Rangers to open talks with Lundstram

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's true that both Lundstram and Barisic have now signed deals with Trabzonspor, would it be unreasonable to bench them for the remainder of the season?

It can't be coincidence that Lundstram went from a POTY candidate to utter mince in the last 4 weeks, and it can only be because he's been preoccupied getting his next move lined up.

Bring Raskin in for Lundstram or put Sterling into centre midfield.

If it's true that both Lundstram and Barisic have now signed deals with Trabzonspor, would it be unreasonable to bench them for the remainder of the season?

It can't be coincidence that Lundstram went from a POTY candidate to utter mince in the last 4 weeks, and it can only be because he's been preoccupied getting his next move lined up.

In my experience when anyone has resigned/decided to leave any “job” they switch off to some degree, have less interest in their old position, and are more interested in their new position.

Is it the same in football? I don’t know, but when players are running down their contract there’s often a dip in performance & commitment so for that reason I would rather they didn’t play, but we don’t have a big/fit enough squad to leave them out.

If he is away I’d play Raskin until the end of the season, try and see if there is a player there.
What sort of criticism would PC come under if he didn't pick his strongest 11 because some were leaving at the end of the season?

He would be slaughtered for not picking players whose wages we were still paying.

You mention Kent and this maybe unpopular but I wish we had a Kent on the field today,just my opinion
We had a guy on the field yesterday whose actual numbers blow Kent clean out the water, it isn't even close, yet for a majority they can't wait to see the back of him.

I bet his numbers for this season are better than Kent's last 2 seasons, maybe even last three seasons.

He scores winners, doubles the lot. But we need better they say, he is never Rangers class.

Last edited:
Is it a coincidence that Lundstram doesn't look as energetic since perhaps agreeing terms in Turkey?

It's a move he may come to regret very soon though as very few British players last long in Turkey.

I won't be sad to see him go though - it's time for us to allow Clement to build his team rather than having to rely on guys he's inherited.

In my experience when anyone has resigned/decided to leave any “job” they switch off to some degree, have less interest in their old position, and are more interested in their new position.

Is it the same in football? I don’t know, but when players are running down their contract there’s often a dip in performance & commitment so for that reason I would rather they didn’t play, but we don’t have a big/fit enough squad to leave them out.
Of course it's the same and the evidence is before our eyes, Lundstrum has been absolutely dire.

Is it a coincidence that Lundstram doesn't look as energetic since perhaps agreeing terms in Turkey?

It's a move he may come to regret very soon though as very few British players last long in Turkey.

I won't be sad to see him go though - it's time for us to allow Clement to build his team rather than having to rely on guys he's inherited.

Subconsciously maybe he’s underperforming which is understandable if he’s signed a new deal elsewhere, but still not acceptable for a key member of our team.

He should be dropped & replaced with Raskin or even Bailey Rice. Let’s face it, neither can be any worse than Lundstram has recently.

Good luck in the future Scouse John but your time is up!

Wouldn't be surprised if we weren't willing to give him the money he wanted and there's been little interest down South by all accounts so I'm not surprised he has went down the Kent route for a quick pay day.

Subconsciously maybe he’s underperforming which is understandable if he’s signed a new deal elsewhere, but still not acceptable for a key member of our team.

He should be dropped & replaced with Raskin or even Bailey Rice. Let’s face it, neither can be any worse than Lundstram has recently.

Good luck in the future Scouse John but your time is up!
It is surprising how little game time Raskin has seen since returning to the squad (presumably fit) but I don't think Bailey Rice is going to come in from nowhere for our remaining games

It is surprising how little game time Raskin has seen since returning to the squad (presumably fit) but I don't think Bailey Rice is going to come in from nowhere for our remaining games
I agree, but he should be given the chance to be the mainstay of our midfield going into next season, we are certainly missing Scottish blood in our team.

What sort of criticism would PC come under if he didn't pick his strongest 11 because some were leaving at the end of the season?

He would be slaughtered for not picking players whose wages we were still paying.

On current form Lundstram shouldn't be in our best 11.

Give Raskin the last 5 games and if he doesn't show up we get rid in the summer.

Sounded like Clement was keen to keep Lundstram but maybe we weren't prepared to meet his wage demands.

Also doesn't look like Raskin, Cantwell or Lawrence are particular favourites of the manager so will be interesting to see what we do.

Sounded like Clement was keen to keep Lundstram but maybe we weren't prepared to meet his wage demands.

Also doesn't look like Raskin, Cantwell or Lawrence are particular favourites of the manager so will be interesting to see what we do.
We shouldn’t be handing out a three year deal on massive ages to a guy who will be 31 soon.

He doesn’t deserve it either

Bailey Rice must be given a chance, I imagine if he was still at Motherwell he would be the mainstay in their midfield.

I always think there is a valid reason players like this aren't given a chance, if Rice was shining in training and looked first-team ready logic would dictate he was given a chance, the fact he hasn't been tells me in the manager's opinion he is not first team ready.

I am astonished that anyone of a decent level wants to play there, it very rarely works out well.

The excuses being trotted out from some for Lundstram will be the same ones who reckon Jack should be getting a new offer.Both need to be surplus to requirements along with few others.

I'm not a fan of him when we're playing away. We need more people in and around the box to break down the shit teams, instead of just standing in front of the defence doing the job that they can also do which is set out and play the ball. Goldson (less so), Souttar and Balogun are all capable of carrying the ball and passing it forward.

It's worrying that Clement wanted him to stay. Red flag for me.

On this occasion I am glad the board have said no to his wage demands.

