Scott Wright

Young lad in his twenties, just married, on a good rate for the job with a year still to go, knows that the next job won’t pay so well. Why on earth would anyone expect him to move.
Regardless of what any of us think of him as a player, we gave him that deal. Maybe he should become an agent after he stops playing.

Two years ago? You can laugh all you like, because I have actually backed Scott Wright before, many times, and you can check that anytime, but are we really going to lean on what he did two seasons ago, right now? I might be wrong, but remind me, if you can, this season, where he has impacted the course of a game.
I laughed at your one line post, and again when I went back and read it again.
“ another player who doesn’t make an impact on a game “
Answer, he won the cup. Impact.
The rest of the other post means nothing.

I don't recall Scott Wright even being a stand out for Aberdeen, we paid to get him six months early as well.

There's surely got to be someone in our academy who could contribute more than him - they'd only need to contribute slightly more than nothing.

Scott Wright is an undercover agent for the sheep.

Nobody can be that scared to hold on to 5he ball.

Full 90 mins
2020/21
Cove Rangers (h) 4-0

2021/22
Malmo (a) 1-2
St Mirren (h) 2-0
Alloa (a) 3-0

2022/23
Ross C (h) 4-0
St Mirren (a) 1-1

2023/24
Ayr U (h) 2-0

112 appearances 34 starts 78 as a sub

Subbed off 27 times, 8 of those at half-time.

I laughed at your one line post, and again when I went back and read it again.
“ another player who doesn’t make an impact on a game “
Answer, he won the cup. Impact.
The rest of the other post means nothing.

Scored a great goal in the Cup Final it should be said. My point is more that we have quite a few players who do very little in a game right now, and he seems to be one of them.

I made a joke the other week when Wright emerged from nowhere to start in the must-win Old Firm game, that at least it meant Clement didn't have a headache of deciding who to substitute later in the game, however it got me wondering...has Scott Wright ever actually played a full game for Rangers?
It feels like there are certain positions that are open to substitutions and others that are just not. Part of our problem is that we know who's being subbed off before a game even starts.
And if performance alone was a parameter, you'd see subs for other positions made. Be as well tossing a coin in some cases.

He was struggling to get a game with the sheep but we still signed him.

A blind man could see what was going to happen regarding his Rangers career.

Watson, Mayo and Armstrong at Killie would offer more than Jack, Davies and Wright.
The wages we pay needs to start offering more on the pitch, consistently getting it wrong.
Clements only (due to be) permanent signing in Diomande holds well for the summer
100% would all get stuck in too.

He was struggling to get a game with the sheep but we still signed him.

A blind man could see what was going to happen regarding his Rangers career.
I agree it was an odd signing at the time and wonder if the lad Barron is potentially just as odd if we sign him

I wouldn't say the lack of full 90 minutes is an issue. We do tend to sub our wingers a lot so him going off when he starts isn't too unexpected.

Unfortunately the issue is that he's playing at all.

Young lad in his twenties, just married, on a good rate for the job with a year still to go, knows that the next job won’t pay so well. Why on earth would anyone expect him to move.
Regardless of what any of us think of him as a player, we gave him that deal. Maybe he should become an agent after he stops playing.
Exactly. He’s going no where unless another bumper deal pops up. He’ll be a free agent in a year or so and he’ll be able to make the most of his situation then. We gave him the deal he’s on and he’s entitled to see it out. I would prefer he moved on to free up wages because I doubt he’ll be on the park next season and I can’t imagine that will do his career any good. But it’s up to him.

I don't recall Scott Wright even being a stand out for Aberdeen, we paid to get him six months early as well.

There's surely got to be someone in our academy who could contribute more than him - they'd only need to contribute slightly more than nothing.
My best pal is a sheep and he could t believe it when we signed him. Jack he got but not Wright. He did for them exactly what he does for us. Runs about really quickly, generally anonymous when he plays a full match and, more often than not, makes the wrong decision in the final third.

He’s nowhere near our level yet has got far more game time than he should have.

Generally contributes little and his numbers are terrible.

Please take a fukin day off ya miserable, moaning faced tadger! :)

Every fukin thread - I've never put anyone on ignore, you're leaving no choice.

We've still got a treble to fight for, you can spend your whole summer moaning to your hearts content, if and when it's gone.

Scott Wright is a squad player who always gives 100%.
Is he good enough to be a regular starter for Rangers? Obviously not and he never has been, but he's helped us win trophies and reach the EL final.

Try being a supporter for one day, or just take a fukin day off. You're stinking up every thread with your constant negativity. Edited to add, as are a few others.
You see a Scott Wright thread and you expect it to be what? Positive ?

He was a baffling signing at the time, he wasn't completing 90s for Aberdeen when we signed him.

The fact he has continued to be an option is the fault of those in charge of recruitment. He can only turn up when picked and give it his best
He was a player with potential that never kicked on

Will remember him for the scott Wright hampden cameos and that layoff against leipzig

Shame how it's worked out really.

He's the most nothing player I've ever seen.

Part of Tavernier's problem in that first half against Celtic (where he was awful himself) was that he had Wright hiding in front of him when he was being pressed and needed an option.

The decision to pick Wright that day changed my view on Clement. I'm not sure how much more a Rangers manager can get it wrong by than picking Wright (and Tom Lawrence) in a must win OF.
Starting Wright in that game was alarming - the type of decision that shakes your confidence in a manager.

He huff, puffs, produces nothing, gets subbed (half time in that game)

Each time he’s selected there are posts saying “hopefully Wright can show what he can do” - we know by now - it’s nothing.

The fact that he’s still getting game time with us is hugely frustrating, demonstrates the poverty of our squad and evidence that we still need a massive clear out in the summer.

This is underplayed but Gerrard gave him a bloody 5 year contract. He has clearly decided he’ll see that out and make hay while the sun shines. No way was a random punt from Aberdeen worthy of a 5 year deal
Gerrard could do no wrong at the time but random signings like Scott Wright are nonsense.

Actually puts supporters off going for decent spl players who probably have a better end product than him.

Just comparing them to Scott Wright. Lazy comparisons but will be compared nonetheless.

Not good enough, but an absolute whipping boy for some of the support.

He plays when called upon. It’s not his fault.

Couple of great goals at Hampden too.

I really don't know what to think of him.

He has scored when we needed a goal at times. He is not consistent but just the odd chance he will do something, like score. :))

Part of the squad so fair play to him for sticking in, head down and getting on with his job.

Wright's never hit the heights we hoped he would and has overstayed his welcome by a year or two, but considering he was a punt on a free from Aberdeen I don't think we can really say he was an unsuccesful signing, and I say that as someone who's heart sinks when I see him on the team sheet these days.

If every squad player we got could end up with 100+ appearances, a winner in a cup final and two steady enough performances in a European semi & final I think we'd all take that. He's not developed enough and it's time for him to move on, but give me 100 Scott Wright's over the Grezda, Barker and Jordan Jones of the world

Not good enough, but an absolute whipping boy for some of the support.

He plays when called upon. It’s not his fault.

Couple of great goals at Hampden too.
What a hero. The courage it must have taken to get the boots out and play some football for his £10K a week!

We need to remember we need a squad which has guys like Scott who will be on low wages , are home grown and will be available when needed.
I admit I think Arfield would have been better being kept in but I think Scott has good attributes when coming off the bench, he runs at tired defences and can hit the byline. I like him as a squad player .

Back