Press Conference Rangers v Dundee - Pre match press conference

He doesn't mention Jack in that 11. I know he had some game time with the B-side recently so may seem him on the bench tomorrow. Otherwise, I'd guess at the following 11:

Butland
Tav King Davies Ridvan
Diomande Raskin
McAusland Dowell Silva
Dessers

with the likes of Cantwell, Jack, Roofe and Wright on the bench.
Who cares about Jack, he's been out all season and is on the way out the door, he shouldn't even figure in anyone's thoughts

Injuries are not an excuse but so many injuries...

If we had scored the first goal it's a different story...

We have more/won X compared with Celtic...

I like Clement but really he needs to ditch the nonsense attempts at justification of failure. He's not making the players look like anything other than they've proved themselves to be and it's starting to taint him.

He needs to be careful, very careful because bad results combined with nonsensical analysis of EE them only leads to one thing.
He's quite right to call out the injuries. Missing 9 players going away to a full strength Celtic is a massive ask. Even Man City would struggle missing those numbers.

The fact some of the support don't seem to be factoring that in shows this is nothing but personal rage about losing to them.

No team in any sport can deal with these injuries and those responsible for it, whether it's medical staff or those indentifying players who come with constant injury issues need chased.

Oh boy.
Just watched Phillipe's press conference.
Firstly let me say, in my opinion.

Any other manager, for any other club, outwith the old firm, saying exactly what Clement just said, would be recognized, as astute.Sensible in approach, and dealing with reality as it is.
But managing the old firm is not like that.
Both sets of supporters will never accept being second best to the other.
It just won't happen.
But let's be real. There is a gulf.That is where we are at right now.
Despite what Mr. Souness says.

This comment about how "brilliant" the players have been particularly Lundstrum, over the last few months.Is simply not true.
In fact for most of this squad, it has been the exact opposite.
In fact possibly as Dejon Sterling described it "shit"!

This squad blew a lead, to a bang average Celtic squad, that should have seen them over the line, and going for a historic treble.Not happy settling for second. Again!
No one .Ok, not many, are fooled with these adjectives.
To say that these players have been "brilliant" (Clement's words, not mine) seriously only opens you up to ridicule.Especially considering what has just happened.
So why does he say it?

Now I totally get in public why he has to defend these players, especially with the Cup Final still to play.And yet everyone will say behind the scenes he is ripping into them, and knows the reality.
But is he?
And does he??

His press conference before the old firm had him saying that he sees the "hunger in his players eyes" and "the desire" and "the passion to win" etc...
Then why didn't any of that transpire on Saturday?

I 'm still not sure he really knows these players at all.
Some of them, in my mind, could literally be classified as impostors.
And that has been going on for seasons!
And before anyone brings up the massive injuries we have encountered which of course has majorly impacted our squad, and results, his job is to motivate the players we have available.
And personally right now, I am not seeing that.

Apparently, according to Jermain Defoe certain individuals whom he is still close with (make up your own mind who that may be) are telling him, and I paraphrase "that the players would run into a brick wall" for Clement. Or whatever the expression he used. Literally giving him everything they can!
Really?
Or are we just getting fed this narrative, so they can once again stay at the club. Pick up a good wage.And come second as usual to our bitter rivals?

Some look like they would happily do this.
Sign another extension.Negotiate a wage rise, (probably) and amble a long as per usual.
Happy to beat the majority of crappy teams in a piss poor league, but once again, when it really matters, lie down and get their tummies rubbed when it comes to the old firm head to head!

I literally hoped after the start we made with Clement, that he would see through these players, and finally whittle out this malaise that has not only spread through out the squad. But is also evident it seems in the boardroom, and that second best is all we can achieve.And all we will be able to achieve going forward.

"Meet the new boss.
Same as the old boss" - P.T.

He sounds pissed off with some of the medical team
Aye, I wondered who that was directed at.
It can only be the Medical Team.

For those who haven't listened, he was asked about injuries and he made a comment about changes he needs to make but he was kind of questioning his decision to leave the required changes to the end of the season, rather making them when he came in.

The Big Man looked really pissed off

Aye, I wondered who that was directed at.
It can only be the Medical Team.

For those who haven't listened, he was asked about injuries and he made a comment about changes he needs to make but he was kind of questioning his decision to leave the required changes to the end of the season, rather making them when he came in.

The Big Man looked really pissed off
Ye it was a major point for sure . Someone’s going .

Not explicitly medical team it could be staff involved in the whole physical performance and maintenance and recovery flow at the club too

Last edited:
On the midfield issue his point was that you lose something from another area of the pitch if you move a body to midfield

He was asked whether he'd be relying on Lundstram for the final - he said he'd have to rely on everyone

People wanted Sterling there, but he would have done nothing to help us beat the press, which is the main issue against them.

He also was pivotal to the clear tactic of targeting their left back with balls to the back post. We scored and had another chance or 2 from that. That tactic is lost if we go with McCausland or Wright.

Just creating problems around the park and it's due to the shitty squad.

People wanted Sterling there, but he would have done nothing to help us beat the press, which is the main issue against them.

He also was pivotal to the clear tactic of targeting their left back with balls to the back post. We scored and had another chance or 2 from that. That tactic is lost if we go with McCausland or Wright.

True fair post .

Whereas if you have Sima available then you have at least the same threat at the back post and you can use Sterling elsewhere .
I’m hopeful this is all showing the board that investing in Sima is a pretty vital transfer option . However it does sound like the board haven’t confirmed what funds are available that’s how I interpreted his words anyway.
I liked that interview

Beat the press? We don’t even attempt it anyway, it’s lumped long every time.