It's best for all parties that he moves on.

His time is well and truly done here and we need far better in midfield.

I honestly have no idea why raksin can’t get a game ahead of him??? Not as if Lundstrum is great at breaking up the play spraying the ball about starting attacks beating the press can someone tell me why he starts? He’s match fit that’s all a have? Raskin might not be great but he’s a million times more technical than JL and can pass
Raskin has about a 1/10th of the effectiveness of Lundstrum. He needs to be moved on. Btw I still don’t want to keep Lundstrum. Hard to understand what some folk see in Raskin, he’s awful, lacking strength and physicality.

In any other job, would u switch off if there was a large bonus involved.
Lundstrom, might never win medals anywhere else.
Can see it if there’s nothing to work for or play for.

C&P from the Daily Record

Lundstram and Barisic Rangers transfer grilling for Trabzonspor president forces coy admission

Ertugrul Dorgan says Turkish Super Lig club have "done the hard part'" but wouldn't confirm if either of Ibrox duo had signed.

Trabzonspor president Ertugrul Dogan responded to questions over a double swoop for John Lundstram and Borna Barisic by revealing they hope to have wrapped up their transfer business in the coming days.

The Rangers pair are both out of contract at Ibrox this summer and are widely expected to head elsewhere. Lundstram has been in talks over a new deal, but no agreement has been reached and his exit seems imminent. Reports claim the 30-year-old Lundstram will pen three-year deal with the Super Lig outfit and Barisic, 31, a two-year. Fans quizzed Dorgan directly on whether Lundstram and Barisic would be signing up for next season at a supporters event.

And the ambitious president replied: "It would not be right for me to confirm names here. Some are right, some names are wrong. But with regard to the names mentioned, I can only say we are working in coordination with the manager, Abdullah Avcı. We plan to complete most of the transfers for the new season in the coming days.

"The aim is to start the season with a ready-made squad that the entire technical team has approved for the pre-season camp. Therefore, we are progressing that aspect of the work quickly with our manager and his team."

It's early days, but Rice is not in the same league as the likes of Diomande or Sterling - that's the level of player we need in our midfield.
At this stage I’d maybe tend to agree but there’s definitely a space in the squad at least for him.

Raskin has about a 1/10th of the effectiveness of Lundstrum. He needs to be moved on. Btw I still don’t want to keep Lundstrum. Hard to understand what some folk see in Raskin, he’s awful, lacking strength and physicality.

he showed that last season when he came in - so much so that when he was out the midfield was a shambles

this season post-injury he's been a shadow of himself
but while form in his rare outings has largely deserted him - effort seemed not to
watching Lundstram chuck it so many times lately, i'd rather we played Raskin to see if Phil can get a turn out of him next season
rather than play a guy giving bare minimum, with a slight chance of a good performance who is already planning his packing for leaving it seems

I still think if Lundstram is going anywhere it will be Ipswich.

They've all but secured promotion. If that's an offer on the table, he would be silly to take the Turkish offer.

Although I will say, any news out of Turkey I'd always take with a pinch of salt.

Lundstram will not go in for any 50/50 tackles

Barisic really never has bar the odd decent tackle

If both have signed pre contracts you really have to question the logic to continue playing them

They will not risk an injury and their potential new contracts in Turkey

Play others who are committed to the club

The manager clearly wanted Lundstram to stay but he’s chasing more money or a longer length of contract elsewhere so we should realise this is a major issue and take him out of the team

Pity Ridvan is made of glass as he should be playing ahead of Barisic too but he cannot get for and stay fit for any decent run of games

Lets see their effort vs Killie - any evidence of less than 100% then drop them!

IMG-1416.jpg

Cut and paste from another thread. Our top ten players over the season so far.

Tav clearly so high with his penalty conversions, but is ranked second across all the leagues in Europe.

Interesting to see if Clement comments on this tomorrow, he has said several times that he expects a deal to be done with Lundstram but things seems to have progressed considerably with a move away.

Lundstram has been one of our better players under clement but his form has dropped considerably in recent weeks and over the course of his contract he has not done enough to merit a big contract.

he showed that last season when he came in - so much so that when he was out the midfield was a shambles

this season post-injury he's been a shadow of himself
but while form in his rare outings has largely deserted him - effort seemed not to
watching Lundstram chuck it so many times lately, i'd rather we played Raskin to see if Phil can get a turn out of him next season
rather than play a guy giving bare minimum, with a slight chance of a good performance who is already planning his packing for leaving it seems
He was a nightmare when he came in as well

He has potential but is not ready for being a starter.

He makes a lot of long decisions.

He just looked better when he came in as we went to moving ball into midfield instead of using the fbs so he was on ball more but never did anything with it

Interesting to see if Clement comments on this tomorrow, he has said several times that he expects a deal to be done with Lundstram but things seems to have progressed considerably with a move away.

Lundstram has been one of our better players under clement but his form has dropped considerably in recent weeks and over the course of his contract he has not done enough to merit a big contract.

"No news on that. Concentrating on Sunday's game" or something similar will be his response.

The only point I’d make to counteract that on Lundstram is his full career with us has been riddled with inconsistency so I don’t think it’s just the contract situation.

First 6 months under Gerrard were awful followed by a great 6 months under Gio. Then another dip under Gio before picking up a bit for Beale and then a terrible start to this season before picking up and dropping off again under Clement.

The guy has never been anywhere near worth what we’ve invested in him in wages.

But if we’ve got other options fit then yes, whatever the reason is he probably merits being benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back