Some of these players likely to move are part of the Scottish quota
McLaughlin
McCrorie (maybe)
Devine (maybe)
Ryan Jack
Scott Wright (hopefully)
Leon King (possibly)

Personally I think King and mcrorie may still have future at the club
But with a significant rebuild at the club close does any Scottish players come to mind ?

Lennon Miller - replace the outgoing lunny
Watson - other possible Lunny replacement
Danny Armstrong - upgrade on Wright
Connor Baron - ready made replacement for Ryan Jack
It's probably time as a club when we have a Scottish spine and not Lower league English spine mixed with some forgein players
What does eryone think ?

We have Wright's replacement in McCausland he helps the club trained quota for next season as he turns 21 in July. Lowry would be another to contribute to that quota figure as he also turns 21 but whether he has a future with us is questionable I don't think he does but we will see. Armstrong wouldn't be anything more than a squad player for us anyway McCausland is more than capable of playing that role it allows us to divert the funds to a player of better quality for that position.

McCrorie needs to move on for the sake of his own career unless he's happy to play number two for the rest of his career. Would have thought he would have left in January to be honest so he could try get in the Euro squad given he's been in squads this season.

Barron would probably make sense given he's a free transfer but is he really a first team starter for us or just another squad player?

He looks a talent for sure. I think I’ve read that what’s holding Rice back is his work off the ball. That’s a fairly common theme with all youngsters though I think. The likes of Motherwell can gamble on letting youngsters learn that in the top flight. I’m not so sure we can, not until we are regularly dominant again.

Give them a chance though, and you never know. When the B Team games were regularly shown on RTV I don’t think any of us would have picked out McCausland as one to break through. In fact, I thought he might have been moved on last Summer. He got his chance and he grabbed it. Whether he can stay in and around the First Team is debatable but he’s given himself a chance through Stevie Davis giving him a chance.

Hopefully Rice gets some early season game time before going on a decent loan.
I completely agree with you, word for word mate.
Not only can Motherwell or the likes gamble on throwing them in, finance dictates they haven't got much of a choice to do so either.
It's a very difficult one on when they get their chance I suppose, Ross got in because of injuries in his area of the pitch, much more difficult in a congested central midfield, one of the main areas of the team too, but like you I hope he does get a chance and also a loan to even a Motherwell as part of a deal for Miller or Watson would be beneficial for all parties. Just no Dundee.

Are you happy to win nothing ever again?

Because with a Scottish spine of those players thats whats going to happen OP.

Complete fantasy!
This is nonsense tbh!

First thing Walter did second time round was bring in Scottish players and we had big core of Scottish players in the squad

Even Broadfoot was brought in.

We absolutely should be hovering up the best Scottish talent there is and complimenting with talent from elsewhere.

Barron is a great shout.

Lennon Miller and Watson have clear talent but perhaps need a bit of time to develop yet.

I would look at the two Dundee midfielders Luke McCowan and Lyall Cameron. However we must start to give our own youth players a chance. Bailey Rice , Lovelace and McKinnon. McKinnon in particular if we are not going to give a chance should be sold as he is a bit older.

Quite simple really. He's not good enough at 17 years old to feature in our first team. Much like Watson or Lennon Miller.

If Rice was at a Motherwell or Kilmarnock, he'd probably be playing every week.

This all day mate.

The 3 of them played midfield for Scotland 19s against Italy 19s last month and never got a kick.

3 of them miles off being able to start for rangers

The runners up thing you could have a point with tbh. Maybe not just go for Scottish players but players that have won titles in other countries like the bheasts done with the Japanese players maybe? Well off topic mind you.
Yeah I just mean that the Scottish players already know that at Rangers you have to win, runner up is no use. Where in the English championship you don’t have that pressure of expecting to win every game

I think Watson is good enough at this stage to feature in our first team tbh.
I really disagree with you to be honest. I'm not saying the lad won't go on to be a good player but there's a world of difference between playing for Kilmarnock and playing for Rangers.