So he wanted to let Celtic dominate the midfield on the off chance Sterling got a header at the back post? We needed a strong midfield 3 and no number 10. The fact he can’t see that is wild to me.

Beat the press? We don’t even attempt it anyway, it’s lumped long every time.

So he wanted to let Celtic dominate the midfield on the off chance Sterling got a header at the back post? We needed a strong midfield 3 and no number 10. The fact he can’t see that is wild to me.

Yes it's lumped long because we can't do it. We don't have players comfortable in midfield with an opponent up their backside. Sterling would have been included in that.

He was trying to find a way to win. This rubbish about Sterling in midfield wasn't going to help us much to do that.

Yes it's lumped long because we can't do it. We don't have players comfortable in midfield with an opponent up their backside. Sterling would have been included in that.

He was trying to find a way to win. This rubbish about Sterling in midfield wasn't going to help us much to do that.
3 old firm games in row where he has played a number 10 and all 3 games the midfield has been over ran. Something everyone has been saying. If you stop their midfield dictating then you have more chance of winning.

Instead we were lucky to be only 2-1 down at halftime and overall could have ended up conceding 6 or more.

Nothing justifies that midfield on Saturday especially starting Lawrence when he was terrible in the last game only recently. The fact we came out into the second half with Lawrence as part of a midfield 2 was bonkers.

People like to find excuses for Clement but all of the above is just bad management and shows he learned nothing from the previous games.

To add to the above. McGregor had 93 touches in the game. 93!

That’s more than our midfield 2 and number 10 combined.

His tactics allowed McGregor all the time in the world.

Butland actually touched the ball more than Diomande and Lawrence combined.

3 old firm games in row where he has played a number 10 and all 3 games the midfield has been over ran. Something everyone has been saying. If you stop their midfield dictating then you have more chance of winning.

Instead we were lucky to be only 2-1 down at halftime and overall could have ended up conceding 6 or more.

Nothing justifies that midfield on Saturday especially starting Lawrence when he was terrible in the last game only recently. The fact we came out into the second half with Lawrence as part of a midfield 2 was bonkers.

People like to find excuses for Clement but all of the above is just bad management and shows he learned nothing from the previous games.

We had as many good chances as them in the first half. We didn't have a great deal of the ball compared to them but Silva had 2 clear cut chances which should have both been goals. We had another chance from Sterling heading across the box.

They had one other clear chance from Kyogo and some shots from outside the box. It's not like it was the alamo they way some games there have been.

We could have course played Scott wright again, then when that didn't work slaughter the manager for that

He's quite right to call out the injuries. Missing 9 players going away to a full strength Celtic is a massive ask. Even Man City would struggle missing those numbers.

The fact some of the support don't seem to be factoring that in shows this is nothing but personal rage about losing to them.

No team in any sport can deal with these injuries and those responsible for it, whether it's medical staff or those indentifying players who come with constant injury issues need chased.
He sounds a little desperate there and it's not good.

Context applied still doesn't excuse the collapse of form as the pressure increased along with the expectations.

He ultimately stuck with people who had let him and Rangers down, it was aways going to catch up with him.

The injuries are well known and he's repeatedly spoken about it not being an issue because, as hes also repeatedly said, he's not someone to make excuses. He just gets on with it...

...until now, when people are beginning to question some of his repeat mistakes.

He sounds a little desperate there and it's not good.

Context applied still doesn't excuse the collapse of form as the pressure increased along with the expectations.

He ultimately stuck with people who had let him and Rangers down, it was aways going to catch up with him.

The injuries are well known and he's repeatedly spoken about it not being an issue because, as hes also repeatedly said, he's not someone to make excuses. He just gets on with it...

...until now, when people are beginning to question some of his repeat mistakes.
I thought he sounded completely in control.

Injuries are never excuses it is just basic player availability - take away a lot of your good players and you won't be as good a team, it's not rocket science.

We had as many good chances as them in the first half. We didn't have a great deal of the ball compared to them but Silva had 2 clear cut chances which should have both been goals. We had another chance from Sterling heading across the box.

They had one other clear chance from Kyogo and some shots from outside the box. It's not like it was the alamo they way some games there have been.

We could have course played Scott wright again, then when that didn't work slaughter the manager for that
I would have played the fvcking cleaner at RW if it meant he sorted the midfield out. No matter who was playing on the wing we were always losing that game with 2 midfielders.

Pretty much everyone said it as soon as the lineup was announced.

Or how about playing with no wingers considering we don't actually have any fit first choice wingers. Go with Silva alongside Dessers. He is too rigid with his formation and would rather play umpteen players out of position rather than actually change shape.

I like the way he spoke today, he also seemed genuinely affected by the loss of that match, and all that went with it.

I would have played the fvcking cleaner at RW if it meant he sorted the midfield out. No matter who was playing on the wing we were always losing that game with 2 midfielders.

Pretty much everyone said it as soon as the lineup was announced.

Or how about playing with no wingers considering we don't actually have any fit first choice wingers. Go with Silva alongside Dessers. He is too rigid with his formation and would rather play umpteen players out of position rather than actually change shape.

Aye OK you are right. Clements fault. Get him out as well

Aye OK you are right. Clements fault. Get him out as well
It's Clements fault that he went into the game with the same game plan as the previous 2 that didn't work. If you're happy with that then that's great but don't expect a different result in the final unless he changes things.

It's Clements fault that he went into the game with the same game plan as the previous 2 that didn't work. If you're happy with that then that's great but don't expect a different result in the final unless he changes things.

Even if he changes things, we are unlikely to get a different result unless we have some players back from injury.

Back