Shankland

Last weekend he was crap and big Dessers was the man according to some. Should have been signed in Jan. Put it this way when Dessers is clean through at parkhead nobody is confident in him putting it away. If it was Shankland then 9 times out of ten its a goal.
Hate to burst your bubble but as good as Shankland is, and he is very good in the SPL, his chance conversion rate is not 90%

At the night with Souness at the Armadillo, Clement explained that be had no budget for permanent transfers in January - literally zero pounds.

He said that we had to be clever with loans and even use a wee bit of the summer budget to get things over the line.

So, with that in mind, do the Shankland threads that pop up every time he scores now stop?

The idea that we could or should have taken a £3m or £4m gamble on it are just stupidity, and as I always say, it’s like 2012 didn’t happen to some fans on here,

Might happen in the summer, but it simply couldn’t have happened in January and that is the bottom line.
You have just explained that we did not have the money to sign him and that it might happen in the summer. If he is a Rangers fan scoring fantastic goals banging them in from every angle i dont see anything wrong with fans saying they like him and would want him to join the club. There is a thousand threads on foreign teams foreign players, sky, EPL, Italian, German football, Messi etc for folk to talk about and gush over.

If the manager can win the league and says he likes him or is interested you will probably see a complete u-turn by pretty much everyone that gets upset with these threads. The lad is clearly class i think he will sign but it wont be cheap and only if we win the league.

Shanksy could sign a bosman pre-contract with us in 9 months time.

Then we could sign him for free next summer or for a small fee in January.

Yes he's getting on in years but I could see him banging in goals until he is 33/34.

He would be a good option to have as 2nd or 3rd choice striker, a good impact sub.

As we have seen this season although we only play with one out and out striker we need at least 3 players to play in that position because of injuries.

Shanksy could sign a bosman pre-contract with us in 9 months time.

Then we could sign him for free next summer or for a small fee in January.

Yes he's getting on in years but I could see him banging in goals until he is 33/34.

He would be a good option to have as 2nd or 3rd choice striker, a good impact sub.

As we have seen this season although we only play with one out and out striker we need at least 3 players to play in that position because of injuries.
I think most of us would take him at a reasonable price, the problem in January was that Hearts were wanting crazy money. They'll probably still want the same in the summer as well.

I think most of us would take him at a reasonable price, the problem in January was that Hearts were wanting crazy money. They'll probably still want the same in the summer as well.
I think they will be far more reasonable in the summer, it’s not the middle of the season so they will have plenty of time to source a replacement, he will only have 1 year left, and he has now rejected their contract offer and presumably told them he will be leaving, all things that weren’t factors in January.

However that’s assuming Phil actually wants him, which is by no means certain.

At the night with Souness at the Armadillo, Clement explained that be had no budget for permanent transfers in January - literally zero pounds.

He said that we had to be clever with loans and even use a wee bit of the summer budget to get things over the line.

So, with that in mind, do the Shankland threads that pop up every time he scores now stop?

The idea that we could or should have taken a £3m or £4m gamble on it are just stupidity, and as I always say, it’s like 2012 didn’t happen to some fans on here,

Might happen in the summer, but it simply couldn’t have happened in January and that is the bottom line.
How much were the loan fees for Silva in particular, but also Diomande and Cortes, if any at all.
Don’t get me wrong, the latter two do seem like decent investment but our priority was still a goalscorer, as proven by us ultimately signing Silva.

How much were the loan fees for Silva in particular, but also Diomande and Cortes, if any at all.
Don’t get me wrong, the latter two do seem like decent investment but our priority was still a goalscorer, as proven by us ultimately signing Silva.
It’s been said repeatedly throughout this tedious Shankland saga, but to sign him in January was going to require a big fee, money we just did not have.

People were tying themselves in knots convinced of nebulous deals that could have been done with Hearts to stagger or defer payment, but it was complete fantasy - we simply could not afford to buy him, or for that matter anyone.

If we fail to win the title there’s going to be a deluge of posts repeating this same mindless mantra and it’ll continue right through until August.

Oh joy!

It’s been said repeatedly throughout this tedious Shankland saga, but to sign him in January was going to require a big fee, money we just did not have.

People were tying themselves in knots convinced of nebulous deals that could have been done with Hearts to stagger or defer payment, but it was complete fantasy - we simply could not afford to buy him, or for that matter anyone.

