Rangers to open talks with Lundstram

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only point I’d make to counteract that on Lundstram is his full career with us has been riddled with inconsistency so I don’t think it’s just the contract situation.

First 6 months under Gerrard were awful followed by a great 6 months under Gio. Then another dip under Gio before picking up a bit for Beale and then a terrible start to this season before picking up and dropping off again under Clement.

The guy has never been anywhere near worth what we’ve invested in him in wages.

But if we’ve got other options fit then yes, whatever the reason is he probably merits being benched.

Bang on the money

It's worrying that Clement wanted him to stay. Red flag for me.

On this occasion I am glad the board have said no to his wage demands.

It's best for all parties that he moves on.

His time is well and truly done here and we need far better in midfield.
Is it accurate ? And if so then you are saying you know better than Clement that’s not a bad level of confidence you have will give you that lol

PHILIPPE Clement has admitted “the water is too deep” between Rangers and out-of-contract John Lundstram amid reports the Ibrox midfielder is set to join Trabzonspor in Turkey this summer.

Clement has expressed optimism that former Sheffield United player Lundstram, who has been an automatic starter in his side when fit since he arrived in Govan back in October, will sign an extension on more than one occasion in recent weeks.

However, the Belgian indicated that the Glasgow giants and the Englishman, who is one of the highest paid players in the Scottish game, have been unable to agree terms on a new deal when he spoke at his pre-match press conference at Auchenhowie today.

Asked about the Lundstram’s situation, he said: “There is nothing official around that. I am not naïve, the longer that things last the more possibility that other people step in. But for the moment apparently the water is too deep between the two sides.

“But I see Lunny every day the same way that he was two months ago, three months ago, five months ago. He is fighting for the club. All these players are busy with winning trophies and doing the right things together. Otherwise they would not be in the selection.”

Reports in Turkey this week also suggested that Rangers left back Borna Barisic had also agreed to move to Super Lig outfit Trabzonspor along with Lundstram in the summer.

Clement did not provide any update on either the defender or the midfielder – but he did stress that he had no concerns about the commitment of the duo to the Glasgow club’s cause.

“There have been reports for months about a lot of players and a lot of things,” he said. “As long as nothing is official and I see the right things in the training and the dressing room, players are selectable.

“Borna will be in the selection from what I have seen until now. If he steps into the building tomorrow with another mindset that is something else. I don’t believe so. I see somebody who is serving this club already a long time and is really hungry for more titles and more trophies.”

Clement continued: “I see a good mentality in the six months together from the whole group,” he said. “There’s zero per cent chance that will change with these guys in the next two or three weeks. Why would it change? They’re fighting for trophies.

“If you don’t reach agreement with the club here you want to go in the best possible way and the best possible way is to win trophies. You want to leave with victories. They are determined. There’s no doubt about that and they’ve shown that it’s season also.

“They took the League Cup. They showed also after the disappointment of Ross County and Dundee. It was easy for them to keep their heads down and to be down from all the criticism. But they got up at that moment.

“They reacted against Hearts, the third best team in the league, and in the next game also (at St Mirren last weekend). There’s not one reason why anyone in the world would doubt that. They’ve proven enough what they want.”

Well there you have it. Wage demands too rich for what we feel is good value.

Doesn't need to be any drama, thanks for the memories and all the best.

Personally it'll be exciting to see something else in there. Hopefully a bit younger with more energy.

Exciting times as always when there's a turnover.

At this stage in his career I thought he wanted to be part of Clements plans.

He can’t expect to get that money and if it’s offered elsewhere then thanks and goodbye.

Purple patches are great but consistently it’s a no from me.

I know Clement sees him in training every day but we see him on the pitch every week. I don’t understand why Clement wants to keep him, unless he feels he is vital to the style of play he wants to continue with.

Brutal football and Lundstram has it down to a walking pace.

I know Clement sees him in training every day but we see him on the pitch every week. I don’t understand why Clement wants to keep him, unless he feels he is vital to the style of play he wants to continue with.

