Sam Lammers update

I’m glad it’s working out for him and we may get money for him.

Just not suited to our league he was poor for us.

Maybe it’s the pace of the game over there suits him.

His first successful spell since 2018/19 when he was on loan at Heerenveen.

The Eredivise with a mid level club with not too much pressure appears to be his sweet spot.

Struggled with the pressure at both ourselves & Eintracht and these moves (plus Atalanta) could be reasons why a club with demanding fans probably would have doubts about signing him.

Utrecht scoring record apparently, first player for them to score seven games in a row in the Eredivisie.

Absolutely the definition of "there's a player in there".
Was it settling in a new country/the "unique" style of football in Scotland? Unable to cope with the demands of playing for Rangers? Or was it unable to cope with the binfire that was Beale's tactics where he was out of position and like everyone else absolutely baffled at what they were meant to do on the pitch?

Either way I can see an argument for re-couping our money off a Dutch team or giving him a chance under a pre-season of Clement and hopefully surrounded by better players next season.

No surprise that he's having another purple patch now he's back in Holland, having his most productive run of form since his Heerenveen days.

Seen a story on some football site that said Feyenoord are monitoring him, but no idea how reliable "One Football" are. Still, he's just set a new scoring record in the league, so we won't be short of interest.

if a rumour circulated that we were signing a dutch striker who had scored 8 goals in 7 games we'd need to super charge the hamster for FF

And then he gets here and we realise he can't handle the pressure of a huge club who needs to win every single week and compete for the league title, two cups, and in Europe.

And then he gets here and we realise he can't handle the pressure of a huge club who needs to win every single week and compete for the league title, two cups, and in Europe.
Agreed, good he’s doing well as it increases our chance of a decent fee
But he was pish for us, end of story

His first successful spell since 2018/19 when he was on loan at Heerenveen.

The Eredivise with a mid level club with not too much pressure appears to be his sweet spot.

Struggled with the pressure at both ourselves & Eintracht and these moves (plus Atalanta) could be reasons why a club with demanding fans probably would have doubts about signing him.
Pressure at ours? Come on TD maybe he caught this from all our other supposed sufferers?

Sometimes certain leagues and played out of position has an effect doesn't suit a player?

If we could recoup 1/2 what we paid for him id be happy,hopefully will be more.

Pressure at ours? Come on TD maybe he caught this from all our other supposed sufferers?

Sometimes certain leagues and played out of position has an effect doesn't suit a player?

We can be a difficult fanbase to play in front of and it takes someone who has the right character to do so, we have had plenty of players who've failed in that aspect and he's one of them.

Certain leagues do suit certain players and the Dutch league with the correct team suits Lammers well as he's showing at Utrecht and did at Heerenveen when on loan there.

Lammers couldn't cope with the physicality of our league and it's no surprise to me he's gone on and played well back in his homeland. He's now playing in a team who don't have the pressure of having to win every game and the massive peaks and troughs of fan hysteria that accompany our results.

Having said that it might have been interesting to see him play as a 9 for us.

We can be a difficult fanbase to play in front of and it takes someone who has the right character to do so, we have had plenty of players who've failed in that aspect and he's one of them.

Certain leagues do suit certain players and the Dutch league with the correct team suits Lammers well as he's showing at Utrecht and did at Heerenveen when on loan there.
I don't think he has failed due to our difficult fan base at all! For me it is down to shape of the team and being in your proper position along with regular football! Until or if I get to see this I cannot say I could rate him fairly with confidence as with any player! Lundstram classic example of needing time at the beginning!

I have said previously my friend that the league suits him because their teams try to play football so leave spaces!

Yes sometimes leagues suit certain players however I will draw your attention to Lammers as with a few others who may have had more success playing out of position that that in itself could also make it time consuming for some players to settle!

He is playing in his natural position now and regular and being successful! Due to wearing our jersey the odds are high for injuries getting booted here and there which lends itself to a few of our players having to play out of position!

Found form? Maybe played in his own position helps and he is in a league that teams play football and don't use the backs against a wall tactics?
Mate he's far too powder puff for our league. Fact of the matter is we do play against teams that are back to wall tactics. He had scored something like 9 goals in 3 years previous to coming to us. He should never have been signed in the 1st place.

I’ve a feeling Utrecht will be looking for a bargain and won’t pay the fee we signed him for.

Is his form attracting any interest from elsewhere?

In a parallel universe, if his 8 goals in the last 7 games were in a Rangers jersey, we’d be clinching the league with a win at home to Kilmarnock on Sunday.

B-D

Crazy how short people's memories are. He's scored more goals in the last 7 games than he did in the 4 years prior. He's on a purple patch ATM but realistically that will end and he'll revert to type sooner rather than later. Glad he's found some form and it'll help with a permanent move but ultimately he's just not very good.

Please for the guy but would happily take the money and run.
If he was 20 years old, then he would be worth keeping but at 27, it is just a purple patch.
Remember Van Veen??? 1 good season and everyone was dribbling over him, a season later he is warming Kilmarnock's bench after failing in lower leagues on the continent.
It is a funny old game and it just shows every league has different demands and required skill sets and Sam couldn't match our demands.

I don't think he has failed due to our difficult fan base at all! For me it is down to shape of the team and being in your proper position along with regular football! Until or if I get to see this I cannot say I could rate him fairly with confidence as with any player! Lundstram classic example of needing time at the beginning!

I have said previously my friend that the league suits him because their teams try to play football so leave spaces!

Yes sometimes leagues suit certain players however I will draw your attention to Lammers as with a few others who may have had more success playing out of position that that in itself could also make it time consuming for some players to settle!

