Portsmouth bear friendly bars

Hi will be on holiday in Portsmouth for first beggars game on the 29th August . Is there any bear friendly bars to see the game
The Green dragon in Gosport last season was home of the Gosport and Portsmouth RSC. Haven’t heard much from them in the close season and whilst the pubs have been closed. Worth a shout on their Facebook page.

Hi will be on holiday in Portsmouth for first beggars game on the 29th August . Is there any bear friendly bars to see the game
Green Dragon in Gosport is where Gosport & Portsmouth Association of Rangers Supporters (GAPARS) watch the Gers matches, which is in a separate bar area to the ordinary bar for bears when the games are televised, great venue. That is the RSC of Portsmouth so to speak.

However any pub in Portsmouth is likely to be Rangers friendly with it being the home of the Royal Navy. Most Pompey supporters (Pompey is my English team) are aware of the Gers connection with the Armed Forces and being pro-British.

A few great pubs spread across the city which show football are: Portsbridge (Cosham), Dockyard (Guildhall), Raven (Somerstown), Froddington Arms (Fratton), Ship Anson (Portsmouth Harbour), Shepherds Crook (Milton), Eastney Tavern (Eastney), Admiral Drake (Rudmore) and the Newcome Arms (basically a Portsmouth Supporters Club - Fratton).

WATP

Green Dragon in Gosport is where Gosport & Portsmouth Association of Rangers Supporters (GAPARS) watch the Gers matches, which is in a separate bar area to the ordinary bar for bears when the games are televised, great venue. That is the RSC of Portsmouth so to speak.

However any pub in Portsmouth is likely to be Rangers friendly with it being the home of the Royal Navy. Most Pompey supporters (Pompey is my English team) are aware of the Gers connection with the Armed Forces and being pro-British.

A few great pubs spread across the city which show football are: Portsbridge (Cosham), Dockyard (Guildhall), Raven (Somerstown), Froddington Arms (Fratton), Ship Anson (Portsmouth Harbour), Shepherds Crook (Milton), Eastney Tavern (Eastney), Admiral Drake (Rudmore) and the Newcome Arms (basically a Portsmouth Supporters Club - Fratton).

WATP
Theres four or five Orange lodges in the Portsmouth district.
And the legendary Pompey supporter, the late Docker Hughes, was a member.

WATP
Cheers mate WATP

Also if you’re down here for a few days and you’ve got time I’d definitely recommend visiting the Historic Dockyard too mate (Portsmouth Harbour), an amazing piece of British Naval History all in that one spot - HMS Warrior, HMS Victory, Mary Rose and the National Museum of the Royal Navy. If you do go get the yearly ticket for £40 though (you then have access to all of them) as a £24 entry is only a day’s entry and you can only visit one of them.

Also if you’re down here for a few days and you’ve got time I’d definitely recommend visiting the Historic Dockyard too mate (Portsmouth Harbour), an amazing piece of British Naval History all in that one spot - HMS Warrior, HMS Victory, Mary Rose and the National Museum of the Royal Navy. If you do go get the yearly ticket for £40 though (you then have access to all of them) as a £24 entry is only a day’s entry and you can only visit one of them.
Brilliant place love it there well worth the money

When I worked in Portsmouth a few years ago, I used to watch our games in the Alma Arms, I think it was called but I heard it's been knocked down now.
Really enjoyed working in Portsmouth and got on with a few Pompey fans.
Great bunch of lads.

A couple of years ago met a few guys from the Portsmouth RSC in the Wee Rangers Club. There were guys up fom Plymouth as well. I said did yous travel up together?
They just looked at me. Apparently they are just under 100 miles apart. FFS felt like a fool.
Dedication from these guys.

When I worked in Portsmouth a few years ago, I used to watch our games in the Alma Arms, I think it was called but I heard it's been knocked down now.
Really enjoyed working in Portsmouth and got on with a few Pompey fans.
Great bunch of lads.
The Alma’s been gone nearly 10 years or so now I think, proper authentic pub that was. Sadly another pub in Pompey that’s been knocked down. Luckily however there’s still lots of pubs in Portsmouth but it used to have more pubs per square mile than any other city in the country I believe.

A couple of years ago met a few guys from the Portsmouth RSC in the Wee Rangers Club. There were guys up fom Plymouth as well. I said did yous travel up together?
They just looked at me. Apparently they are just under 100 miles apart. FFS felt like a fool.
Dedication from these guys.
Lol don’t worry about it mate, both are Naval ports and on the South Coast so it’s easy for others not from the region to mistake them to be close together. They are quite far apart but are pretty similar to one another city wise.

I worked down in Portsmouth in the late 90’s for a few months.
Watched the Scottish Cup semi final at the piggery against the
scum in 1998 and the league game shortly after in two different
pubs. When Rangers scored the pubs erupted. Safe to say Pompey
is bear friendly. :)

If RayRangers is still kicking about then he could be your man. Went on the Portsmouth and Gosport bus to Manchester and was memorable....

The Alma’s been gone nearly 10 years or so now I think, proper authentic pub that was. Sadly another pub in Pompey that’s been knocked down. Luckily however there’s still lots of pubs in Portsmouth but it used to have more pubs per square mile than any other city in the country I believe.
I'm sure some of the lodges used to meet in the back room of the Alma.
Proper authentic pub as you say.
Used to enjoy watching our games in there.

Currently in Fratton Park and happy to report "when I was young, I had no sense..." has been heard being belted out in the south stand. Play Up Pompey

Is that not Norwichs claim to fame a pub for everyvdaybof the year, must be close tbf and no doubt pompey staunch.

Was based in HMS Nelson for a couple fo years , 2010 ish. Nice weather , great nights out. Easy to get ones Nat king.

Try, Yates in Guildhall.

Or the Park Tavern - losers disco.

Back