For an 18 year old to hold down a place at an old firm team, they would have to be an exceptional talent. The only one I can really think of in the last 30 odd years is Kieron Tierney.

You missed McGregor mate, but my post said exactly that
Yes , I missed a couple more also if you count the likes of Ross Mccrorie and Halliday at the start of Gerrards time . But I was just making the point that Gerrard wasn’t really bothered about the Scottish core idea. Just get the best players in that we can afford. I’d love to see more top class Scottish players playing for us though.

Jon McLoughlin doesn’t qualify as Homegrown.

I thought there was noise that this rule was being abandoned?
I’m torn as I’d like to see us have a Scottish core but we have really struggled to bring players through from the Academy to first team.
Ye the suggestions have been the rule will be revoked which is for us good news .

I really disagree with you to be honest. I'm not saying the lad won't go on to be a good player but there's a world of difference between playing for Kilmarnock and playing for Rangers.

For an 18 year old to hold down a place at an old firm team, they would have to be an exceptional talent. The only one I can really think of in the last 30 odd years is Kieron Tierney.
Yeah I see what you are saying, I am not saying he would be able to nail down a place but he would for me be in and around our team atm based on how our midfield has performed at times this season coupled with injuries and with that he would be gaining experience at this level.

Yeah I see what you are saying, I am not saying he would be able to nail down a place but he would for me be in and around our team atm based on how our midfield has performed at times this season coupled with injuries and with that he would be gaining experience at this level.
Can't see us being in a position to spend probably a significant chunk of our budget on essentially a project player. We've got far too many issues to address first.

Maybe if we made a big sale but that's not looking likely.

My best mate is ‘in with the bricks’ at Motherwell. He tells me they will be looking for at least £3m for Miller. Whether they get offers in that region remains to be seen.
Assuming that is if LM transfers this Summer ? Not sure he will and another year on it’s an unknown isn’t it because he is still recovering from injuries and should he show string torn next season , or nit , then the valuation would reflect that too

Edit : is this correct that he is OoC June 2025 https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lennon-miller/profil/spieler/924857

This is nonsense tbh!

First thing Walter did second time round was bring in Scottish players and we had big core of Scottish players in the squad

We absolutely should be hovering up the best Scottish talent there is and complimenting with talent from elsewhere.

Barron is a great shout.

Lennon Miller and Watson have clear talent but perhaps need a bit of time to develop yet.

Can we with our budget afford to part with £3m (if that figure is true) on Lennon Miller to allow him to possibly develop into a good player? It's a lot of money for a 17 year old who yes has had a good year how much would he play for us to continue his development?

Can't see us being in a position to spend probably a significant chunk of our budget on essentially a project player. We've got far too many issues to address first.

Maybe if we made a big sale but that's not looking likely.
I think we should have money set aside for exactly that type of signing - especially when all indications are we would at least get our money back should the project not get off the ground or to be expected.
Maybe not a big sale, but there could be champions league money there, if so it's a no brainer for me, it's basically investing in our future.

This all day mate.

The 3 of them played midfield for Scotland 19s against Italy 19s last month and never got a kick.

3 of them miles off being able to start for rangers
You might well be right but have you ever said anyone Scottish is good enough ??? because for me these threads are just packed with confirmation bias..... he plays for Killie or Hearts or Motherwell or is a youth player no English side has signed yet... so they wont be good enough. Just spend another 5m on a foreigner or have a look at the 2nd league down south see if anyones contract is almost up.

You mention being able to start for Rangers. Well subs are important and if we look at the midfield at the moment we are not exactly packed with quality.

I would look at the two Dundee midfielders Luke McCowan and Lyall Cameron. However we must start to give our own youth players a chance. Bailey Rice , Lovelace and McKinnon. McKinnon in particular if we are not going to give a chance should be sold as he is a bit older.
How has Arron Lyall been doing at Airdrieonians I see he started v champions elect midweek

I'd prioritise first team ready players first.