If Lundstram was a non-negotiable for Clement he would be getting his new contract. The fact he isn't speaks volumes.

If Lundstram was a non-negotiable for Clement he would be getting his new contract. The fact he isn't speaks volumes.

The handing out of massive contracts to guys with no resale value and their best days behind them had to stop at some point. Lundstram's just unlucky that it stopped with him.

Someone will pay him what he wants. I'm just happy it won't be us.

The handing out of massive contracts to guys with no resale value and their best days behind them had to stop at some point. Lundstram's just unlucky that it stopped with him.

Someone will pay him what he wants. I'm just happy it won't be us.
Oh absolutely I wouldn't have given him a new deal even when he was bossing games round about Jan/Feb.

It's more the Clement angle, obvious these comments are to try and cajole a few more performances out him and others, the fact nobody has resigned and now we're hearing the classic on hold until the end of the season line should tell you everything about what he really thinks.

Lundstram will not go in for any 50/50 tackles

Barisic really never has bar the odd decent tackle

If both have signed pre contracts you really have to question the logic to continue playing them

They will not risk an injury and their potential new contracts in Turkey

Play others who are committed to the club

The manager clearly wanted Lundstram to stay but he’s chasing more money or a longer length of contract elsewhere so we should realise this is a major issue and take him out of the team

Pity Ridvan is made of glass as he should be playing ahead of Barisic too but he cannot get for and stay fit for any decent run of games
Simply, play the best option on the day.

It's worrying that Clement wanted him to stay. Red flag for me.

On this occasion I am glad the board have said no to his wage demands.

It's best for all parties that he moves on.

His time is well and truly done here and we need far better in midfield.
I think you’ve got to question any comment a manager makes in situations like this.
There are things he cannot say, opinions and facts that he can’t divulge to the public.

Well there you have it. Wage demands too rich for what we feel is good value.

Doesn't need to be any drama, thanks for the memories and all the best.

Personally it'll be exciting to see something else in there. Hopefully a bit younger with more energy.

Exciting times as always when there's a turnover.

Agree.

The whole squad including a few senior pros needs a reboot.

Physicality, energy and mindset.

Failure seems to have become institutionalised.

Would take what the manager says publicly with a pinch of salt.

My hope, at least, was that it mostly was bluster to try to get the best out of Lundstram during the season

I think we've offered him a contract on significantly reduced terms - simple as that. He can get what he wants elsewhere thankfully
I'm more worried that if he'd have accepted the lower terms, he'd still have been a 1st team starter in a side that needs totally revamped.

It's not beyond possible that has he signed on again, he'd have been lining up alongside Tav and Goldson again too !

I'm more worried that if he'd have accepted the lower terms, he'd still have been a 1st team starter in a side that needs totally revamped.

It's not beyond possible that has he signed on again, he'd have been lining up alongside Tav and Goldson again too !
Yea fair point

Hopefully it was a token offer and he'd have been a squad player at best. Fingers crossed his Turkish offer gets signed

Oh absolutely I wouldn't have given him a new deal even when he was bossing games round about Jan/Feb.

It's more the Clement angle, obvious these comments are to try and cajole a few more performances out him and others, the fact nobody has resigned and now we're hearing the classic on hold until the end of the season line should tell you everything about what he really thinks.
In truth I’m a little surprised Clement is even talking about contract situations at this point in time. I’d have thought he would just dismiss it as something he doesn’t want to discuss because his and the players’ focus is 100% on winning the title.

With regards to Lundstram is sounds like he probably wanted a hike on his current terms and it doesn’t fit in with our strategy. That’s the good news. The bad news is that as a result we have a key player whose mind is at least in part somewhere else now.

Add in the news on Barisic, Silva, the rumours about Tav and Goldson and despite Clement’s words about focus and unity, I’m not really seeing that on the pitch in the same way I did at the start of the year.