If we fail to win the title there’s going to be a deluge of posts repeating this same mindless mantra and it’ll continue right through until August.

Oh joy!
Yep, there was no way we were signing him in January because we couldn’t afford him.

It really is that simple.

Goes without saying though, best of British to him against the beggars!

Oh joy!

You've just described a big part of the summer transfer thread until he signs a new contract with Hearts or moves to another team.
Anyway hopefully he scores a hat trick today and then gets a red card for putting one of them out for the rest of the season.

Oh joy!
This. And, whilst I really like Shankland, is he really the difference between winning and losing the league? He missed a couple of sitters versus Holland. It’s not like he’s a young Robbie Fowler in terms of finishing.

Would love him to burst their bubble but can't see it. The confidence is oozing from plastic face and their players. They will want revenge for the games earlier in the season. The bheasts will probably win by two or three.
as usual we have gave rodgers a get out of jail card,when the pressure was mounting on the creepy bastard

Would love him to burst their bubble but can't see it. The confidence is oozing from plastic face and their players. They will want revenge for the games earlier in the season. The bheasts will probably win by two or three.
I’m a bit afraid of us being steamrollered today.

However, 2 things you can be assured of:

Shanks loves a goal against them and if he gets a big chance, he has better odds of taking it than anyone else.

Despite what most think of Naismith on here (and I probably agree with a lot of it) one thing that can’t be denied is that he hates the rats and will have no interest in playing for laughs today despite us having nothing to compete for in terms of league placing.

He has zero pace outside the box, doesn’t fit our system and his purple patch will end soon.
We need to sign younger players with sell-on value.
The 90s are no more.

Unfortunately when it got tight they puffed their chests out and we went in to our shell.
Sadly you are right, we had it all in our hands, they were on the ropes, we were brimming with confidence………….then we absolutely shat the bed, losing to Motherwell and a dismal Ross County side, then drawing with the beggars and Dundee.

Our last good performance was away to Benfica. Quite an incredible, and very depressing collapse

Last edited:
Where on earth was the cash coming from?

Clement actually said we had no cash to spend as Beale blew the entire years budget in the summer.
Diomande, Cortes and Silva won't have cost nothing. We could easily have afforded Shankland in January. Whether it was the right or wrong call we will find out over the next 3 weeks.

Diomande, Cortes and Silva won't have cost nothing. We could easily have afforded Shankland in January. Whether it was the right or wrong call we will find out over the next 3 weeks.
Sorry, but this just isn’t right at all.

Hearts were after top dollar, if we could easily have afforded him, why did we then have to do a loan with a guaranteed obligation to buy on Diomande? We did it because we couldn’t afford to buy him in January.

There was simply no way we were buying Shankland in January

2 months since Shankland scored from open play. He's scored 1 penalty during this period.

He has zero pace outside the box, doesn’t fit our system and his purple patch will end soon.
We need to sign younger players with sell-on value.
The 90s are no more.
His purple patch is already over.

Hearts have nothing to play for too there players are on holiday mode and Shankland being one of them.

Its our own fault we blew it and the mentally challengeds are too good but to blow it twice in one season its never happening we had our chance.
They need a point to officially secure third. Only glimmer of hope I’m clinging to for today haha

But in reality, we blew it and the leagues done. No point tormenting ourselves now

Hearts have nothing to play for too there players are on holiday mode and Shankland being one of them.

Its our own fault we blew it and the mentally challengeds are too good but to blow it twice in one season its never happening we had our chance.
I’m usually a glass half full kind of guy, but I’m also a realist and I have to agree with you. It’s not impossible of course, but unlikely now.

Sadly we have seen this movie before. I think it’s opening Clement’s eyes to what we have to do in the summer, I just hope the board can afford to match that and Koppen can find a few bargains.

Sorry, but this just isn’t right at all.

Hearts were after top dollar, if we could easily have afforded him, why did we then have to do a loan with a guaranteed obligation to buy on Diomande? We did it because we couldn’t afford to buy him in January.

There was simply no way we were buying Shankland in January
I don't think we could have got him on top of those 3 signings but for what Hearts were after which was £4-5m it wouldn't have been impossible if Shankland had been the priority.

Even taking the deal for Dio out of the picture as its more of a summer deal done early we will have easily spent £2.5m on loan fees and wages for Silva and Cortes. That money would have been enough for the first instalment on a £4-£5m deal for Shankland.

Back