Match Thread Rangers v Celtic - 15:00 Sunday - BT Sport

We defo are getting closer but my worry is will it be in time to stop their 10 in a row and before an epl club tempts SG.

We can't even afford to think like that.

Yes they are Lording it right nows but a blind man can see we are small percentages away from them right now.

It's been a hugely disappointing week of course it has , but the reality is THE BIG PRIZE is most definitely still there for Rangers if we hang in there.

That’s true without it the cup was won by an offside goal
Yes, but, it denied us two more penalties.
Brown on Morelos was a stonewaller.
The shove on Morelos late on was a penalty as well.
Not a stonewaller like the previous two.
I thought we, as a club, would benefit from VAR quite a bit.

It does matter though. You dont shift responsibility

Morelos is second choice penalty-taker. Tav - as many on here are quick to remind us - has missed a few recently. It wasn't a difficult decision or the choice of a coward. I still feel Tav should have taken it but the rush from those on here who were calling for him to be relieved of penalty duties to jump on his back now is hypocrisy of the highest order (that's not aimed at you in particular but a more general point).

Morelos missed. Not only that it was a God-awful attempt that you or I could have saved. It may even have been decided pre-match that Morelos would take any, since he was standing on the spot waiting for Tav to come over to him.

The problem here isn't the decision - its the awful attempt from Morelos.

EDIT: In fact, it seems Gerrard has just confirmed Morelos was on penalties. Cue the 'oh he would say that, wouldn't he' posts.:rolleyes:

No it's not.

You step up as captain and put the penalty away yourself. You cant tell me one fan who was confident of morelos putting that away

I was. Thought tav made the right call given his recent penalty record and Alfie's current form. Can't believe he missed it.

Morelos is second choice penalty-taker. Tav - as many on here are quick to remind us - has missed a few recently. It wasn't a difficult decision or the choice of a coward. I still feel Tav should have taken it but the rush from those on here who were calling for him to be relieved of penalty duties to jump on his back now is hypocrisy of the highest order (that's not aimed at you in particular but a more general point).

Morelos missed. Not only that it was a God-awful attempt that you or I could have saved. It may even have been decided pre-match that Morelos would take any, since he was standing on the spot waiting for Tav to come over to him.

I dont think you should be changing penalty takers for a cup final but if Morelos has been told hes taking them what is Tavernier supposed to do? Tell everyone to piss off cos hes taking it? What if he then misses?

You should have heard the lady's front bottom at full time.....impartiality? My fkn arse.
Not a mention of the offside goal.
Missing that many chances and panicking when you miss a penalty with your opponents down to 10 men has absolutely nothing to do with luck. We weren't going to score today. Mentally weak and simply not good enough.

It didn't make any difference, but bringing Barker on instead of Stewart was really bizarre.
He is fucking rotten. Lost the ball everytime. Only time he has looked decent was with jobs and up against Tav.

I was. Thought tav made the right call given his recent penalty record and Alfie's current form. Can't believe he missed it.
What about the fact of morelos never taking a penalty that I can remember?

He might have a poor record of recent but hes just basically said he doesnt have the minerals to be a captain.

If that was a low pressure situation hes never giving the ball to morelos.

I dont think you should be changing penalty takers for a cup final but if Morelos has been told hes taking them what is Tavernier supposed to do? Tell everyone to piss off cos hes taking it? What if he then misses?

See my Edit - seems Gerrard has confirmed Morelos was on penalties today.

I think this defeat proves we're nowhere near a title winning side.

I get what you are saying but.........Today we were clearly the dominant side, the one on the front foot so we can say there is not much between the sides ability wise. However the Scum are winners, they know how to cross the finishing line and until we do doubts will persist.

If today was a boxing match, outside of their offside goal, we win on points by a mile. But concerns are there, we could not find the finishing punch despite a man advantage for final 30 minutes and that is a massive worry. Another OF game passes by without Alfie scoring, in a game where in all honesty he should have had at the very least a double.

This run of 3 games was always going to have a big say in how our season would shape up. Pittodrie was a dreadful display resulting in dropped points, seeing us now play catch up in the league. Now we have lost a cup final, a game we dominated, so the first 2 of 3 massive games in a massive week have not gone well. Thursday night is now an absolutely must win, for the players to show they can win the BIG games, the season defining games, failure to do so will bring back all the doubts of last season, that the weight of the Rangers jersey is just too much for some.

What about the fact of morelos never taking a penalty that I can remember?

He might have a poor record of recent but hes just basically said he doesnt have the minerals to be a captain.

If that was a low pressure situation hes never giving the ball to morelos.

Scored one against St Josephs I think.

He's now missed 2 out of 5 in his senior career.

EDIT: In fact, it seems Gerrard has just confirmed Morelos was on penalties. Cue the 'oh he would say that, wouldn't he' posts.:rolleyes:
Absolutely correct.
FF, at times, more faces than big Ben.

Can't win big games .Bottle merchants and losers
Dominated that game, not sure how they got away with running that clock down the way they did which killed any momentum we had left. Why did Stewart not get on when we needed a goal?
Thats how you manage out a game,Something we are completely hopeless at.If the shoe was on the other foot we would have conceded ,I've no doubt about that

I haven’t read too much of the match thread but, what the thing with the challenge on their scorer.
I still cannot see “studs raked down the Achilles”.

