late cameos) since signing for the club coming up on a year ago, I don’t really see how you can use that to judge anyone frankly.

A weird signing right enough. When given game time he was a tidy player who held his own against the cluggers. Both the Gaffer and him must have been resigned to him leaving when his permission to miss the camp totally was granted to let him get married.

Didn’t realise he chose his honeymoon over Dubai, don’t see him coming back from that what a stupid decision

Polster is a centre mid. He can cover RB in an emergency but midfield is his position.

He's never going to play ahead of actual right backs.

Ahh, the lesser spotted Polster! Doesn't look great for him - getting a game at Rangers, that is.

He certainly seems a better attacking option than Flanagan and more experienced and physically developed than Patterson so he may have been a good compromise for Wed and Sunday.

However, as he's been told he can leave, it was unlikely he'd get the nod in front of players who are staying.

Haven't really seen enough of Polster to judge his ability, Flanagan can be trusted to fill in at right back and Polster will struggle to get a chance unless we have injury crisis.

I

Is this a windup? Flanagan may not be Tav flying forward but he is definitely not a bombscare. FFS he’s a backs-to-the-wall defender.

I think, whether permitted or not, that if you decide to not attend training camp for your honeymoon, then it’s unlikely you will ever feature again.

It was a ludicrous decision on his part.

I wasn't aware of this. Astoundingly bad decision, unless it was booked up before he signed for us. Most weddings/honeymoons seem to be booked over a year in advance. Would have been during the MLS close season.

I think, whether permitted or not, that if you decide to not attend training camp for your honeymoon, then it’s unlikely you will ever feature again.

In fairness I think Gerrard probably said he's not part of his plans and to go and enjoy it because he'll be finding another club soon.

I really don't know why he was signed if he can't get in when tav is out, Flanagan is ok defensively but gives nothing going forward.

looks like bit of a gamble taken and cover as a utility player,he seems happy to not get near the team and probably spends fair wack of his day keeping his missus happy?

How anyone can make a negative judgement on Polster is beyond me... He's played about 4 games off the bench and every time I've seen him come on he has looked the part... but who knows how he'd fare in 90 minutes in the SPL.

I trust our manager but I dont think anyone else has the right to judge the guys ability.

In fairness I think Gerrard probably said he's not part of his plans and to go and enjoy it because he'll be finding another club soon.
Perhaps but its still the wrong attitude and if he had said that he would wait for the honeymoon and wanted to give his all and be at the training camp then he might have gotten the opportunity when Tav was ruled out.

The last time I heard that nonsense was from John Brown. He was being offered a player from Texas. That player was Stuart Holden and he was being offered by his coach who was also a founding member of Texas True Blues. American players can do just fine.
i liked holden at bolton

Two ways of looking at this. Polster has hardly made the squad since he’s been here and even less often made the park. He’ll have arranged the wedding at a time he wouldn’t even have been missed at training.

Then we get Tav going crook, which just doesn’t happen, and we need cover. Is Polster expected to cancel everything?

Polster’s big mistake was not scheduling his wedding/honeymoon for one of the summer/winter/international breaks.

And all you guy that reckon she’s average and I still prefer men bang her. Ye’s feckin would. :D

Can't see him playing again

Yes he's entitled to get married like everybody else but could have sorted out a honeymoon off season looks like he's going down in history as a waste of money

To be honest, i haven't seen enough of him to make up my mind on his quality, but you have to think that the backroom staff have a good idea of who will make it. Saying that, how Barker gets a game is beyond me.

Struck me as odd. I don't think even Alfie or Tav would get away with that one. Never mind a guy who needs to seize every chance he gets to impress. Don't think he'll be a Rangers player much longer.
Well, Alfredo went back to Colombia, so he did get away with it.

The fact it was allowed suggests he was already on the periphery. I can't believe, though, he would then think it was a good idea.

It's an issue with many American players. They don't have the correct mentality. It comes from growing up in a non-football environment.

Donno Mo Edu seemed like a good pro to me as did Beasley.

Donno Mo Edu seemed like a good pro to me as did Beasley.

Claudio Reyna did just fine too.

Pulisic and Clint Dempsey seem to suggest that it's not a problem either.

If there's one thing Americans don't lack it's a drive that you can be the best and they have a winning mentality set in them from almost birth.

Dunno what the poster you quoted is even thinking with that train of thought.

If there's one thing Americans don't lack it's a drive that you can be the best and they have a winning mentality set in them from almost birth.

Thought it was strange as well. If we're collectively defining their biggest strength I'd say it was determination.

If you had the bit between your teeth, you’d come out all guns blazing.

Be the first lad in Dubai and show you want it.

He’s clearly pussy whipped.

I don't know how ridiculous it actually was if it was my bird then i would be at the training camp but with his i think i would of chose the honeymoon.

The two I quoted was just off the top of my head. I'm sure if I gave it some thought there's loads of Shermans plying there trade all over Europe. Reckon Polsters just not a very good player.

Hopefully he finds his feet at another club and moves on although would have liked him have a few games under his belt to make a proper judgement on his footballing skills...maybe we could just offer his Mrs a new contract?

Back