He is playing in his natural position now and regular and being successful! Due to wearing our jersey the odds are high for injuries getting booted here and there which lends itself to a few of our players having to play out of position!
you would've convinced me of your argument if you had used more exclamation marks!

This will be the least popular post I’ve put on here as people had absolute blinkers with Lammers imo. He had some really poor games/moments for us but he looked every inch a player who just hadn’t/couldn’t settle in both Scottish football and at Rangers where the fans are demanding.

I remember watching the home game against PSV and saying to my brother after he came on that he was the only player in our team who would get a game for a ball heavy possession team like PSV were that night. And that was a night he did nothing of note in his sub cameo but the one thing he had was a touch, calmness to then pick the right pass and move. Probably no shock he looked completely comfortable against a Dutch team and no shock a Dutch player had that technically sound look about him. That style of game would be his comfort zone. Unfortunately for us when the game get stretched and sped up with an element of violence in it he had a habit of disappearing or looking like a rabbit in the headlights.

Or he couldn't work to Beale's tactics or being played out of position. Who knows,

Lammers couldn't cope with the physicality of our league and it's no surprise to me he's gone on and played well back in his homeland. He's now playing in a team who don't have the pressure of having to win every game and the massive peaks and troughs of fan hysteria that accompany our results.

Having said that it might have been interesting to see him play as a 9 for us.
Why can't someone like Lammers cope with it, but the mentally challengeds forward who is built like a fiver can run around scoring for fun?

This will be the least popular post I’ve put on here as people had absolute blinkers with Lammers imo. He had some really poor games/moments for us but he looked every inch a player who just hadn’t/couldn’t settle in both Scottish football and at Rangers where the fans are demanding.

I remember watching the home game against PSV and saying to my brother after he came on that he was the only player in our team who would get a game for a ball heavy possession team like PSV were that night. And that was a night he did nothing of note in his sub cameo but the one thing he had was a touch, calmness to then pick the right pass and move. Probably no shock he looked completely comfortable against a Dutch team and no shock a Dutch player had that technically sound look about him. That style of game would be his comfort zone. Unfortunately for us when the game get stretched and sped up with an element of violence in it he had a habit of disappearing or looking like a rabbit in the headlights.
The Lammers, Dessers, and Danilo signing's said more about the incompetence of our recruitment team than it does the players themselves.

All three of them have struggled, and struggled badly. They are completely unaccustomed to the demands of Scottish football, and all three lack that element of aggression and competitiveness in their game. Given our limited funds and the importance of due diligence at the time, to get it so spectacularly wrong not once, but three times, I find utterly astonishing.

To make matters worse, all of them have given very little encouragement they can or will adapt. That for me includes 20 goal Dessers who continues to display the same frustrating weakness in his game now that he's done here from day one.

i feel a bit sorry for him
he was in a team out of position with players out of position no one really had a clue what they were meant to be doing including him clearly he has skill

i do doubt he is good enough for Rangers but Beale didn't make it easy for him to show it that's for sure

All the best to him but it's a purple patch and won't last. We saw with our eyes how wasteful he can be in front of goal.

Why can't someone like Lammers cope with it, but the mentally challengeds forward who is built like a fiver can run around scoring for fun?
Different mentalities I suppose - some guys will cope with the physical side of things while others don't like it and don't adapt.

We need a striker who can hit the ball first time while a lot of those we have and have signed need an extra touch are tackled and as a result lose control or don't get their shot away.

Lammers likes to cut back a lot, Dessers likes to beat his man dwells too long before shooting while I haven't seen enough of Danilo to comment yet.

While for them Kyogo scores a lot of goals from a first time strike.

That's my opinion anyway.

They just have better scouting than us.

Even look at the last few weeks. They can bring in Forrest who has been there for years as a back up player and he gets a few goals and assists. We're bringing on Scott Wright who offers nothing at all.

The difference between 1 point away to Ross County and Dundee and 6 points is that we don't have people who can step up and contribute with assists and goals. We dont have that because our decisions in the transfer market have been atrocious.

Supporters maybe not helping by not giving players a chance. Lammer's reaction when he scored against Dundee was telling and Dessers has made reference to the fans not liking him in some interviews. Not that out support will make them better players but we can't be helping with the overwhelming negativity.

In a parallel universe, if his 8 goals in the last 7 games were in a Rangers jersey, we’d be clinching the league with a win at home to Kilmarnock on Sunday.

B-D
Was just reading through this thread and thinking why can't the likes of Wright or Silva go on some random scoring run out of nowhere.

If they have no money to buy him, im pretty sure we should be doing some sort of upfront fee plus add ons or swap deal, ive gone ahead and done the scouting(using youtube skills videos):

Taylor Booth, 22, USA capped, right winger, out of contract 2025. Ticks a few boxes comes with a bonus knee injury right now so clean sweep.

The Lammers, Dessers, and Danilo signing's said more about the incompetence of our recruitment team than it does the players themselves.

All three of them have struggled, and struggled badly. They are completely unaccustomed to the demands of Scottish football, and all three lack that element of aggression and competitiveness in their game. Given our limited funds and the importance of due diligence at the time, to get it so spectacularly wrong not once, but three times, I find utterly astonishing.

To make matters worse, all of them have given very little encouragement they can or will adapt. That for me includes 20 goal Dessers who continues to display the same frustrating weakness in his game now that he's done here from day one.
I don't think Dessers lacks aggression. He puts himself about well enough for me. It's just he's as likely to lose the ball in the process. Lammers, by contrast, has great feet but lacks the aggression needed. If only we had a player with the attributes of both.

Back