He certainly caught the back of his boot

Sutton begins with a verdict and works backwards from there. I genuinely can't think of another 'pundit' or ex-pro that is given such a platform to approach commentary in such a way.

As the game began he was making labored points about Alfie's disciplinary record, from last season obviously as the numbers/stats and contrast to this year speak for themselves.

He then goes on to complain about how he throws himself about after the non award of the penalty and then even used the term 'Brainless' at one point too

It was a fucking awful penalty.
Whoever decided to give it to Alfie got it wrong, pure and simple.
Why? Because he didn’t score. End off.

Absolutely sick to my stomach after that, probably the best i've seen Rangers play this season and once again not taking our chances has cost us big time, not having this shite either from those pundit wankers who as usual claim that the mankies were poor, they were totally outplayed today.

Only positive from today we won't have to listen to that wank Sutton anymore.

It was a fucking awful penalty.
Whoever decided to give it to Alfie got it wrong, pure and simple.
Why? Because he didn’t score. End off.

The problem wasn't the decision - it was the execution mate. You or I could have saved that attempt. That was our £25m man remember, getting a free hit at goal from the penalty spot.

No it's not.

You step up as captain and put the penalty away yourself. You cant tell me one fan who was confident of morelos putting that away
There weren’t many fans that wanted Tavernier to be the taker of a penalty today if we got one.
Personally, I didn’t fancy Morelos today.
For some reason, never have done.
That said, I never fancied Kenny Miller or Nacho Novo on them either.
More importantly though, Morelos fancied it.

A bad signing, he's just a poor footballer.

Watched him a lot last season playing for Preston, thought he was poor then & not seen anything to make me change my mind.

Complete waste of a shirt & wage.
The theory of Barker is giving you something like Kent .
Unfortunately in my opinion he has not settled and look anything like a Rangers player . . personally I would have had Stewart on who can hold the ball and turn players . All that said we did not look like scoring after our 1st half dominance..

But we cant get to that level on a consistent basis. If your aunt had bollocks and all that.
Nothing to do with aunties and bollocks.
Simply, we’re two points of the top and this is without getting to today’s levels often enough.
We’ve proven it can be achieved today and before today.

They show replays of both Morelos incidents, first one when Brown kicks out at Morelos he's thrown his self to the ground according to the wank known as Sutton, second incident in the box where Morelos is shoved in the back in the box, Sutton claims Morelos didn't need to go down and again went down to easily, this guys an absolute fucking tool and his hatred for Morelos is quite disturbing.

Extremely disappointing of course but we can take some heart from the way we dominated for the vast majority of the match.

Nothing to do with aunties and bollocks.
Simply, we’re two points of the top and this is without getting to today’s levels often enough.
We’ve proven it can be achieved today and before today.
We've also proven when we get to the top we inevitably shit the bed. When we get to the top and actually stay there, then we can start talking titles and cups. Today was a massive chance to put a marker down, we shat the bed yet again.

I think we made tactical errors when we had the extra man, we continually looked to go down our left and they loaded that area. When the ball did get to Tav on the right he didnt have anyone on the overlap to help him out. Playing Kent deep didn't work either.
To be fair to them they were well organised and were allowed to waste time effectively.

Aye that's why we are behind them sitting 2nd.
You don’t think we were better than them today? We are second but for a last minute winner for them against Hamilton we would be even. We aren’t getting the calls just now (Morelos pen v sheep and an offside goal today) ifs buts and maybes I know but I believe we are better than them. The tide is turning make no mistake.

I think you underestimate how much damage today will do to our players belief at what they can achieve. Momentum and self belief is everything in football
Disagree they totally wiped the floor with them that can inspire them to go on and win the title

Well hes just said Alfredo was nominated penalty taker, got to respect his answer but I don't know if he is covering for his Captain.. if the Gaffer says Morelos was nominated penalty taker then that's the end of that matter.

Why would take the ball & stand on the spot then? Bizarre.

Big call to change penalty taker today as well.

SFA officials ...hang your heads in shame. FFS even Tom English reckoned it was offside,

"Rangers will scream and holler about the illegitimacy of the winner - with due cause"

We've got the best finisher in Scotland sitting warming the bench. Surely we can devise a system where he plays alongside Morelos? We don't even play him against the lesser sides at home.

Done everything right today except score! By far the better team and the penalty should have been taken by tav! Gutted to lose but we were the better team! No shame in this Hampden defeat, unlike the last few seasons!

They show replays of both Morelos incidents, first one when Brown kicks out at Morelos he's thrown his self to the ground according to the wank known as Sutton, second incident in the box where Morelos is shoved in the back in the box, Sutton claims Morelos didn't need to go down and again went down to easily, this guys an absolute fucking tool and his hatred for Morelos is quite disturbing.
Morelos cost us today. Its all OK to try amd win freekicks but it was all he was interested. He literally watched the Celtic centrehalfs to barge into them rather than win the ball. I don't mind him looking for freekicks but the better option for the team was to win the ball and stay on his feet. To get pushed over by that wee diddy Johnston in the box when he could have got up for the header isn't right. He's got the natural attributes but he needs better decision making.

Back