Rangers Open Transfer Talks With West Ham RB Ben Johnson

In what way is it awful… Lawrence, Dowell + Davies, for example, are likely costing us over 60k per week.

Players from the Championship and Premiership are generally on a downward trajectory and yet we indulge them with significant contracts in order to attract them to Scotland.

It’s an inflated and over-hyped market.

Our successes have come from League 1 & youth level.

Butland is an exception, thus far.

We haven't been signing players on a downward trajectory from those leagues in the main though, certainly not in recent years.

Bassey, Sterling, Cantwell, Dowell, Kent, Barker were all a good age with regards potential to improve when we signed them. Goldson was signed from a Premiership club and has undoubtedly been a success, regardless of his recent dip in form.

Lundstram was 27/28, so not terrible in that regard either.

Defoe and McCauley obviously were on a downward trajectory, but very few of us would consider the former to have been a poor signing.

I've not included loans or players like McGregor and Davis who knew the club.

Our hit rate there is probably favourable in the last 5 or 6 seasons.

Reactions: cav
That's the key word right there.
true but they’ve been a part of so many teams that have done similar you can’t help but feel they’re the issue. Tav, Goldson, Barasic and Lundstram need to go for me. Scott Wright isn’t part of any ‘leadership group’ but he’s rotten as well.

Total value of a Transfer has to be considered.

E.g A Transfer fee of £4m and a salary of £20k pw (Just over £1m per year)

Keep for 2 seasons = £6m roughly total cost

Transfer fee = ????? (Anything above £6m is profit.

In comparison:

A player like Johnson:

Transfer fee = 0

Salary = £40k per week

Keep for 2 seasons = £4m roughly total cost

Transfer fee = ??????? (Anything above £4m is profit)

Exactly the type of move we should be targeting as part of our aspiring transfer model. You cannot make lemonade with Turkey's. You need some good quality Lemons.

Isn't it about the club decisions moving forward rather than us again looking back at what he previously gave us ?

I agree on all with Mathers as of today.

You think its fair to compare Godson's contributions to Rangers with someone like Dowell?

You people are effin mental.

We are making a decision right now, based upon current abilities & value to the club for the future.

I'm not mental, but thanks for you emotional opinion.

Ahhhh so you cant see beyond your own nose and as Goldson has hit a bit of bad form he's now categorised in the dame bracket as Kieran Dowell etc?

I see loyalty and support isn't your thing.

Ahhhh so you cant see beyond your own nose and as Goldson has hit a bit of bad form he's now categorised in the dame bracket as Kieran Dowell etc?

I see loyalty and support isn't your thing.

You're funny LOL.

Given that i've had a season ticket since 1969/70, which included many a shite year, i think you can assume i'm a loyal Rangers fan.

Who do you support, Rangers or Connor ?

Not sure I really welcome us looking at players being released by English clubs.

We need to move away from that market..it's lazy and it's not served us particularly well recently.
The last full back we signed from a premier league club was Calvin Bassey

You're funny LOL.

Given that i've had a season ticket since 1969/70, which included many a shite year, i think you can assume i'm a loyal Rangers fan.

Who do you support, Rangers or Connor ?

Ill always support a player who has contributed as much as Goldson has over these 6 years through bad form.

Some people don't, fair enough.

He hasn’t been starting as much recently and they’ll be off for a few days as their next game isn’t till the 11th of May.

Every chance the poster was right.

I know someone who seen him at Ibrox yesterday.

I cant claim its 100% as i never seen myself but just passing on what i was told.

If its a lot of crap then fair enough but just thot i would pass it on.

We will find out soon enough i would expect.

Total value of a Transfer has to be considered.

E.g A Transfer fee of £4m and a salary of £20k pw (Just over £1m per year)

Keep for 2 seasons = £6m roughly total cost

Transfer fee = ????? (Anything above £6m is profit.

In comparison:

A player like Johnson:

Transfer fee = 0

Salary = £40k per week

Keep for 2 seasons = £4m roughly total cost

Transfer fee = ??????? (Anything above £4m is profit)

Exactly the type of move we should be targeting as part of our aspiring transfer model. You cannot make lemonade with Turkey's. You need some good quality Lemons.
He'll likely command a pretty hefty sign on fee.

Problem is, im sure he takes either of those 2 rather than say 30k a week less to come to us
If your choice is champions League and competing for trophies with a similar financial package albeit bonus related v going to a basket case like Everton or a newly promoted side I think it's a split decision. Some will choose to stay in the premier league and some will think it's a more stable option to move.

