Rangers to open talks with Lundstram

If Lundstram wasn’t playing and we had Sterling beside Diomande, would we be any worse off?

Lundstram was good for a few months after Clement came in but I don’t think he does enough to justify the wage he’s on.

Sterling is a very different style of midfielder to Lundstram. I don't believe having him next to Diomande without a more defensive, playmaker type in there would get the best out of them.

Lundstram was our best player during our run recently, it's not outlandish to suggest that had he not been playing that could have affected results.

That's not to say we should definitely keep him - that'll come down to wage demands and all the rest, of course.

Yup at the same time there will be players in other leagues on half of that or less, that would get into our team and be as productive. Wonder what diomande would have been on in Denmark, I'm sure nowhere near 30k+ a week.
No, but he'll be on a lot more here than in Denmark, that's for certain. My point was you don't necessarily have to be a world beater to command 30k a week.

The teams that pay the most money tend to win things. Obviously, there's areas of the squad where wages spent is offering little or no return but that's true of every club in football.

30k a week nowadays doesn't get you what it did 20 years ago but dramatically slashing our wage budget will directly lead to a poorer quality of player in general, leading to poorer results and poorer return on investment on players.

If the rumours are true and Clement is aware of them then Lundstram should not be starting, in the same thinking that Barisic shouldn’t be in the starting XI

He's not good enough though. We can't just be giving players chances and giving up on the season.

It's up to Raskin to be better than others and he hasn't been.
I thought he looked a lot more hungrier last time he came on. Sometimes players need that kick up the backside to get started. Now he's not guaranteed a start he might come out of his shell imo.

I thought he looked a lot more hungrier last time he came on. Sometimes players need that kick up the backside to get started. Now he's not guaranteed a start he might come out of his shell imo.

I agree he looks hungrier and youre right anout the motivation of players but I don't think it's a kick up the arse thing for him. I think it's a talent thing.

Successful Rangers teams have starting midfielders who demand the ball in all areas of the pitch and keep it. He doesn't do that.

If you don't do that, you need to be tenacious, be able to hold your position and anchor the midfield. He doesn't do that.

If you don't do any of these things you need to have 10, 15 goals a season in you from midfield. He doesn't do that.

He just doesn't bring any particular skillset to the team imo.

I agree he looks hungrier and youre right anout the motivation of players but I don't think it's a kick up the arse thing for him. I think it's a talent thing.

Successful Rangers teams have starting midfielders who demand the ball in all areas of the pitch and keep it. He doesn't do that.

If you don't do that, you need to be tenacious, be able to hold your position and anchor the midfield. He doesn't do that.

If you don't do any of these things you need to have 10, 15 goals a season in you from midfield. He doesn't do that.

I get you he hasn't been impressive since being here. I was just thinking maybe the gaffer can get something out of him last few games to see if there's a player in there.

Could be wrong but I'd rather that than lunny farting about playing pedestrian football tbh.

Those suggesting we give Raskin a run until the end of the season seem to be forgetting that he is another who is made out of toilet paper. Seems to spend more time in the treatment room than the dressing room!

I get you he hasn't been impressive since being here. I was just thinking maybe the gaffer can get something out of him last few games to see if there's a player in there.

Could be wrong but I'd rather that than lunny farting about playing pedestrian football tbh.

Don't disagree with you at all on Lundstrum mate.

Yup at the same time there will be players in other leagues on half of that or less, that would get into our team and be as productive. Wonder what diomande would have been on in Denmark, I'm sure nowhere near 30k+ a week.

FC Copenhagen, Midtjylland, Brondby are all playing players £30k a week.
When we signed Diomande, Clement said. "It's not easy to get a player to Rangers from that team because there's a lot of competition.

Players on Bosmans can command higher wages it’s simple economics. If Lundstram had still been under contract at Sheffield Utd we wouldn’t have been able to afford him.

He’s as ready as any other 17 year old that every other team in Scotland doesn’t have a problem fielding.

Complete nonsense statement from Clement.

EPFL teams are fielding 15 year olds
How's it no nonsense if that's what he believes?

Maybe he's not ready as he has to improve.

He’s as ready as any other 17 year old that every other team in Scotland doesn’t have a problem fielding.

Complete nonsense statement from Clement.

EPFL teams are fielding 15 year olds
Irrelevant.

And how can you label that as 'nonsense' from Clement? He sees him every day in training etc, you don't.

Or we could play the best team as we can still win a treble by winning just 6 games of football.

If that includes Lundstram or Raskin, fine but this fascination that players need to be given chances to see if any good baffles me.

Im curious to know how a player shows they are good enough without ever being given a chance?

Training and match day are two very different things.

I agree mate but he's obviously not showing up well enough in training for the manager to put him in the starting 11.

He has a chance to change the managers mind during the week and he obviously hasn't done that. Clement is the best judge of that and his selections tell a story.

I'll be honest any time I've seen him this season he's looked absolutely miles off him and is another who you could best describe as doing his best work off the ball which is fine but when you're at Rangers that will only take us so far.

Sadly for the lad (and us) he now appears to be behind multiple players who aren't even natural central midfielders, and Lundstram who looks like he'll be away.

It's best for both parties if he were to move on in the summer in my opinion.

Different world to Istanbul where basically no one speaks English. Bit of a weird move for Lundstram.

Had a look at their team earlier and the wages they're paying out must be eye-watering.

Another game of trotting about, slow reactions, slow passing and had 3 really good chances presented to him with no pressure put on their keeper

Definition of going thru the motions

If he has signed a pre contract then we can't afford to play him in our remaining games, hopefully Ridvan is fit for next weekend and Sterling can play with Diomande in midfield.

I honestly have no idea why raksin can’t get a game ahead of him??? Not as if Lundstrum is great at breaking up the play spraying the ball about starting attacks beating the press can someone tell me why he starts? He’s match fit that’s all a have? Raskin might not be great but he’s a million times more technical than JL and can pass

Another game of trotting about, slow reactions, slow passing and had 3 really good chances presented to him with no pressure put on their keeper

Definition of going thru the motions

Lost the ball pretty much any time he tried to play a forward pass.

Our 2nd goal was a prime example of what a difference it will make with a new/better no.6 replacing Lundstram.
Diomande got the ball in that area of the pitch & given a bit of space played a cracking ball to Tav for him to cross for the goal.

It’s funny/chronic watching Lundstram try to run forward with the ball.

He’ll run a bit, slow down, run a bit more, slow down, run a bit more.

Like an old steam train running out of coal.

I honestly have no idea why raksin can’t get a game ahead of him??? Not as if Lundstrum is great at breaking up the play spraying the ball about starting attacks beating the press can someone tell me why he starts? He’s match fit that’s all a have? Raskin might not be great but he’s a million times more technical than JL and can pass
Raskin seems to have fallen away a bit and isn't favoured by Clement as things stand.

Sums it up perfectly. Hopefully we can get someone new for the same or less wages

Lost the ball pretty much any time he tried to play a forward pass.

Our 2nd goal was a prime example of what a difference it will make with a new/better no.6 replacing Lundstram.
Diomande got the ball in that area of the pitch & given a bit of space played a cracking ball to Tav for him to cross for the goal.
Lundstram would never pick the pas Diomande played for Tav. Lundstram needs dropped just like Goldson.

Back