Roy Keane

David Walsh in The Sunday Times today.

‘Listening to Roy Keane shoot the breeze with Gary Neville on a recent Sky Sports podcast, I thought about those who early in their lives developed an allergy to Keane. I felt sympathy for them. It wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration to suggest that Keane’s capacity to be boring may be the lowest ever recorded in a human being. And this was the former Manchester United captain at his most genial.

He was telling Neville about the early years at Old Trafford, times when he was a kid mixing with old-school pros. This was the era of Norman Whiteside, Lee Sharpe and others who knew their way round Manchester night spots. The young Keane enjoyed a drink and it was customary for a group of United players to hit the town after a midweek game.

United’s manager had his informants and more than once Keane was asked to account for his late-night movements. “Alex Ferguson pulled me many times going, ‘You were out in Manchester and got a taxi at 2.30am.’

“I would go, ‘Yeah, I did but it’s not breaking the 48-hour rule in our contracts.’

“I used to argue with him and then he’d ask, ‘How many drinks did you have?’

“Then I’d lie to him. I would say to him, ‘Maybe ten or eleven bottles.’ He’d reply, ‘Ten or eleven bottles?’ If only I told him the truth. That was every hour! You told the odd white lie as you’re going along obviously, but you’re having a laugh and getting away with it. I wouldn’t change any of it.”

By way of further explanation, he said they were young and they were having the time of their lives. Young men, doing the things young men do. They weren’t role models then and I don’t see that much has changed in this respect. Which is no bad thing.’

Nice turn of phrase in the first paragraph. :)

I think him and Martin O'Neil are pretty funny pundits. They don't seem to give a shit and don't try to be controversial for the sake of being edgy like pondlife like Sutton, Hartson, Stewart and Ferdinand.

Dont mind Keane.
Cant stand O'Neill though.
To me he comes across as a raging hypocritical ignorant bigoted lady's front bottom of a man

If you read either of Keanes autobiographies, he does not mention ever being a celtc fan growing up- Keane was or admits he was a Spurs fan not United or Arsenal or the paedos
So for that reason I don’t mind him , plus he did well at my English team as manager- I don’t love him or worship him but he is worth listening to

I would class Keane as one of the last of his generation, who bridge the old-style ‘win or lose, out on the booze’ mentality to the modern day where it’s all sports science and how your social media presence is performing.

He clearly holds himself and his team mates to very high standards and brings that winning mentality and professionalism to a team you want to see. When he talks about good groups being the difference, young players getting distracted and really caring about winning football matches, he is not wrong.

Think of how we as a support look up to the Gough’s, Ferguson’s and such likes who have a load of medals and probably acted in the same manner Keane did during his career to ensure success. Sadly, there are plenty of young players who now quantify success by luxury cars, their Instagram followers and the latest forgettable pop star hanging off their arm.

For every Keane, there will be 10 Jesse Lingaarrd’s and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s. Do I like the man, No, but I’d rather have a team full of his ilk than not.
Good post, I’d rather be in his team than play against him thats for sure.
That night in Turin jn the CL semi when he knew his yellow ruled him out of the final was a tremendous performance and definitely changed my view on him.

i really like the guy, he comes across as what you see is what you get, and his interview with Gary Neville is funny as well as honest.

Watched that dug walk thing with him and GNev on SkySports and it was really good, he doesn't bother me either way think he's quite dry and funny. Read his book years ago too and it was decent, particularly the insight into Japan 2002.

Back