If we spend £6m on two young midfielders with potential, Scottish or not, it will be silver medals next year as well.
They might not win us the league next season but they could play a vital part in title winning teams for many years to come. Is that more of a gamble on a player at 26/27 like Lammers that we sign for the same, or more and flop?

We have Wright's replacement in McCausland he helps the club trained quota for next season as he turns 21 in July. Lowry would be another to contribute to that quota figure as he also turns 21 but whether he has a future with us is questionable I don't think he does but we will see. Armstrong wouldn't be anything more than a squad player for us anyway McCausland is more than capable of playing that role it allows us to divert the funds to a player of better quality for that position.

McCrorie needs to move on for the sake of his own career unless he's happy to play number two for the rest of his career. Would have thought he would have left in January to be honest so he could try get in the Euro squad given he's been in squads this season.

Barron would probably make sense given he's a free transfer but is he really a first team starter for us or just another squad player?

We need squad players as well. We can't just have 14 or 15 players that we consider starters.

I'd prioritise first team ready players first.

If we spend £6m on two young midfielders with potential, Scottish or not, it will be silver medals next year as well.
I would argue that both are already good players, Miller especially, who have shown that they are on a different level to their teammates against both us and them.

The alternative is we wait til they're definitely confirmed as first team ready then are priced out of a move to us by bottom end EPL teams.

I think we should have money set aside for exactly that type of signing - especially when all indications are we would at least get our money back should the project not get off the ground or to be expected.
Maybe not a big sale, but there could be champions league money there, if so it's a no brainer for me, it's basically investing in our future.
We run at a loss without player trading. Where do we get money to set aside?

Our net spend last summer was around £3m. That was after a year of champions league money.

The summer before we made a huge profit on player sales but barely broke even in our accounts.

That's why we don't spend money on projects.

Can we with our budget afford to part with £3m (if that figure is true) on Lennon Miller to allow him to possibly develop into a good player? It's a lot of money for a 17 year old who yes has had a good year how much would he play for us to continue his development?
You say develop into a good player if we were spending 3m we would have to be sure he is already a very good player.

I would turn that question around and ask, can we afford to continue to ignore our youths and Scottish talent just to buy players that excite fans and cos they come from better leagues ?

They might not win us the league next season but they could play a vital part in title winning teams for many years to come. Is that more of a gamble on a player at 26/27 like Lammers that we sign for the same, or more and flop?

Or we spend similar amounts on players with Diomande and Cortes profile?

We run at a loss without player trading. Where do we get money to set aside?

Our net spend last summer was around £3m. That was after a year of champions league money.

The summer before we made a huge profit on player sales but barely broke even in our accounts.

That's why we don't spend money on projects.
Perhaps we need a change in strategy in the transfer market in that case because it's not been working as it is.

We need squad players as well. We can't just have 14 or 15 players that we consider starters.

I know that we do but they need to be at least of good quality. Barron will be decent enough as a squad player but to be honest I would like us to start trying to bring through our own players like a Bailey Rice for example.

The problem is development time, look at some of the chat about Mccausland not being good enough when he's started less than 20 games.

Then the same people then say we should have signed Ferguson 3 years ago and given him years to develop into the player he is now.

You might well be right but have you ever said anyone Scottish is good enough ??? because for me these threads are just packed with confirmation bias..... he plays for Killie or Hearts or Motherwell or is a youth player no English side has signed yet... so they wont be good enough. Just spend another 5m on a foreigner or have a look at the 2nd league down south see if anyones contract is almost up.

You mention being able to start for Rangers. Well subs are important and if we look at the midfield at the moment we are not exactly packed with quality.

The only Scottish player good enough at that age for us currently is Ben doak, can’t see us getting him

I would argue that both are already good players, Miller especially, who have shown that they are on a different level to their teammates against both us and them.

