Rangers Open Transfer Talks With West Ham RB Ben Johnson

Not sure I really welcome us looking at players being released by English clubs.

We need to move away from that market..it's lazy and it's not served us particularly well recently.

Butland and Johnson are EPL level players.

Dowell and Lawrence, not so much.

It wasn’t so long ago Johnson was being linked with Arsenal. Regardless of how people feel about Tavernier, he’s 33 in the autumn and we should absolutely be looking to strengthen there.

I very much doubt Jefte was allowed to leave to visit Ibrox in the middle of APOEL’s final two league games with them tied at the top going into the last game. And they play the team they’re tied with on the final day.

Out of contract with his parent club or not, I just can’t see him doing that.

Butland and Johnson are EPL level players.

Dowell and Lawrence, not so much.

It wasn’t so long ago Johnson was being linked with Arsenal. Regardless of how people feel about Tavernier, he’s 33 in the autumn and we should absolutely be looking to strengthen there.
Last chance to get some decent money for Tavernier also.

Reactions: TQ3
Not sure I really welcome us looking at players being released by English clubs.

We need to move away from that market..it's lazy and it's not served us particularly well recently.
May well be down to finances. Don't know how much we will have to spend but we have a lot of positions to address and won't be able to put £4 million players in every position.

How many right backs have we signed since we've had Tav?
We have never bought a rival for his position only Flanagan, hodgson types, but we’re not in a position to have two big wages fighting for same positions and due to bad recruitment we have always had other priorities.

Also ignore the Record spinning that West Ham are releasing him and letting him go. Johnson has rejected multiple contract extension offers from them.

The right-back has rejected multiple contract offers from West Ham. Their recent offer was a four-year package, but both parties failed to reach an agreement. In February 2022, the versatile defender turned down a six-and-a-half-year deal.

The former England under-21 international has made 22 appearances this season, but most have been cameo appearances from the bench having struggled to dislodge first-choice right-back Vladimir Coufal.

Johnson won the young player of the year award in 2021 and won both the UEFA Europa Conference League and UEFA European U21 Championship in the summer of 2023.

https://theathletic.com/5458081/2024/04/30/west-ham-aaron-cresswell/

I'd be happy to see this guy at Ibrox but the whole story sounds like bullshit to me.

I very much doubt Jefte was allowed to leave to visit Ibrox in the middle of APOEL’s final two league games with them tied at the top going into the last game. And they play the team they’re tied with on the final day.

Out of contract with his parent club or not, I just can’t see him doing that.
He hasn’t been starting as much recently and they’ll be off for a few days as their next game isn’t till the 11th of May.

Every chance the poster was right.

Random blogger I know but apparently asking for £50k a week which West Ham weren't willing to pay
Maybe we can offer him a wage and a % of any future transfer fee...after all we will want him in, playing and then sold on in a year or two.

Full back is a weakness we have in the squad, particularly when you look at Borna leaving and Sterling hopefully being a CM.
Not good news for Devine though

Meant to be very good and probably unlucky Coufal has been so good for them according to reports.

The amount of wages we're shifting this summer could well mean bosmans with a higher wage ceiling but I can't see us spending heavily on the RB position unless Tav is off to Saudi.
That's a huge loss offensively but his legs are on the decline imo. Maybe it's an inevitability we should be facing up to and pro actively dealing with.
Been covered by lots of posters on here, but our RB being our highest scorer or thereabouts for so long is a red flag in itself if we're being honest about it.

My mate who’s a Bear and season ticket holder at West Ham said “I hope he’s not coming, I watch that useless prick every week.”

Take from that what you will.

Always thought he looked a decent defender, safe, if in doubt, read the game well, strong in the tackle, recovery pace, good in the air, can play either side of defence, two footed, good range of passing (longer balls). There was a period of late December through January where he was playing regularly and no surprise his performances were improving and he was gaining confidence. The lad needs regular first team football so maybe he needs to consider that before thinking about his wage packet?

He's more attack minded than Coufal, not as direct and attacking as Tavernier.

The days of having to rely on Tavernier every week to bail us out in the attacking zones has to stop. That's not a dig at Tav but the other players in the squad from midfield, out wide to up top.

Another player who people on FF have seen the few games he has played and has made such an impact on them.

Honestly think some on here must just watch game after game , and do a report in their head of every player that plays. (either that, or they are taking shite)

the players wages site states he’s paid £33k per week at West Ham. At his age he will no doubt want his next move to offer a higher wage and anything well above £30k is an issue. That said if we give him a decent signing on fee and slightly increase his wages we can compete with other clubs maybe. I have faith in the club getting deals over the line. They’ve done it time and time again. Good ones and bad ones.

My mate who’s a Bear and season ticket holder at West Ham said “I hope he’s not coming, I watch that useless prick every week.”

Take from that what you will.
Can you find out his he's permanently injured too? Sounds like an ideal fit for Medical Room FC

As a full back I’d say he is more Sterling than Tav in style.

Would probably require a slight tweak in how we play if Tav was to leave and he was to come in and replace him.

We need to alter our play going forward anyway. It is ridiculous that we are so dependant on Tav for much of our attacking play.

Reactions: TQ3
It does but we seem to always dip into thay market and get it wrong. We have a bit of the "they play in England so must be great" about our recruitment.

Obviously we've had exceptions like Butland.
And Sterling. Always a risk with any new signing but I think Johnston will be similar - physically strong, athletic and can get up and down the park. Plus he has experience in the EPL. If the deal can be made I think we should go for it.

The problem with putting anyone on huge wages is trying to shift them if it doesn't work out.

Every signing is a gamble to some degree though.

Johnson is a very good player. I get some are fretting about another signing from England but he'd be a terrific signing.

Surely it's got no chance with his wage demands?

Ask Everton to send Nathan Patterson back to us, on loan for a season.
Since Dyche doesn't select him, Rangers could play him, and gives us time to find a RB of our own.
Why would we do that if we can maybe get Johnson on a free, permanently?

Why would we do that if we can maybe get Johnson on a free, permanently?
All depends on who you believe is a better player, a lot of these stories are rubbish anyway and id guess Tav wont be leaving.... if he does i could see Patterson coming back on loan that would be a good move for Rangers even if it is only short term.

So, the Daily Coverup reports interest, then next day reports he will snub Rangers. They are full of crap, they don't know anything.
It is such a great job, look at the positions Rangers and Celtic might change over the summer, pick someone from English football that is coming to the end of their contract/ about to leave. Probably takes under 5 minutes. Get it right remind readers forever, get it wrong no one cares.

Back