A bit strange imo when we have Sterling as a back RB if required

Maybe there are legs in the Tavernier rumours
Sterling is nowhere near a capable replacement for Tav. He can at best cover in that position but I see him being a midfield player if he’s to be a regular with us.

Not sure I really welcome us looking at players being released by English clubs.

We need to move away from that market..it's lazy and it's not served us particularly well recently.
Great point and insight. Let's go with the following strategy:

Never sign anyone from championship because Dowel is shit
Never sign from epl cos Flo was shit and Givarch
Never sign anyone from France because Rodriguez was shit
Never sign anyone from Italy because maniero was shit
Never sign anyone from Belgium cos sakala was shit
Never sign anyone from Spain cos ortiz was shit
Never sign anyone from Croatia cos grezda was shit
Never sign a dutchman due to Lammers

West ham are a regular top 8-10 placed EPL side. Obv a standard way above the SPL so why not. Before anyone mentions Silva any signing is a gamble esp a 21yr old loanee

Sure we see his current wage and the pay rises he has allegedly rejected, throw in the fact another EPL team want him and surely it then becomes a total nonsense starter?

Sure we see his current wage and the pay rises he has allegedly rejected, throw in the fact another EPL team want him and surely it then becomes a total nonsense starter?
I'd imagine asking the question to his agents about his wages would have been as far as we got.

I remember him breaking through over the last couple seasons and he was very highly rated by all accounts. He's the right sort of profile of someone I'd be looking to target.

Although with the palace interest, they are in need of a new RB, so I can see the appeal of going to them.

It's just good to have a rumour at last tbh!

Not sure I would trust your judgement over big Phil.

I take your point however my gut instinct is someone that has managed 100+ games in the English Premiership has to be of a decent standard. It is extremely unlikely that anyone who is receiving a premiership salary will be coming to Scotland as even in the Championship the money on offer is spectacular. Nuts but spectacular non the less.

I remember him breaking through over the last couple seasons and he was very highly rated by all accounts. He's the right sort of profile of someone I'd be looking to target.

Although with the palace interest, they are in need of a new RB, so I can see the appeal of going to them.

It's just good to have a rumour at last tbh!

If it's true, it's also good at the standard of player we are targeting under Clement, on top of Diomande.

Good player. Can't see him wanting to leave the EPL at this stage of his career though. I suppose we would be looking at offering him a significant signing on fee to offset the drop in wages.

I can’t understand why people are so fearful of this. It’s as though we’ll fall apart if we replace him. That OF surely had to be the last straw for any sane fan.
Because seemingly Rangers Football Club can't do better than a right back we got from League 1 for 150k.

Good player - reads the game very well, decent passer of the ball and he's got the athleticism to compete in Scottish football.

The problem is that he's also Palace's profile of player and they need a RB. They can blow us out of the water financially and he may not even need to move house.

I can’t see this one happening if there is interest from the EPL. It depends on his appetite to play/ guarantees of game time here and whether he is willing to take a financial hit to play for us.

Rumours are West Ham were not willing to meet his financial demands or circa £60-75k per week, which suggests that he is outside of our pay structure and therefore a non-starter on that side of things.

I’d file this under doubtful and ambitious.

We haven't been signing players on a downward trajectory from those leagues in the main though, certainly not in recent years.

Bassey, Sterling, Cantwell, Dowell, Kent, Barker were all a good age with regards potential to improve when we signed them. Goldson was signed from a Premiership club and has undoubtedly been a success, regardless of his recent dip in form.

Lundstram was 27/28, so not terrible in that regard either.

Defoe and McCauley obviously were on a downward trajectory, but very few of us would consider the former to have been a poor signing.

I've not included loans or players like McGregor and Davis who knew the club.

Our hit rate there is probably favourable in the last 5 or 6 seasons.
I think we've been unlucky with Lawrence picking up such a bad injury to be fair, although Dowells injury record prior to signing was raised as a concern by plenty of fans beforehand.

Davies just baffling imo.

If your choice is champions League and competing for trophies with a similar financial package albeit bonus related v going to a basket case like Everton or a newly promoted side I think it's a split decision. Some will choose to stay in the premier league and some will think it's a more stable option to move.
Papers saying he is snubbing us for an epl team anyway so Id imagine its accurate that we couldnt come close to offering him sages he would take. Thats if we were even in for him.

Back