When it comes to wages we have being pretty non negotiable with managers since 55

Gio wanted simons and doeki and both wanted bigger wages but went with cheaper options which cost us longer term ie simons would have made us the 6 mill easily back to psg and doeki would have replaced goldson though prob moved on by now

we have dumped good wages on matondo/lawerence/davies

Lundstram hasn't been anywhere near a failure as them

Even ridvan when he plays yes good which is small spurts then injured again

Our recruitment has been horrendous and squad manganese just as bad all we can hope is new dof and clement can change that

It’s one thing to not want Lundstram to stay another year. That’s fine. But some of the folk on here need to rein it in. The guy has been a good player overall and deserves better.
No he hasn't, he has been worse than garbage most of his time here, 2 purple patches is his highlight and seems to blind people.

He is deterimtal to the team and playing with 10 men would be better, his side passing, passing back to Goldson, and general dog shit play won't be missed.

In truth I’m a little surprised Clement is even talking about contract situations at this point in time. I’d have thought he would just dismiss it as something he doesn’t want to discuss because his and the players’ focus is 100% on winning the title.

With regards to Lundstram is sounds like he probably wanted a hike on his current terms and it doesn’t fit in with our strategy. That’s the good news. The bad news is that as a result we have a key player whose mind is at least in part somewhere else now.

Add in the news on Barisic, Silva, the rumours about Tav and Goldson and despite Clement’s words about focus and unity, I’m not really seeing that on the pitch in the same way I did at the start of the year.
It's a no win situation for Clement, he could string them along making false promises but then that looks terrible to the players that remain.

We know this squad is about to be broken up and that inevitable comes with a lack of togetherness.

I hope we have opened up a dialogue. If we have maybe we have provided him with the contact details for a couple of removal firms.

If his downturn in his form/ application/ attitude is related to a new contract it’s fucking unacceptable at anytime never mind at a critical stage of the season like this. If so he can %^*& right off now.
If he Tav and Goldson are all still regular starters next season Rangers will probably be looking for a new manager before Christmas

You worry too much.

When it comes to wages we have being pretty non negotiable with managers since 55

Gio wanted simons and doeki and both wanted bigger wages but went with cheaper options which cost us longer term ie simons would have made us the 6 mill easily back to psg and doeki would have replaced goldson though prob moved on by now

we have dumped good wages on matondo/lawerence/davies

Lundstram hasn't been anywhere near a failure as them

Even ridvan when he plays yes good which is small spurts then injured again

Our recruitment has been horrendous and squad manganese just as bad all we can hope is new dof and clement can change that

We agreed terms with Doekhi.

He chose the Bundesliga over the Scottish Premiership.

"Our previous manager Gio, who I would also pay tribute to for some big achievements in his time here, would also have the final say on every player who came in. There was one Dutch player who we agreed terms with over the summer who then agreed to join another club but that was the only Dutch player that the manager brought forward as one he’d like to bring in over the summer.”

Move on.

Seldom scores, seldom creates and also does not really stop the opponent that much either.

Some of the above aren't his primary roles but still would be useful if he could do.more of it at times.

We've centre backs already without him dropping in beside them.

Move on.

Seldom scores, seldom creates and also does not really stop the opponent that much either.

Some of the above aren't his primary roles but still would be useful if he could do.more of it at times.

We've centre backs already without him dropping in beside them.
I suspect that if we continue playing with a deeper midfielder, then we will continue to adopt this approach because it’s been a feature of our game no matter who the ‘6’ is for the past six years.

I suspect that if we continue playing with a deeper midfielder, then we will continue to adopt this approach because it’s been a feature of our game no matter who the ‘6’ is for the past six years.
Hardly been a roaring success and I'd be surprised if Gerrard, Gio, Beale and Phil all want to play the exact same way with him dropping so deep.

Worked in Europe Seville run
Waste of time Ross County.

The only time we won the league was before he came and our formation was very different with two tens and Jack Davis and Kamara in midfield much of the Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back