The alternative is we wait til they're definitely confirmed as first team ready then are priced out of a move to us by bottom end EPL teams.
They are already priced out of a move to us. We aren't going to pay the guts of £3m for players that can't get into our team right now. And they wouldn't.

They are two talented young players with potential. They may go on to become top international players. They may not. Plenty of them don't. Scott Allen? David Turnbull?

Our objective next season is to win the league. That won't happen with two teenagers in midfield. They might be great players at 21/22. That's still 3-4 years and a massive learning curve away. With no guarantee that they are ever good enough.

If we were in a better financial position or didn't need to bring in almost a whole team, then maybe we would try and bring one of them in. Or maybe our thinking is, we already have Bailey Rice, a young, top rated Scottish player with potential. Why do we need a 2nd one in the same position?

It's not a no brainer at all to spend, what for us, serious money on Watson and Miller. In fact, it's not a great idea at all.

They are already priced out of a move to us. We aren't going to pay the guts of £3m for players that can't get into our team right now. And they wouldn't.

They are two talented young players with potential. They may go on to become top international players. They may not. Plenty of them don't. Scott Allen? David Turnbull?

Our objective next season is to win the league. That won't happen with two teenagers in midfield. They might be great players at 21/22. That's still 3-4 years and a massive learning curve away. With no guarantee that they are ever good enough.

If we were in a better financial position or didn't need to bring in almost a whole team, then maybe we would try and bring one of them in. Or maybe our thinking is, we already have Bailey Rice, a young, top rated Scottish player with potential. Why do we need a 2nd one in the same position?

It's not a no brainer at all to spend, what for us, serious money on Watson and Miller. In fact, it's not a great idea at all.

Maybe if we win the league and have the CL cash guaranteed we could afford make a signing like.

As you rightly point out, our regular budget doesn't allow for those type of signings at that price point.

They might not win us the league any year. That's the thing about potential. Look at Fabio Silva.

So yes, it's more of a gamble.

This is nonsense tbh!

Barron is a great shout.

That was 15 years ago!

Football and time has moved on and its no longer the case.

We are being out spent when it comes to Scottish talent, we cant compete.

I don't think he would command Premiership level wages tbh. He's in and about a Premier League team at the moment though, I think for a free he would be good enough for us for sure. Another player I would go after if we can is that Irish guy who plays for Blackburn just to show it's not background related I base players on for us.

Agree about the Miovski comment if we know where to look. Needle in a haystack territory Miovski though. If we could, and learn our lessons on the Alfie model then yeah, I'm all for it.
Smodzics is an unreal player, fear he would cost too much though.

That was 15 years ago!

Football and time has moved on and its no longer the case.

We are being out spent when it comes to Scottish talent, we cant compete.
We’re outspending on pish from Italy. I’d rather we changed and outspent on Scottish talent. Barron is a no brainer as OOC.

Lennon Miller- would rather spend 3 mil on him than another Dessers or Lammers!

Even £3m would be pretty reasonable based on potential. Especially when you look at how much Wolves paid for Silva based on pretty much the same.
The last few Scottish players we have signed haven’t worked out and that’s probably because the level is about right to where they are playing.

I would have been more hopeful that we have more talent coming through the youth set up.

Perhaps we need a change in strategy in the transfer market in that case because it's not been working as it is.
Identifying players, especially in the £4m or less bracket is a minefield.

Some of our recent successes, Airbo, Bassey, Cantwell, Morelos, Kamara, Sterling, cost us very little. It's when we've pushed the boat out a little we've struggled. Davies, Matondo, Lammers, Dessers for example. Only Yilmaz and only recently has looked like value for money.

All the more reason to be extra vigilant and not go spunking millions on project players.

Think if Miller was 19/20 then would make more sense but at 17 his career could still go either way and £3m is a massive gamble as you say for potential first team player in the future.

Back