Richard Gough

Fantastic centre half & up there with the best of them. Bluenoses from different era's will have preference for others & that's fine & expected. Regardless, there are probably only a couple of dozen players in our Glorious History who truly merit the word Legend, Gough is one of them.

Best I have seen in over 35 years watching Rangers.

He was everything you could wish for.

Wish we could have cloned him !!

I mind Harry Redknapp trying to get him to West Ham, think Walter nipped in and took him to Everton instead.

Harry couldn’t believe how good he was, he waxed lyrical about him, ‘what a player’ he said twice in row.

No one posted the iconic photo of him in tears with the league trophy?

I mind Harry Redknapp trying to get him to West Ham, think Walter nipped in and took him to Everton instead.

Harry couldn’t believe how good he was, he waxed lyrical about him, ‘what a player’ he said twice in row.

No one posted the iconic photo of him in tears with the league trophy?
nintchdbpict000000863329.jpg

I personally think Butcher was the better player but as a captain and inspiration he is the best I’ve seen at our club. I am too young to remember John Greig though, he retired the year befit was born.

One of my favourite Rangers memories is him close to tears congratulating Ally after he scored against the darkside in the SC semi in 98.

An all time great.
Ahead of McKinnon but just behind Butcher.
I wasn't fortunate enough to see Young or Woodburn.

Been going since 87.

The best centre half and Captain we've had in that time.

His performance at the Piggery the night Van Vossen missed the howler is one of the finest I've ever seen. Goram took a lot of the plaudits for his performance that night including a brilliant penalty save at the death, but Gough was also immense.

He was the man I idolised growing up. I even copied his hair cuts.
I remember one tackle on Van Hoidonk (SP?) during the 9IAR season when he was almost certain to score and it was breathtaking. My dad celebrated like it was a goal.
The best I have ever and probably will ever see.

The best defender I've seen play for us and by a distance. I remember thinking that Colin Hendry would be a replacement for him (albeit a few years later) when in reality he couldn't lace his boots.

I was born in 1970, I'd love to see a better CH than him at Rangers, in the same vein I'd love to see a better goalie than Goram at some point as well.
Exactly the same mate, born in 70 and Gough epitomises what a Rangers captain should be, he should be the blueprint for all who wear the armband, a leader of men and a fantastic captain, and as a player he was non too shabby either, out of all our players in my lifetime if someone asked me to describe what a Rangers player should be....i would describe Richard Gough.

I was born in 1972. Richard Gough epitomised Rangers to me over his time at the club. A proper captain in every sense of the word. A gentleman and ambassador off of the park. A competitor and warrior on it. A true Ranger.

The best in my lifetime. Had telescopic legs, made tackles that were impossible for lesser mortals. Hard as %^*& and he told the SFA/Scotland lot to gtf when they tried to blame him and the players for the debacle in Portugal when Roxburgh and Brown screwed up and we lost 5-1. Colossus.

Simply the Best ..easy as that ..even named my son after him ..wee story ..after we won the league cup v the sheep ..King Richard and half a dozen of the players (usual suspects ) popped into the district bar around 8 ..place was bouncing and the players rightly so were enjoying a wee refreshment or 2 ..I was standing within earshot of them when KR rounded them up ..told them to enjoy themselves they deserved it but never forget who you are representing ..and off he went ..sheer class ..I had a tear in my eye

If you look up the word Ranger in the dictionary you'll find Richard Gough's picture.

He personified all that is great about our club both on and off the park. Oh for a Gough in the current set up

Old da would have said Woodburn

Butcher Or Gough best in my time with honourable mentions to

McKinnon
Forsyth
Jackson
Cuellar
Weir

Seen him play for Utd at tannadice against us , pretty sure they beat us that day and I believe he might have scored as well

For me the best CH in a rangers shirt in my living memory. I am 50. Also look a the defensive partners he had in that time the greatest compliment you can pay Gough is that I cannot think of many that did not have the best spell of their career playing alongside him.

Immense player and leader. We still lack that on the pitch at this time.

that's a great point as well Gough/Butcher, Gough/Brown rock solid.

also scored big goals v them and in cup finals

Simply the Best ..easy as that ..even named my son after him ..wee story ..after we won the league cup v the sheep ..King Richard and half a dozen of the players (usual suspects ) popped into the district bar around 8 ..place was bouncing and the players rightly so were enjoying a wee refreshment or 2 ..I was standing within earshot of them when KR rounded them up ..told them to enjoy themselves they deserved it but never forget who you are representing ..and off he went ..sheer class ..I had a tear in my eye

Great story FB, and shows what the man was all about.

My greatest ever Ranger.

Unfortunately I'm only old enough to really remember gough in his later years with us (say 95ish onwards), but even then he was a hero of mine growing up.

Question though for older bears - when was Gough at his peak? Would this be the 92/93 season? And at his best how did he compare with the other top centre halfs in the game, both British and European?

Unfortunately I'm only old enough to really remember gough in his later years with us (say 95ish onwards), but even then he was a hero of mine growing up.

Question though for older bears - when was Gough at his peak? Would this be the 92/93 season? And at his best how did he compare with the other top centre halfs in the game, both British and European?
I genuinely believed at the time, and do now, that he was one of the best in Europe when he was at his peak. We reaped the benefit of his dispute with Roxburgh/the SFA but I think he could have made a massive difference to Scotland around that time when we actually had a semi decent team. I mind sitting with my mate when USA 94 was on and going through the squads and we didn't pick out many players we could say were significantly better than Gough.

Back